PDA

View Full Version : Quick cut stihl

irrigation lemieux
04-12-2009, 10:39 AM
How about a quick cut for installing wire.Also if we double the blade so the trench is wider(half inch):drinkup:

Lite4
04-12-2009, 10:45 AM
We are buying a line ward this year for long cable installs.

www.Lineward.com

Pro-Scapes
04-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Tim I have about 3 yrs experience with the linewards when I used to install cable. They can be a great tool and if you walk on the lawn then run a blower over it you can really barley see the mark. During the growing season it would be noticable for only a short period of time.

Sometimes taking it off the trailer... setting it up (threading it with cable) running it and then taking the time to unload plow etc then you still need to bury the last few feet yourself can take more time than a couple of guys grabbing a good sharp spade and having at it.

If you are going 300 ft plus if can be an asset I guess in saving your back.

I also have a brown mfg trench master I have used all of twice. Both times were in dirt areas.

David Gretzmier
04-13-2009, 02:06 PM
our local invisable dog fence guy uses a line ward and loves it. I use a stihl blade edger with new blade and make a couple of passes to get me past bermuda or zoysia grass roots. hit it with a straight spade and bury. I've tried a 12 inch carbide tipped blade on the stihl without the guard and it works ok, but kinda scary if a rock flys out.

I've also tested the ez trench and it works well. we have pretty rocky soil here, and the sewing machine type plows can not work so well on rocks, but the saw blade type ( ez trench ) work better. at about 2-3 grand, not really a ton of money to save your back. also, having a specalized machine will give your company that professional look.

Pro-Scapes
04-13-2009, 08:08 PM
Dont forget the DMR unit as well. I know this was discussed in detail in the past. Its a converted rototiller

irrigation lemieux
04-13-2009, 09:29 PM
so a edger work fine .how deep is the trench.do you use only the edger for your jobs.

David Gretzmier
04-13-2009, 09:34 PM
The stihl edger with a fresh edger blade will only go to 3-4 inches deep or so. with a 12" blade it will go closer to 5 inches. I usually open it up with the stihl and then augment with spade. I use the stihl to edge a few properties I do maintenace on.

David Gretzmier
04-13-2009, 09:35 PM
The stihl edger with a fresh edger blade will only go to 3-4 inches deep or so. with a 12" blade it will go closer to 5 inches. I usually open it up with the stihl and then augment with spade. I use the stihl to edge a few properties I do work on.