PDA

View Full Version : Wheeled or Tracked Boxer mini

PerfiCut L&L
04-10-2009, 06:35 AM
Were looking at getting picking up a Boxer 427 to help with the digging labor of puting in small patios and walkways. I'm undecided if we should get one with tracks or wheeled. The sales rep says you tend to get less traction with the wheeled machines thus reducing its digging force. However, you gain a little extra ground speed, and are able to make sharper turns while doing less damage, as well as getting a little better traction in the snow (if we decide to use it for that)

Just wondering what your opions are on these mini's with regards to wheeled or track driven.

YardPro
04-10-2009, 07:57 AM
get the tracked... no question.

cmlandscapeconstruction
04-10-2009, 09:00 AM
I would take the tracked machine. just know that the daily operating cost is higher also if you plan on spending any substantial amount of time operating this machine on any hard surface other than soil you will burn through tracks. if you must operate on cement/asphalt do everything in your power to run the machine without turning. if digging is the main function go tracked.

PerfiCut L&L
04-10-2009, 11:27 AM
good points so far. 98% of the work will be done in the yard, with an occasional trip across the asphault or what not.

Is anyone using a wheeled machine? and what cons have you experienced with them?

l3en007
04-14-2009, 12:18 AM
do these little boxers go for? is there a site where i can check them out at ? thanks...

Mid-Ohio Scaper
04-14-2009, 01:16 AM
do these little boxers go for? is there a site where i can check them out at ? thanks...

I know a used Bobcat mini loader is anywhere from $15,000 to $20,000.
Here's a link to Bobcat's
http://www.bobcat.com/loaders/product_lines/mini_track_loader

CALandscapes
04-14-2009, 01:27 AM
We just purchased a Bobcat MT52 (tracked). I personally did not even consider any of the wheeled model mini-skids...

Mid-Ohio Scaper
04-14-2009, 01:35 AM
Personally, if I'm gonna spend $20,000 on a machine I'm gonna opt for a full size used loader and have the extra power just in case I might need it. I rented one of those mini loaders once and was extremely disappointed. It had no power, it couldn't reach high enough to load into my trailer or truck, and it was a killer on my back while I tried to operate & hold myself on the damn thing at the same time.
The mini skid is just not for me. JMO :nono:

jg244888
04-14-2009, 08:53 AM
do a search its been over talked about!!!!

PerfiCut L&L
04-15-2009, 08:45 AM
Boxer is running a special due to over production last year. $5k off retail price through the end of the month.

We priced a 427 with bucket and a set of forks. $15k including tax. The wheeled version is $1k less.

Lawnworks
04-16-2009, 12:19 AM
I don't think the operating cost of a tracked mini is that much more than a wheeled unit. The operating costs are not as expensive as the full sized skids. I would go for a tracked unit.

Have you tried other models? Just about any of them is better than a boxer.

Lawnworks
04-16-2009, 12:22 AM
Personally, if I'm gonna spend $20,000 on a machine I'm gonna opt for a full size used loader and have the extra power just in case I might need it. I rented one of those mini loaders once and was extremely disappointed. It had no power, it couldn't reach high enough to load into my trailer or truck, and it was a killer on my back while I tried to operate & hold myself on the damn thing at the same time.
The mini skid is just not for me. JMO :nono:

There is definately a niche for mini's. It sounds like you were asking a mini to perform a full sized skid's job. Mini's definately have their place. I use my mini about 4 days a week compared to one day a week for my Cat 262.

PerfiCut L&L
04-17-2009, 06:20 AM
We've decided to get the 427 wheeled unit. At a total price including bucket of $13200 I couldnt pass it up.

Unit is brand new, and comes with a 3 year warranty. We could have already saved a number of hours on several jobs so far this season.

Looks like were going to pick it up tomorrow morning. Perhaps a nice snow blower attachment for next winter, we might even be able to put it to use on some of our large walkway projects.

bigviclbi
04-17-2009, 06:52 AM
Sounds really cheap? Is that a smaller model? I would love to get a mini for all those jobs that are too small for a skid steer but take 3 guys a day to dig by hand. Can't wait for you to show some pics and let us know how this thing works out for you.

PerfiCut L&L
04-20-2009, 09:51 AM
We just picked up our machine Saturday, and this thing is sweet. We were able to demo this machine and were pretty pleased with its performance. The shop owner had a pile of gravel out back, so we were able to do some digging, and moving of aggregate. The ground was still wet from the rain last week, but even then, the wheeled machine performed quite well.

We even had a chance to demo the next size up tracked machine. Personaly, didnt notice a lot of difference. The tracks seemed to slip at about the same load point as the wheeled unit.

The nice thing about the wheeled unit, is it has a fast ground speed. So no crawling across the field to get to where you need to go.

Overall: thus far, extremely happy with the unit, especially at the price. If you dont have one, you might want to take a look into them before the end of the month, when the $5000 rebate dissappears.

Cant wait to use it next week on a real job.
:clapping: