PDA

View Full Version : Cell phones and phone book listings

JimmyStew
04-11-2009, 12:17 PM
I am seriously considering adding a cell phone to my current plan to use as my primary business phone. Currently I have a land-line that runs me about $60 a month depending on long distance. It basically serves as an answering service since I am rarely around to answer it. The account has caller id so I know who calls me. The majority of calls are telemarketers and my regular customers are usually surprised if I answer! In the last few years, my "personal" cell number has been circulated too much. It is nice for people to be able to get in touch with me while I'm out in the field but I need to curb its intrusion in my "after hours" life.

I can add another phone to my cell plan for $10/month and transfer the current office number to that phone. I can easily move my fax machine (which doesn't get used that much anyway) to my house phone. My only real dilemma is what to do about my listings in the yellow/white pages! I do not advertise in the yellow pages. My business line comes with a "free" listing, i.e. My Company...#. This appears in the yellow pages and in the white pages. In this market (small by any standards) people still use the phone book to find numbers of businesses, but extra advertising is not cost effective for this industry in this area. Is there any way to get a listing without paying much, if anything for a cell phone number in either the YP or WP??

Any other thoughts on this plan??

supercuts
04-11-2009, 03:38 PM
if your "adding" the cell just use both?

IN2MOWN
04-11-2009, 05:07 PM
60 bucks a month for a landline????

I pay 25.00 and no long distance fees through my cable company.

LouisianaLawnboy
04-11-2009, 11:29 PM
I market just one phone number. I think it will be difficult for your customers and potential customers to make the switch.

Bru75
04-12-2009, 01:10 AM
I wouldn't do it. Cell phones as a primary line are (in my opinion) unprofessional. I would suggest you get rid of caller ID and anything else that is not necessary (Who cares who called? If it was important they would have left a message.).
Do you guys give out your cell #'s to customers? I go to great lengths to keep mine a secret. I don't want my customers to see me yacking it up with other homeowners while I am on thier time.

LouisianaLawnboy
04-12-2009, 01:17 AM
I wouldn't do it. Cell phones as a primary line are (in my opinion) unprofessional. I would suggest you get rid of caller ID and anything else that is not necessary (Who cares who called? If it was important they would have left a message.).
Do you guys give out your cell #'s to customers? I go to great lengths to keep mine a secret. I don't want my customers to see me yacking it up with other homeowners while I am on thier time.

My cell phone line right now is my home, cell, and biz #. I also have a landline. I plan on eventually getting me another cell phone for my personal use.

Bru75
04-12-2009, 01:33 AM
My cell phone line right now is my home, cell, and biz #. I also have a landline. I plan on eventually getting me another cell phone for my personal use.

Getting a second line for personal use makes sense to me, you've got to be off-duty sometime.
My point about cell's for business is that, at least here, cell #'s have a different prefix than landlines. People can see that the number is a cell phone, and that may not give them the idea that you are a professional, stable company. Maybe I'm old fashioned.

JimmyStew
04-12-2009, 08:37 AM
I though it was clearer in my original post. I would be getting rid of the "land line" BUT switching that phone number over to my wireless provider. Customers would not see a difference. They would call the same phone number to call the "office" and that number is a local "land line" number, so essentially, no one would know it was a cell phone. The main question from my post was, how can I get my number to continue to be listed in the local phone directories, after it becomes a cell phone number and not through the local phone company??

IN2MOWN
04-12-2009, 09:35 AM
I though it was clearer in my original post. I would be getting rid of the "land line" BUT switching that phone number over to my wireless provider. Customers would not see a difference. They would call the same phone number to call the "office" and that number is a local "land line" number, so essentially, no one would know it was a cell phone. The main question from my post was, how can I get my number to continue to be listed in the local phone directories, after it becomes a cell phone number and not through the local phone company??

I dont think you can take a landline # and switch it to a cell carrier. You may want to look into that.

JimmyStew
04-12-2009, 11:37 AM
I dont think you can take a landline # and switch it to a cell carrier. You may want to look into that.

I have and you can.

Jon11
04-12-2009, 12:03 PM
I transfered my office phone to a cell phone (and added it to my current plan for $20 a month)... Saves me about $15 a month, and when 6pm roles around, I just turn that phone off so callers will go straight to voicemail... I also find it a huge advantage to be able to take it on the road with me. I have picked up serveral clients because I was the first person to show up and give an estimate (which I wouldn't have been if I didn't get the message until later that night).

There are also some cell phones that will let you use 2 lines, so you would only have to carry one cell phone... although I prefer two phones.

Also, just a note because there was some confusion with the morons at the cell phone store when I ported the land line over to a cell... it takes about a week to port the number, unlike porting a cell phone to another cell carrier which only takes a few minutes. Your land line will continue to work like normal until just seconds before the phone number switches to the cell... so you will have no down time with that number.

honeydopm
04-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Check into a virtual line. I pay $12 a month and have that line transferred to my cell phone. No equipment to install or any hassle to deal with!

Bru75
04-12-2009, 04:30 PM

I don't have a clue, but would be surprised if the phone company would allow a listing from another provider.

KAG
04-12-2009, 04:35 PM
My main cell # is my biz line. I do not think anyone cares anymore if its a land line or a cell as long as a human answers. My land line is my private residence line and do not give it out to any customers.

Outdoors_Unlimited
04-19-2009, 01:18 AM
I dont think they mind seeing a cell as a number. Many guys around here use their cells as the main line.

I think it gives you an advantage because you are answering their call, and not calling back later in the evening.

Bru75
04-19-2009, 01:59 AM
Hey, whatever works for you!
For me, I hate having to stop work, shut off machines, go to the truck for a pen and paper, ask my new prospective customer to repeat themselves because a truck just drove by all for something that in all likelyhood is not an emergency and could easily wait until I get to the office. Not to mention that I'm on the clock for an existing customer.
My cell is for emergencies, family, and suppliers, period.
I return all calls as soon as I can. I don't believe I have ever lost a job by calling back in the evening, in fact many people thank me for getting back to them so fast.

PLS-Tx
04-19-2009, 02:05 AM
I have and you can.

We have done this also, with no problems.