PDA

View Full Version : Underbody Truck Boxes

yourmove
04-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Underbody truck boxes . . . I'm looking to get a couple of boxes for my dump truck. Which kind do you like?

I've been looking around but not really sure which I would like best.

Thanks for your help.

Gravel Rat
04-12-2009, 11:56 PM
Here you go

www.buyersproducts.com/Toolboxes-Mounting-Brackets/Steel-Underbody-Toolboxes/Black-Rotary-Paddle-Latch/

yourmove
04-13-2009, 05:02 AM
Yeah, I've been looking hard at the Buyers product. . . . Do you have these?

I kind of like the black, powder coated steel with stainless doors.

bobcatexc
04-13-2009, 05:18 PM
Weatherguard - Aluminum diamond plate

Yes they are expensive! But you get what you pay for. I don't know how many hinges and paint jobs I've done on cheap tool boxes over the years. But of all the weatherguard toolboxes and underbody boxes I've bought they are all still in operation and have been swapped truck to truck when the truck is wore out. Plus the aluminum always looks good and you never have to paint.

yourmove
04-13-2009, 06:36 PM
yeah, I've been wondering about materials such as steel between the wheels. I can see how materials would be important in this location.

Thanks.

bobcatexc
04-13-2009, 06:47 PM
Yes dirt and grit will eat away hinges real fast, on my dump trucks I put a mud flap in front of the wheels to help from throwing mud and crap all over the box and underframe area.

Junior M
04-13-2009, 06:50 PM
Weatherguard - Aluminum diamond plate

I agree! Thats all Dad ran on his trucks and I am in the process of looking for the right box for my trailer..

muddstopper
04-14-2009, 07:24 PM
The buyers box has a bigger opening at the door than most other boxes. I find this useful when placeing 5gal buckets of oil or my trashpump inside the box. They wont fit without a lot of wiggleing in other tool boxes. I havent tried the Weatherbox. Also look for at least a 36in box if it will fit. This will allow you to carry a chainsaw inside. I bought the center section of one of those roll around mechanic tool boxes and placed inside one of my boxes to keep small handtools in a reasonable order.

yourmove
04-14-2009, 07:32 PM
Do you have a dump body?
Do you have the box mounted on the frame?
I want to have the 36" boxes mounted to the frame but I think that some special fabrication may be necessary. The leaf spring mounts will interfere with using the standard angle hangers mounted to the frame.

Does anyone have pics of their install?

wellbuilt
04-14-2009, 08:36 PM
I have 2 48" buyers under mount boxes on my truck . They look OK but the latch sucks and the seals leak . My tools get rusty . On the top i have 96" x14x18 weather grade aluminum diamond plate boxes . The WG boxes cost big bucks but i have had them for 10 years and they still lock and don't leak .
I used 4" u Chanel to mount my boxes.
On the front the U channel runs across the truck from side to side and the box is bolted to the U . On the rear the U Chanel is welded to the dump frame and there is a angle bracket that is welded to the U channel and bolted on to the spring bracket .
The boxes have 4 bolts in each side and i have a steel bracket inside that holds up a angle bracket on the bottom . Ive looked at a bunch of dealer made trucks and they weld to the frame most of the time .

yourmove
04-15-2009, 05:34 AM
I'm thinking the WG 36x18x18 and having them mounted in front of the spring brackets & e-brake cable. . . . I'm sure I'll have to be a bit creative.

Anyone with pics or more input will help . . . Thanks

stroker51
04-15-2009, 11:23 PM
I really need to figure out some pic posting stuff, but when I bought my 96 F350 dump it already Dee Zee aluminum underbody boxes on it, not sure how big, but probably 30" +. I've been really happy with these boxes so far, they seal up really good and the hinges/latches seem great. My only complaint is that the chains that hold the lids level when they are open broke on the passenger's side box a while back, I just need to re-attach them they tore out of the aluminum in the door. I've had really good luck with the weather guard boxes on my pickups, and my Grandpa always had Rawson Koenig boxes on his trucks when he built pools. I'd definately go with aluminum boxes though, especially in that application.

yourmove
04-16-2009, 05:46 AM
Yeah, I'm going with diamond plate, aluminum.