PDA

View Full Version : A first pickup truck??

rangerdanger
04-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Hey, I've been browsing here for awhile and I'm amazed by the amount of info one can get from here.

On to the topic, I'm 16, turning 17 in October. Hopefully before the year it out, or right after new year, I'll be purchasing my first truck. I'm looking into the half ton size class, like the Dodge 1500, Chevy/GMC 1500, etc. I'm a tree climber/arborist in training by trade(working with our company and going to college for an arboriculture degree after high school), so this truck will mostly be used for hauling my gear around, firewood delivery, and hauling a trailer. (most likely just a small flat bed type to help haul brush on side jobs, and hopefully, down the road a bit, an enclosed trailer for gear storage and hauling)

Any truck I get must be a 4x4 and I would prefer a quad or crew cab.

Here's what I'm considering:

Dodge 1500
Chevy 1500
GMC 1500

I'm not a big Ford fan by any means, but on the above brand I'm not biased to any one truck.

Also considering stepping it up a notch to a 2500 size truck, but in the diesel category. More power for hauling stuff, better sounding(too me at least) plus I could use Bio-Diesel if I wanted. So, for these choices it would be

Dodge 2500
Chevy 2500
GMC 2500

Thanks for any help you guys can offer!!!

maintenanceman
04-12-2009, 08:33 PM
I don't know where you are, but if you plan to plow snow in the winter I would recommend a 2500 regular cab. I've had Ford's and Chevy's and the Chevy's. Both are good but I always thought the Chevy's were easier to work on. I don't have any experience with Dodge. Good luck to you.

MJS
04-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Avoid the Dodges - my dad had a Ram 2500 for years, and it had nothing but problems. I have had great experiences with Chevy, and they are easier (I think) to work on. If you're getting a 1500, I would definitely go with a V8 instead of a V6.

South Florida Lawns
04-13-2009, 01:10 AM
Are you looking at new or used?

This site is bad with brands. Ford GM Dodge all have problems of some sort. I'd say get a new 1500 now keep it cheap and have a warranty. Then when your done with college and you can put 100% of your time into the business get a diesel.

Need4racin
04-13-2009, 08:08 PM
If they are fuel injected they are all good trucks. Get the biggest engine and one with the tow package (big trans cooler, bigger radiator, trailer plug, etc) and you can't go wrong.

rangerdanger
04-14-2009, 05:28 PM
Thanks everyone!! I plan on going used, for around $10,000 to $14,000.

As for brand, I'm going with Chevy or GMC 1500. We've owned Chevy trucks and SUVS for over 15 years, and they've all been dependable. Our 98 Tahoe even went for 250,000 miles before water started getting into the oil and other problems appeared.