PDA

View Full Version : Pics from new guy on just starting out

Field King
04-11-2009, 06:41 PM
This is my first year in lawn service, I am starting on a tight budget and am paying cash for everything! Here is a pic of my Ferris 48" belt drive walk behind I bought used and my 21" Lawnboy that I bought at a yard sale for $10, the blower is a Crapsman but I have had it for my yard for 12 years and it still runs strong, the weedeater is a Crapsman also bought at a pawnshop for $60 and used 3 years at home so far, I will add pics of truck and trailer soon, watch me grow! P.S, that is my English Setter bird dog in the background in a kennel I built for him!http://i41.tinypic.com/f0osjm.jpg PLEASE FORGIVE THE CHEAP CAMERA, I AM ON A BUDGET!

Classified
04-11-2009, 06:47 PM
Its a start but dont the cheap cameras have focus? LOL

Turf Commando
04-11-2009, 07:17 PM
I have the same FERRIS mower wouldn't trade it for anything, very reliable good luck see you on the green...!

Field King
04-11-2009, 07:34 PM
I have the same FERRIS mower wouldn't trade it for anything, very reliable good luck see you on the green...!

It pulls just slightly to the left, I guess it can be adjusted but I have not learned how yet, do you know how?

BlackDog3
04-11-2009, 07:40 PM
Looks like a good start man. Good luck to you.

Chris

MJS
04-11-2009, 07:45 PM
It pulls just slightly to the left, I guess it can be adjusted but I have not learned how yet, do you know how?

Should be adjusters on both the left and right sides for the drivebelts. . . one being tighter or looser than the other is usually what causes the pull.

It could also be your tires - I would make sure that they're both inflated equally.

jaybow
04-11-2009, 08:01 PM
This is my first year in lawn service, I am starting on a tight budget and am paying cash for everything! Here is a pic of my Ferris 48" belt drive walk behind I bought used and my 21" Lawnboy that I bought at a yard sale for $10, the blower is a Crapsman but I have had it for my yard for 12 years and it still runs strong, the weedeater is a Crapsman also bought at a pawnshop for $60 and used 3 years at home so far, I will add pics of truck and trailer soon, watch me grow! P.S, that is my English Setter bird dog in the background in a kennel I built for him!http://i41.tinypic.com/f0osjm.jpg PLEASE FORGIVE THE CHEAP CAMERA, I AM ON A BUDGET!

Good mowers to start with but your gonna need a commercial blower and trimmer fast. I would also invest in a commercial stick edger. If you have never used commercial trimmer/blower/edger let me tell you there is a world of difference. You could check the pawn shops.I recomend Stihl and some of the Echoe stuff is good.
And if your not advertising your already running late so get out there and pass out some flyers. Good luck!

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
04-11-2009, 10:07 PM
Good start .
Looking good. I heard good things about Lawnboys (but there loud).
Redmax has a good lite weight trimmer for around $250 but they like there Blowers more $400 to $500

Field King
04-12-2009, 10:20 AM
I have a lead on a used stick edger made by Tanaka and I will be buying Echoe or Stihl trimmers and blowers, thanx for the tips!

BlackCloudDiesel
04-12-2009, 11:52 AM
You should check out Shindaiwa for your small equipment needs! I've been running a large number of their products for years and have never had a problem, knock on wood of course!

IHusky
04-12-2009, 12:20 PM
Good mowers to start with but your gonna need a commercial blower and trimmer fast. I would also invest in a commercial stick edger. If you have never used commercial trimmer/blower/edger let me tell you there is a world of difference.

Great start bro. Good advice here, that blower might have made it 12 years on your yard, but that Crapsman aint going to make it too long under commercial conditions. Get a new commercial trimmer and blower. Go ahead and get a bigger blower to start with, you wont regret it. The small ones are a waste of time. Good luck out there man.

hvphotog
04-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Good luck and make lots of money

Field King
04-12-2009, 04:49 PM
I passed out about 750 flyers, took out 1 ad in a local paper, I have signed 6 residential lawns all from the flyers, only got 2 calls from the paper ad and they did not call after getting the free estimates! Next year I am going to do bulk mailing in a 10 mile radius of my home, has anyone had any luck with bulk mailing ads?

J & D Greens
04-12-2009, 08:22 PM
How many accounts have you landed? You have good enough stuff to get started but without enough lawns it would be futile to spend money on anything other than the edger. It looks like that is the only thing you lack. Get your Insurance and any other requirements your area calls for ASAP if you haven't already. I know starting out is tough. But being able to count all your cost, would be the best way to come up with how much you need to charge to make a good profit. Cutting corners may make you think you can offer the service cheaper than others, but when you establish lower prices when you first start out it will be hard to get what you really deserve when you start getting all your ducks in a row. Just want to caution you. Overhead is something that will take it's toll on all of us who are trying to make a go of it if we don't watch ever purchase we make, every price we quote, and cover your back. Spend $$$$$$$ to make $ ??????
But sincerely I hope you have a great season! Good luck David

Turf Commando
04-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Should be adjusters on both the left and right sides for the drivebelts. . . one being tighter or looser than the other is usually what causes the pull.

Agreed, also it adjusts the braking ...

2brothersyardcare
04-13-2009, 07:35 AM
im starting out got the 21 and the hand helds no mower wish i had that feris man there nice

mowerdude777
04-13-2009, 06:01 PM
That is a good setup for starting off.

deerewashed
04-14-2009, 06:58 PM
Good mowers to start with but your gonna need a commercial blower and trimmer fast. I would also invest in a commercial stick edger. If you have never used commercial trimmer/blower/edger let me tell you there is a world of difference. You could check the pawn shops.I recomend Stihl and some of the Echoe stuff is good.
And if your not advertising your already running late so get out there and pass out some flyers. Good luck!

i just flip my weed whip over and bam edger... but if you have the money stick edger is better

lifetree
04-14-2009, 07:48 PM
You need to get some new pictures posted ... ones that we can see !!

Field King
04-14-2009, 07:50 PM
You need to get some new pictures posted ... ones that we can see !!

thanx! I will?

lawnmowing guy
04-14-2009, 09:08 PM
I passed out about 750 flyers, took out 1 ad in a local paper, I have signed 6 residential lawns all from the flyers, only got 2 calls from the paper ad and they did not call after getting the free estimates! Next year I am going to do bulk mailing in a 10 mile radius of my home, has anyone had any luck with bulk mailing ads?

I'm just starting out too. I have the same equipment you have except my two mowers are Deere's. I used bulk mailing (well sorta)to get customers and it worked pretty well. I found an internet site that will make postcards. Has a picture of a guy mowing on the front and you can write whatever you want on the back. I bought about 1,000 for $70 or something like that. I used zillow.com to find the addresses on the streets I am targetting (zillow is also nice cause it gives you an aerial of the property and the sq. footage) and then mailed the postcards to that street. So far from about 250 postcards mailed I have 12 new accounts. :cool2:

BTM Lawn Maintenance L.L.C
04-14-2009, 10:42 PM
I'm just starting out too. I have the same equipment you have except my two mowers are Deere's. I used bulk mailing (well sorta)to get customers and it worked pretty well. I found an internet site that will make postcards. Has a picture of a guy mowing on the front and you can write whatever you want on the back. I bought about 1,000 for $70 or something like that. I used zillow.com to find the addresses on the streets I am targetting (zillow is also nice cause it gives you an aerial of the property and the sq. footage) and then mailed the postcards to that street. So far from about 250 postcards mailed I have 12 new accounts. :cool2:

Not bad at all guy !!! keep them coming in and good luck !! Thumbs Up

Ben's Landscape
04-20-2009, 08:18 PM
Nice equipment to start out with!! My first mower was a Lawn boy also great machine. Good luck this season. Keep us posted on your sucess!!!