PDA

View Full Version : first job of the year!

Hardscaping
04-10-2009, 04:17 PM
here are some pictures of my first job this year.

Design and build. The berm was put in place to help with noise from a busy street, that wasn't so busy before the new construction of houses and shopping plaza.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/bboyfrost_7/IMG00442.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/bboyfrost_7/IMG00443.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/bboyfrost_7/IMG00442-1.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/bboyfrost_7/IMG00441.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/bboyfrost_7/IMG00437.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/bboyfrost_7/IMG00464.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/bboyfrost_7/IMG00465.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/bboyfrost_7/IMG00466.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/bboyfrost_7/IMG00467.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/bboyfrost_7/IMG00468.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/bboyfrost_7/IMG00470.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/bboyfrost_7/IMG00471.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/bboyfrost_7/IMG00475.jpg

fool32696
04-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Interesting, you need some color to hide the dirt pile.

Hardscaping
04-10-2009, 04:40 PM
that is mulch on top of there. they didn't want colored mulch wanted natural stuff. they are still planting the whole thing out. they have about half of the one side planted already. just nothing has bloomed yet.

once everything is planted and mulch is finished it will look really nice.

DVS Hardscaper
04-10-2009, 05:45 PM
why are the boulders not having staggered joint lines???

mrusk
04-10-2009, 07:35 PM

The pattern has straight joint lines! DUh

Isobel
04-10-2009, 10:49 PM
The pattern has straight joint lines! DUh

i think the point he was trying to make was that staggered joint lines would hold up better than non-staggered lines.

Aside from that, that is one impressive berm! and I like the stone interspersed in there. I'd love to see what gets planted.

punt66
04-10-2009, 10:53 PM
I dont get it.

Hardscaping
04-10-2009, 11:11 PM
there are some plants put in already. not sure what they are but once everything starts to grow and is finished planting i think it will look really good.

the stager is there just a coupl places it is striaght up lines. it was what we had to work with on the taller section. the stones used in the area in front of the house where picked for the job.

Hardscaping
04-10-2009, 11:15 PM
the pictures really do not do this job any good at all. i was actually debating paying someone to take professional pictures of this job. Because i cannot get the right angle. I am going to wait until the sod is layed and everything is finally cleaned up. then i am going to take a boat load of pictures and if i cannot get a good one i will pay someone to professionally take them for me. i want the finished pictures of this job to be part of my advertising.

I would love to be doing this type of thing all the time, along with retaining walls. i would be extactic with joy if that is the only work i got. But unfortuneatly not everyone wants to pay for this type of thing to be done.

DVS Hardscaper
04-11-2009, 12:14 AM
yeah, I'm not really feeling it. The arrangement of the boulders leaves little to be desired. Doesn't look natural. Sorry.

Hardscaping
04-11-2009, 12:42 AM
I think once sod is in place it will look a hell of alot better then it does now. the look now still gives it the construction look. once sod is in and the whole thing is planted it will give it a more natural appeal.

I think for the one of the first times ever doing armorstone type of work it is a great turn out.

Mid-Ohio Scaper
04-11-2009, 10:06 AM
I think it's gonna take more than a professional photographer to make it look any better. Maybe a contractor with some know-how and vision? Sorry, JMO.

PlatinumLandCon
04-11-2009, 11:03 AM

First thing I thought of.......

No comment on this one.

Hardscaping
04-11-2009, 11:12 AM
everybody is entiltled to their opinion.

the main thing is that the customer is happy with it.

just thought i would share the job on here for others to see.

zedosix
04-11-2009, 11:19 AM
When constructing an armourstone wall, try to find rock that is equal or close to being equal in thickness. It will give a much cleaner look!

Isobel
04-11-2009, 11:43 AM
everybody is entiltled to their opinion.

the main thing is that the customer is happy with it.

just thought i would share the job on here for others to see.

joint lines aside, I like it!
to me it gives the impression that the new section of landscape has been there for years, and doesn't stand out in stark contrast.

:drinkup:

Hardscaping
04-11-2009, 12:21 PM
joint lines aside, I like it!
to me it gives the impression that the new section of landscape has been there for years, and doesn't stand out in stark contrast.

:drinkup:

Once everything is finished and cleaned up you guys will think the flow of it runs alot better. then thing is that there was a wall already in place with smaller stones. i tried to transition to the bigger stuff.

i think most opinions will change once finished.

Hardscaping
04-11-2009, 12:26 PM
When constructing an armourstone wall, try to find rock that is equal or close to being equal in thickness. It will give a much cleaner look!

thing is that alot of the stone was already there. the stuff i picked was the stuff the bench was made from and the bigger stones. the rest of it was already at the house and i had to make something with what was there rather than the customer paying for an extra 3 tons of stones.

i think the flow is fine. the joint lines are not much different then what is in you picture.

another thing is your picture looks good nothing against it, but my customer wouldve flipped if i had to make a wall that looks like that. it wouldn't flow with the landscape that was already in place. When adding to something that is already in place you need to make it flow together and not stick out like a sore thumb. Some would say that takes a certain skill. i just say it takes more time. put a few stones in stand back take a look, then take out and replace, and repeat until desired look attained.

the ultimate goal was to create the berm and not have it stick out from what other landscapes are already in place.

burnthecouch
04-11-2009, 12:39 PM
I'm sure those trees close to the berm will also enjoy the added 4 feet of soil over their roots as well :cry:

Isobel
04-11-2009, 01:05 PM
which trees are those? I don't see any evidence of that

soopa
04-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Not sure I get the look entirely either, but I'll reserve that judgment until it's all finished and grown in. That said, glad to see you're working! Looks like a fun job to start the year off with too... nothing too tedious I would imagine.

stuvecorp
04-11-2009, 01:55 PM
The berm is too big, looks like you backed the truck up and set rocks around it. It may have helped to use larger rocks.

btammo
04-19-2009, 08:44 AM
Seems the problem is that the berm is too high. A berm that high needs to be wider at the bottom so it looks more rounded and not like a steep pile of dirt. That in itself would help it look better. Personally i am not sure why the homeowner would want that big pile of dirt in front of their house.....to each his own i guess.

PerfectEarth
04-19-2009, 08:49 AM
No offense to the poster if that is indeed what the customer wanted exactly- but that looks flat out horrible. Looks like a massive grave site. Rock placement is highly questionable.

zedosix
04-19-2009, 10:18 AM
I'm sure those trees close to the berm will also enjoy the added 4 feet of soil over their roots as well :cry:

My thought too! btw, has that tree sprouted any buds yet? At least they will have firewood in a few years, thats called forward thinking.:laugh:

DVS Hardscaper
04-19-2009, 11:17 AM
Yeah, maybe this threadwas mis-named.

Perhaps Hardscaper meant to name it 'First Job of My Career'??

burnthecouch
04-19-2009, 12:39 PM
My thought too! btw, has that tree sprouted any buds yet? At least they will have firewood in a few years, thats called forward thinking.:laugh:

More like job security maybe he has a tree work division planned for the future

Hardscaping
04-19-2009, 08:12 PM
you guys are horrible. Nothing better to do then critic everything as much as you can. Anyways i think the job looks good in person and will post the finished pictures once sod starts being cut.

zedosix
04-19-2009, 08:51 PM
you guys are horrible. Nothing better to do then critic everything as much as you can. Anyways i think the job looks good in person and will post the finished pictures once sod starts being cut.

Underneath all of our cynisism is a bunch of pretty good guys. We're just bustin your balls.

Hardscaping
04-19-2009, 09:07 PM
yeah i know that is why i keep coming back here. i don't mind the critic just sometimes goes overboard.

anyways hope this year is as good for everybody as it is being for me. i have more work then last year so far. it is a good year.

Hardscaping
07-09-2009, 01:06 AM
Yeah, maybe this threadwas mis-named.

Perhaps Hardscaper meant to name it 'First Job of My Career'??

look at these pictures. you might just change your mind.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/bboyfrost_7/erbstberm2.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y300/bboyfrost_7/erbstberm.jpg

this job is going to be put in a garden tour going through waterloo ontario this weekend as well on sunday.

the westvale community association garden tour. in waterloo ontario.

i will be there this weekend to take a few more picture as well. now that it has all grown in i can take some decent pictures of it.

Isobel
07-09-2009, 10:02 AM
So in all seriousness, are the stones a seating area?

Mid-Ohio Scaper
07-09-2009, 10:52 AM
I still don't know what to think of it...................:confused:

Hardscaping
07-09-2009, 03:45 PM
yeah it is noted in the garden tour as bens bench. i made it as a vocal point for the berm. something rather than a bunch of soil a rock together. i think it looks good.

punt66
07-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Looks much better grown in. But the bench area i would have done different.

Isobel
07-09-2009, 07:01 PM
looks good. =) I really like the bench built into the berm.

wurkn with amish
07-09-2009, 09:19 PM
so the bench will speak as people pass by?????????? or do you mean FOCAL POINT?

punt66
07-09-2009, 09:58 PM
If you look at your keyboard the f is next to the v. Doesnt take a genuis to figure out its a typo. Nice useless shot though.

zedosix
07-09-2009, 10:28 PM
Looks much better grown in. But the bench area i would have done different.

That is the beauty of natural stone. You take the same 10 or so boulders and give them to 10 different people. You will end up with 10 different looking benches. Its why I love to work with rock, its an individual thing, like a piece of art. If someone doesn't like it in the future they take it down and make a freakin inuk-shuk or something.

DVS Hardscaper
07-09-2009, 10:41 PM
If you look at your keyboard the f is next to the v. Doesnt take a genuis to figure out its a typo. Nice useless shot though.

It appears some here need to have a beer or two to relax before they play on the internet! Or maybe some are past due for a vacation? :)

I believe wurkin was being funny!

kootoomootoo
07-09-2009, 11:37 PM
Fred and Barney would luv it.

Hardscaping
07-10-2009, 12:22 AM
Fred and Barney would luv it.

so would my grandma but that is beside the point, that this work looks good.

Thank you for the comments really appreciate them.

Hardscaping
07-10-2009, 12:26 AM
so the bench will speak as people pass by?????????? or do you mean FOCAL POINT?

As a matter of fact the bench WILL speak as they go by.

It will speak wonders about how good my work is.

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:
GOOD TRY

DVS Hardscaper
07-10-2009, 08:16 AM
I dunno. The concept is cool, but the surroundings is still sparse and bland and the bench-work is choppy (lacking flow). The bench looks high? Usually a bench is 18-24" ht, as thats the typical ht of a kitchen or dinning room chair.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
07-10-2009, 12:47 PM
That is the beauty of natural stone. You take the same 10 or so boulders and give them to 10 different people. You will end up with 10 different looking benches. Its why I love to work with rock, its an individual thing, like a piece of art. If someone doesn't like it in the future they take it down and make a freakin inuk-shuk or something.

Excatly!

But what the hell is a inuk-shuk?:)

zedosix
07-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Excatly!

But what the hell is a inuk-shuk?:)

this is an inukshuk

wurkn with amish
07-10-2009, 10:13 PM
some people can't take criticism or get upset when Korrected.......

punt66
07-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Korrected? Is that a word? :)

Mid-Ohio Scaper
07-11-2009, 02:37 AM
Korrected? Is that a word? :)

Sometimes it's a lot more fun to make up your own spelling, keeps people on their toes!:dizzy:

punt66
07-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Sometimes it's a lot more fun to make up your own spelling, keeps people on their toes!:dizzy:
yea, i normally dont point these things out unless its one of those spelling police guys. He is one. Always makes me laugh.

wurkn with amish
07-11-2009, 09:46 PM
Punt get a life... I did that on purpose. Notice it is capitalized.

kootoomootoo
07-12-2009, 03:07 PM
that would be Korrect

punt66
07-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Punt get a life... I did that on purpose. Notice it is capitalized.
Me get a life? hahah Your highlight of the day is pointing out a person miss typed. Exciting.

Hardscaping
07-12-2009, 07:25 PM
you guys need more work to keep you busy.
instead of getting into conflicts on this site.

punt66
07-12-2009, 07:35 PM
the same could be said with you. :) I guess i will stop defending people like you. Good luck with your future projects.

Hardscaping
07-13-2009, 11:49 AM
the same can be said against me i would love to have more work right at this moment, i just got back from vacation so i had a little time to relax and waste some time on here. i appreciate that there are some people that don't go after everybody ever chance they get. there are not many people that are like that, most guys like to nit pick and bother everybody they can.

I wish everybody the best of luck, i would say since this is the week i am starting again, i will not be coming back on for a while.

hope you guys have not felt too much of a hit because of this recession we are in.

PatriotLandscape
07-18-2009, 01:46 PM
how do you not have a back log in July?

You guys need more networking or something. If you go on vacation during your busy season you are missing out on leads. sorry it just seems crazy to me.

DVS Hardscaper
07-18-2009, 04:49 PM
how do you not have a back log in July?

You guys need more networking or something. If you go on vacation during your busy season you are missing out on leads. sorry it just seems crazy to me.

I usually agree with what PatriotLandscape states. However, I do not agree with the quote above.

We just got back from a week long vacation yesterday. Patriot, why would one be "missing out on leads"?? I didn't miss a single lead, and even scheduled appointments with prospective clients. Our leads come in 1 of 2 ways: a) they call on the phone b) they submit the contact form on our web page. My phone was on all day long and I checked my e-mail once in the am and again in the evenings every day.

I usually am booked with appointments 7-14 days in advance at this time of year. I never rush out to do an estimate when someone calls. I try to give them time to meet with the other contractors before they meeting with me.

Life is what you make of it. You can be on vacation and still find minimal time to tend to business in an effortless manner :) I'm seriously thinking next year this time we're either going to the other side of the United States, or we're gonna go visit family in a country in Europe. After all, isn't this why we work such long hours, so we can enjoy what life has to offer???

Bru75
07-19-2009, 01:16 AM
I agree 100 percent, DVS. My work supports my life, not the other way around. I love my job and I love being self employed, but I want to enjoy life.
I check messages and email twice a day on vacation, and return calls the same as I would at home.
There's more to life than work and money.

Isobel
07-19-2009, 01:09 PM
x2

with my iPhone, I can check business emails and stay on top of phone calls throughout the day, no matter where I am. Sometimes that annoys my girlfriend, but she understands the life of the self-employed.

Besides if you don't take time to breathe every once in awhile you'll go insane.

Hardscaping
07-19-2009, 02:36 PM
x2

with my iPhone, I can check business emails and stay on top of phone calls throughout the day, no matter where I am. Sometimes that annoys my girlfriend, but she understands the life of the self-employed.

Besides if you don't take time to breathe every once in awhile you'll go insane.

exactly how i see things.

But one thing about the vacation i took is it had work involved in it. My dad owns two sod farms in newfoundland and he wanted me to bring some seed down there from pickseed manufacturer, here in ontario. So he paid my way down. Also when i was down there i did do a walkway and a retaining wall. about three days from my time down there was put into work, i also grubbed off a backyard while i was down there. I had this work lined up before i even left so i took care of my work while i was gone. i missed on on job that had nothing to do with me being gone. it had to do with the guy didn't want to pay the minimum amount of dollars for the skidsteer service.

Either way everyone needs to get away sometimes. next yeat i am taking 2 weeks right at the begining of the season to go to domican for my honey moon and then egypt to see the pyramids, then to florida for a family thing, that my uncles do every year.

can't have all hard work and no play.