PDA

View Full Version : Is my client being screwed???

clcare2
04-14-2009, 12:44 PM
I know this is a played out question from some of my searching but I need to know if there are any benefits at all from putting pavers over concrete.

I have a new maintenance customer that has a large patio being installed this year. The installer is a large company in town that does a lot of these. I am not trying to get the contract I just don't want the customer to get screwed.

This company has said that they are going to pour concrete as a base and then mortar the 2 outside border rows. It does not sound like they are going to mortar set the pavers. It sounds like they are going to use a sand leveling base between the concrete and the pavers.

This is being sold as better and longer lasting.

soopa
04-14-2009, 12:55 PM
...... yes.

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
04-14-2009, 03:09 PM
If you are going to put down flagstaone or put in brick pavers with morter It sould be laid on concrete .
But the sand stuff in the middle I don't know aboult that.

BrandonV
04-14-2009, 04:41 PM
well he's loosing the whole advantage to pavers (flexibility) and is paying to concrete that he doesn't need.

Mid-Ohio Scaper
04-14-2009, 06:10 PM
Your client has been fed a load of sh*t!
If done right you don't need concrete in the base and personally I think mortaring pavers is a load of sh*t also. Like the other guy said, the whole point of pavers is the fact that it's flexible. You start adding mortar to hold the pavers together and that mortar WILL fail. If they used good edging why in the sam hell would you need mortar???
Some of the sh*t some companies tell people is unbelievable. :dizzy:

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
04-14-2009, 06:50 PM
A lot of companies do the concrete base for pavers. It's almost as frequent as the way we do it (sand set with rock base) which is the proper way. They believe in thier way as much as we believe in our way. It's just something that you have to deal with it's like the sand versus screenings debate.

I wouldn't say your customer is getting screwed, it's just the practice of that company.

Meezer
04-14-2009, 07:02 PM
A lot of companies do the concrete base for pavers.

Why?????

If your are going to the trouble of pouring concrete, why don't they use brick stamps such as these:

http://www.matcrete.com/Brick.asp

and call it a day????

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
04-15-2009, 12:04 AM
Why?????

If your are going to the trouble of pouring concrete, why don't they use brick stamps such as these:

http://www.matcrete.com/Brick.asp

and call it a day????

I can't figure it out either it's just what they do.

Bru75
04-15-2009, 08:54 AM
They can do it this way, the question is why? I would only do this on a existing slab that is in good condition.
Maybe the company is doing it just to make it into a bigger job than it has to be? Maybe they honestly think this is a better way to go? Who knows.
As for your client, they are only being screwed if the company is overcharging. You might advise them to get a price for an install on a compacted gravel footing just for comparison.
Also make sure they ask if there will be drainage for the sand that the field pavers will set on. This is a very important step, if there is no drainage, the sand will hold water and freeze.

ParkviewNursery
04-15-2009, 12:04 PM
Okay i might get heat from some but, my work stands for itself.

I agree with the whole concrete under the paver idea with certain customers, or houses that appearance is everything. We did many years ago lay limestone base, with gravel sand yada yada yada, well yes it did look great, however there are some drive lines, nothing bad but to a landscaper you can see.

Now look at my other customers with the concrete, i will never go back. We glue the soldier row, and filled in with polymeric or silica sand. I highly doubt they are leveling with sand between the soldier courses.

Time and money wise yeah it may be a little more, however when your putting up big money houses you want the guarantee.......