PDA

View Full Version : Level Land for Play Structure

reshnutz
04-13-2009, 01:19 PM
I have a 12X18 sq ft piece of land to bid on that needs to be leveled for a play structure that will be put in. I need a little help with this. Would you use top soil to fill in the holes that are in the lawn to level all this out or would you use a topsoil/sand mix to make sure the ground is firm and stable for the play structure? Or would you use something different all together? After fill in all the holes and going over the small piece of land I would be rolling it out to level it as well. Any help on this would be great.

Thanks!

White Gardens
04-13-2009, 01:54 PM
I would think that you could do just what you stated. Bring a little in and grade off what you have.

What is the grade of the area, or is it fairly level to begin with???

If you are using any sort of heavy equipment such as a dingo up to a skid steer, then you shouldn't have to worry about compacting it.

Post some pics if you can.

reshnutz
04-13-2009, 02:39 PM
Ill post the pics later tonight, but the land is fairly level already, there are just bumps and really three major holes in the ground right now, about a foot deep with about a 2-3' diameter. I wasn't going to be using a skid since it is fairly level and there's not much soil to move as well as its hard to get down to the area I need to with that. I will just be going over it with a roller to level it out.

Thanks for the reply.

reshnutz
04-13-2009, 10:48 PM
bump and a little help. Should I be using just regular top soil or a mix of sand/top soil or just plain ole filler dirt to level this land out?

White Gardens
04-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Your over-thinking the project. KISS method should be applied on this one.

That small of holes you could fill in with dirt and compact down with your feet and you'll be OK. Use dirt if the area is going to be grass.

Is the area going to be grass, or filled with play-ground mulch ???

Ultimately, all your hard work is going to be destroyed by playing kids anyway, so just do it simple, but right, and be done with it.

betmr
04-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Is this in someones back yard, or is this public. There are numerous safety concerns when constructing play areas. Fall protection is an important factor, You could become Liable for any injuries that may occur there. I have installed 3 play areas that have consisted of 4" crushed stone for drainage & 6" of rubber mulch for fall protection. If I were you I would check the Equipment Manufacturer's Recommendations for the play area's surface. I would'nt leave myself open to a future lawsuit. One broken bone, and it's open season on anybody involved.

White Gardens
04-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Is this in someones back yard, or is this public. There are numerous safety concerns when constructing play areas. Fall protection is an important factor, You could become Liable for any injuries that may occur there. I have installed 3 play areas that have consisted of 4" crushed stone for drainage & 6" of rubber mulch for fall protection. If I were you I would check the Equipment Manufacturer's Recommendations for the play area's surface. I would'nt leave myself open to a future lawsuit. One broken bone, and it's open season on anybody involved.

Vary true, I'm hoping he's talking about a HO's backyard and not a public area.

betmr
04-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Vary true, I'm hoping he's talking about a HO's backyard and not a public area.

White, the point I'm trying to make here is, even if it is a home owner site, if it is not done to spec.s He could be Liable. There are now certain distances, clearances and depth fall protective surface, that are required in installing playground equipment. The equipment manufacturer can probably supply these. This is not like you or me going out and putting up a swing set for our kids, he's doing this for hire. Big difference here.

White Gardens
04-14-2009, 02:49 PM
White, the point I'm trying to make here is, even if it is a home owner site, if it is not done to spec.s He could be Liable. There are now certain distances, clearances and depth fall protective surface, that are required in installing playground equipment. The equipment manufacturer can probably supply these. This is not like you or me going out and putting up a swing set for our kids, he's doing this for hire. Big difference here.

I totally agree.

Reshnutz seems like he's not exactly sure of what he's doing, do you think he's opening a can of worms? You never can tell if a homeowner would ever care, or if they'll sue anybody they can.

reshnutz
04-14-2009, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. This is for a HO and I am not actually installing the structure, but just leveling the land so that they can install everything. He just wants a 12X18 level surface, thats it. I'll stick to the KISS method, simple and easy.

betmr
04-14-2009, 03:35 PM
If they are doing their own install you should be ok with site leveling, any play surface will then be their responsibility.