PDA

View Full Version : Help with 1st time diesel

djlawncare
04-14-2009, 09:31 PM
I traded my F250 for a 2001 Dodge 2500 with the 5.9turbo cummins with a 100k miles and this is my first so any advice on care and maintenace and what to be alert for problems thank you

Junior M
04-14-2009, 09:33 PM
that year is common for dropping auto trannies..

Lakewlc
04-14-2009, 09:55 PM
that year is common for dropping auto trannies..

yepp, we have one with 200,000 miles on her, but 5 tranies.. besides that they are great trucks

Junior M
04-14-2009, 09:57 PM
yepp, we have one with 200,000 miles on her, but 5 tranies.. besides that they are great trucks
DAM! everybody I know thats got a quote on getting one was anywhere from $3,000 to $5,000 maybe even more and that was just a guess before even pulling the truck in the shop..

mikec_j
04-14-2009, 10:33 PM
I have a 94 3500 5.9 turbo dump body with 165000 on it I plow with it every winter and the guy I bought it from overloaded it every chance he got... it has been through 3 trannies that I know of that being said diesels swim in oil change it every 3k, dont forget the preheating (wait to start light ),diesel fuel is dirty so change your fuel filter 2 times a year, since diesel fuel has parafin in it when it gets cold ( in to the 30's) make sure you use a fuel treatment or it will "freeze" not really but the parafin solidifies (think bacon grease a couple hours after breakfast) find a good mechanic they do get expensive to work on when turbos go bad or injectors go bad. They are made for pulling but not real quick of the line. Just some thoughts......

Gravel Rat
04-14-2009, 11:22 PM
The first thing is trade the Dodge in on a Ford :laugh:

The best thing to do is change all the fluids and filters even if the dealer or who ever said they have been changed.

WalkerMike98
04-14-2009, 11:34 PM
Fuel pressure guage. Go to the cumminsforum and register. You can find anything you want or dont want to know.

pclawncare
04-14-2009, 11:40 PM
Flush your tranny regularly. I got a 5.9 with 230,000 mi working on its third tranny it was put in at 140000 and i bought it shortly after that i have changed the fluid every year just like i do my other trucks that i pull alot with although this one only sees a trailer once or twice a week. This tranny has stayed good so far and still shifts firm.

TXNSLighting
04-15-2009, 12:19 AM
I have a 94 3500 5.9 turbo dump body with 165000 on it I plow with it every winter and the guy I bought it from overloaded it every chance he got... it has been through 3 trannies that I know of that being said diesels swim in oil change it every 3k, dont forget the preheating (wait to start light ),diesel fuel is dirty so change your fuel filter 2 times a year, since diesel fuel has parafin in it when it gets cold ( in to the 30's) make sure you use a fuel treatment or it will "freeze" not really but the parafin solidifies (think bacon grease a couple hours after breakfast) find a good mechanic they do get expensive to work on when turbos go bad or injectors go bad. They are made for pulling but not real quick of the line. Just some thoughts......

You do not need to change the oil every 3k, that is a big waste of money. Every 6-7k is fine. Diesel wont Gel up til low low temperatures in like single digits, so youre also wrong there.

Diesels are super easy to maintain, and actually not real expensive to maintain either, unlike some will say. Wait to start light isnt a big deal. On normal summer spring or fall days, you only need to wait in the morning, the rest of the day just flip it over.

The Cummins is a great engine. (Im glad you spelled it right) It will last you a long time if you take care of it, and when youre ready for a speedster, by golly Its not hard with those years!

Dirt Digger2
04-15-2009, 01:20 AM
yea dont ask Cummins questions on here...you get a lot or people who think they know what they are talking about...but dont

check out cumminsforums.com for quality truck related advice

djlawncare
04-15-2009, 06:52 AM
thanks everbody for the input I just bought it 2days ago and will flush the tranny Today

WH401
04-15-2009, 08:09 AM
As someone mentioned above, change all the fluids now so that you have a fresh start.

Get a fuel pressure gauge because the Carter lift pump that feeds the VP44 fuel pump likes to die and then it will kill the VP44 as well. That's has a $3k replacement price right there so spend the $150 or so on a nice gauge and take care of your investment. If the lift pump is getting ready to die soon then go ahead and replace it with an aftermarket pump such as an Airdog. They'll flow much more fuel than the stock pump and will do it reliable. Most also separate the air from the fuel and come with a fuel filter setup that has a better micron filtration rating than the stock piece. Plus, Airdog's come with a life time warranty I believe.

The transmission life all depends on how it has been run in the past and how you use it/take care of it now. I have a 92' with 170k that still has the same original auto tranny and those models don't even have locking TC's. They generate a lot of heat because of that and it's still going strong. If the trans is going out then your better off spending the 3 - 5k on an aftermarket built trans with a more efficient TC and valve body combination. A set up like that wouldn't be much more then a stock rebuild and it'll be worth every penny.

It's a waste to change the oil every 3k, change it every 5k and you'll be fine. Heck, get an Amsoil bypass filter and run the oil for god knows how many miles without changing it.

Go register on dieseltruckresource.com or cumminsforum.com. There are lots of knowledgeable people on there and you'll be able to find out everything you need to know about your truck.

razor1
04-15-2009, 08:35 AM
<The first thing is trade the Dodge in on a Ford>

I've been thinking about a newer diesel myself and the more I read about Ford (6.0 & 6.4) the less interested I become. Dodge sounds like they have their share of headaches too. Could the GM Duramax/Isuzu w/Allison tranny be the best setup in a pick-up truck? Any input on the Duramax?

Junior M
04-15-2009, 09:18 AM

I've been thinking about a newer diesel myself and the more I read about Ford (6.0 & 6.4) the less interested I become. Dodge sounds like they have their share of headaches too. Could the GM Duramax/Isuzu w/Allison tranny be the best setup in a pick-up truck? Any input on the Duramax?
thats the only new emissions diesel I havent heard complaints from..

WH401
04-15-2009, 12:19 PM

The newer 6.7 Cummins engine has been slightly finicky with it's emission equipment and most of the problems are run into by people who just putt around in them and build up the soot. If you buy one and it gets worked daily then you shouldn't have a problem, working them helps clean them out. You also have to remember that the 6.7 is the only engine on the market in a 2500/3500 truck that is already 2010 emissions compliant. Ford and Chevy both have to put out an upgraded engine for next year and they may end up running into the same problems as well.

Now the old 5.9, that's a hell of an engine and you can't beat it for an all around great engine. It has gobs of torque from the inline 6 design, most of them get killer fuel mileage, and there highly reliable. Think of both the 5.9 and 6.7 as a medium duty engine stuffed into a light duty pickup. They're complete overkill and I wouldn't have it any other way.

As far as the Duramax/Allison, if I had to own any other truck then that would be the first one I would go look at. I have heard good things about them and wouldn't turn down an opportunity to test drive one. But I'm happy with both my Cummins trucks and I have no reason to go look somewhere else at the moment.

A 6.0 Powerstroke though, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole nor if it was the last truck on earth. The 7.3 was a great motor and I currently have one in an Excursion and I thank god everyday it's not a 6.0

Gravel Rat
04-15-2009, 02:03 PM
It doesn't matter what you buy no vehical is reliable. As I said if you own a Dodge in my area and it breaks down plan on not having a vehical for a week or two weeks because Dodge dealers don't stock any parts. Any Dodge part used on the Cummins engine can take a week to arrive then sometimes the dealer says we can't get that its no made anymore.

As for the Cummins being overkill in a P/U truck what a laugh its NOT a medium duty engine Cummins can say it all they want but its a light duty throwaway engine always has been and always will be. If the 5.9 had replaceable liners and a cylinder block designed for rebuilding then it would be a medium duty engine. Cummins produced the 5.9 as a cheap engine option for equipment manufactures. The only reason why you see 5.9 engines used in medium duty trucks is they are cheaper to buy than a 8.3 Cummins or the 7.2 Cat.

The C series is a medium duty engine you don't want a 5.9 Mechanical or 24 valve in a truck with a gvw greater than 19,000lbs. Beyond that the engine is way out of its legue. You have a very gutless truck it is one step above a gas pot in a medium duty.

The 5.9 was good for its intended uses which was light duty use and used for industrial purposes. If it wasn't for Dodge buying so many 5.9s I think Cummins would have discontinued making the 5.9.

As for maintaining the engines do the regular oil changes I would probably change out the coolant. Do the fuel filters etc. If the engine oil hasn't been changed in a long time I would send out a oil sample it will tell you if your engine is okay or something is failing inside.

Buy some Fleetgaurd filters and keep the oil and fuel filters changed on a regular basis.

As for the rest of the truck good luck its a Dodge :laugh:

WH401
04-15-2009, 04:25 PM
It doesn't matter what you buy no vehical is reliable. As I said if you own a Dodge in my area and it breaks down plan on not having a vehical for a week or two weeks because Dodge dealers don't stock any parts. Any Dodge part used on the Cummins engine can take a week to arrive then sometimes the dealer says we can't get that its no made anymore.

As for the Cummins being overkill in a P/U truck what a laugh its NOT a medium duty engine Cummins can say it all they want but its a light duty throwaway engine always has been and always will be. If the 5.9 had replaceable liners and a cylinder block designed for rebuilding then it would be a medium duty engine. Cummins produced the 5.9 as a cheap engine option for equipment manufactures. The only reason why you see 5.9 engines used in medium duty trucks is they are cheaper to buy than a 8.3 Cummins or the 7.2 Cat.

The C series is a medium duty engine you don't want a 5.9 Mechanical or 24 valve in a truck with a gvw greater than 19,000lbs. Beyond that the engine is way out of its legue. You have a very gutless truck it is one step above a gas pot in a medium duty.

The 5.9 was good for its intended uses which was light duty use and used for industrial purposes. If it wasn't for Dodge buying so many 5.9s I think Cummins would have discontinued making the 5.9.

As for maintaining the engines do the regular oil changes I would probably change out the coolant. Do the fuel filters etc. If the engine oil hasn't been changed in a long time I would send out a oil sample it will tell you if your engine is okay or something is failing inside.

Buy some Fleetgaurd filters and keep the oil and fuel filters changed on a regular basis.

As for the rest of the truck good luck its a Dodge :laugh:

What a surprise, the usual "blah blah blah Dodge is crap, Ford is king" speech. Take it with a grain of salt OP, he always does this.:rolleyes:

Junior M
04-15-2009, 07:31 PM
What a surprise, the usual "blah blah blah Dodge is crap, Ford is king" speech. Take it with a grain of salt OP, he always does this.:rolleyes:
thank god I am not the only one that notices it..

goatboy67
04-15-2009, 07:52 PM
He has 5340 posts...I bet 5000 of them are how the world is falling apart, dodge sucks, or how juice brakes will kill you on the roads in BC. Its old...

TXNSLighting
04-15-2009, 10:05 PM
yea dont ask Cummins questions on here...you get a lot or people who think they know what they are talking about...but dont

check out cumminsforums.com for quality truck related advice

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

TXNSLighting
04-15-2009, 10:11 PM
youre not the only one Junior. He is very misguided.

Gravel Rat
04-16-2009, 02:52 AM
I'am smart enough not to buy a Dodge :laugh:

I can't help being bias to Ford when 90% of the trucks on the road in my area are Ford. Dodge trucks have always been a joke in the quality dept and always will be. If you have serious work to do you don't buy a Dodge.

Like I said the B.C. gov't tried Dodge they can't take any offroading or heavy work. Mines and other resource based companies tried Dodge trucks they fell apart.

Ohwell I really don't care but I do laugh how brainwashed some people are thinking the 5.9/6.7 Cummins are medium duty engine. That is almost as much true as Ford owning Cummins.

I think you better hang around repair shops that have to repair trucks anytime they have to work on a Dodge there is lots of cursing. Most mechanics comments are POS. As I said trying to get parts from a Dodge dealer is next to impossible.

Maybe in the USA Dodge dealers are different here if you own a Cummins powered truck your SOL. Dealers won't work on them or not equiped to work on them most of the time not interested to work on them. Any of the Dodge parts used on the Cummins that come only from the dealer is very tough to get.

Junior M
04-16-2009, 07:09 AM
I can't help being bias to Ford when 90% of the trucks on the road in my area are Ford. Dodge trucks have always been a joke in the quality dept and always will be. If you have serious work to do you don't buy a Dodge.

I am calling BS on all that, Dodges interior is no cheaper than Fords, along with many other things..

And that last part, its all about your area, just because we americans dont follow what everyone else with what we are buying doesnt mean we're stupid..

Get over it, Ford isnt the only truck out there!

Gravel Rat
04-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Like I said I really don't care you Dodge lovers can keep your Dodge. Like I have said when you have resource industry towns Ford and GM are number one trucks. Dodge has always been a unreliable cheap quality truck. When you have to take your truck offroad everyday you need a reliable truck.

As I said I looked at couple Dodge that belong to a forestry contractor I think they were 07-08s the interior was worn out. The cheap cloth seat had foam sticking out of it. The steering wheel was falling apart you could see fatigue marks in the plastic from the trucks being used off road.

When Ford trucks have been used in bush service for over 30 years like I said before some Ford trucks were bought brandnew and went straight to the bush in remote camps were there is no paved roads. Spend all their life with the tranfercase engaged in low gear.

As for Junior you better get some miles under your belt before you can comment on vehicals.

Junior M
04-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Like I said I really don't care you Dodge lovers can keep your Dodge. Like I have said when you have resource industry towns Ford and GM are number one trucks. Dodge has always been a unreliable cheap quality truck. When you have to take your truck offroad everyday you need a reliable truck.

As I said I looked at couple Dodge that belong to a forestry contractor I think they were 07-08s the interior was worn out. The cheap cloth seat had foam sticking out of it. The steering wheel was falling apart you could see fatigue marks in the plastic from the trucks being used off road.

When Ford trucks have been used in bush service for over 30 years like I said before some Ford trucks were bought brandnew and went straight to the bush in remote camps were there is no paved roads. Spend all their life with the tranfercase engaged in low gear.

As for Junior you better get some miles under your belt before you can comment on vehicals.
GR my family has run Dodges since 97, you know how many issues my family has had? More out of the 2001 and up models and thats only been 2, the tranny went out of my brothers 2001 3500 4x4 and he had a balljoint problem out of his 2006, thats it!

And GR, I grew up in an industry area, its called farming. My 3rd cousin is over a Dodge Dealership in a farming community in WV and they outsell the local Ford dealer 2:1, its all an area thing..

VirginiaLawnCare
04-16-2009, 07:13 PM
Now trade it back for your ford. lol

WH401
04-16-2009, 07:26 PM
They don't call um' "Fix Or Repair Daily"'s for nothing.:laugh:

doubleedge
04-16-2009, 08:43 PM
GR my family has run Dodges since 97, you know how many issues my family has had? More out of the 2001 and up models and thats only been 2, the tranny went out of my brothers 2001 3500 4x4 and he had a balljoint problem out of his 2006, thats it!

And GR, I grew up in an industry area, its called farming. My 3rd cousin is over a Dodge Dealership in a farming community in WV and they outsell the local Ford dealer 2:1, its all an area thing..

You said a tranny went out... That is no little thing unless it has a bunch of miles.

Junior M
04-16-2009, 09:01 PM
You said a tranny went out... That is no little thing unless it has a bunch of miles.
Dont quote me on this I believe it was around 115,000? I am not quite sure, it was definetly a work truck, my brother bought it used from a guy who brought it from Texas and my brother used it alot on the farm. So it definetly seen some abuse..

unkownfl
04-16-2009, 10:48 PM

Not to be a dick but the ford dealer in Florida sell 10 to 1 dodge. This thread isn't which is better though. I would send all the filters off to be analyzed and then go from there most university's will do this just like soil samples.

TXNSLighting
04-16-2009, 11:53 PM

I am calling BS on all that, Dodges interior is no cheaper than Fords, along with many other things..

And that last part, its all about your area, just because we americans dont follow what everyone else with what we are buying doesnt mean we're stupid..

Get over it, Ford isnt the only truck out there!

Gotta disagree, dodge interiors are much cheaper then Fords...

TXNSLighting
04-16-2009, 11:54 PM
I'am smart enough not to buy a Dodge :laugh:

Like I said the B.C. gov't tried Dodge they can't take any offroading or heavy work. Mines and other resource based companies tried Dodge trucks they fell apart.

Ohwell I really don't care but I do laugh how brainwashed some people are thinking the 5.9/6.7 Cummins are medium duty engine. That is almost as much true as Ford owning Cummins.

I think you better hang around repair shops that have to repair trucks anytime they have to work on a Dodge there is lots of cursing. Most mechanics comments are POS. As I said trying to get parts from a Dodge dealer is next to impossible.

Maybe in the USA Dodge dealers are different here if you own a Cummins powered truck your SOL. Dealers won't work on them or not equiped to work on them most of the time not interested to work on them. Any of the Dodge parts used on the Cummins that come only from the dealer is very tough to get.

I just really wish you would learn words. Once again, its I am or I'm...geez..

Dirt Digger2
04-17-2009, 12:59 AM
Dodge trannys blow because they are putting out too much torque for an under designed tranny...if you get an Edge Juice it has a de-fuel option which de-fuels that engine when the computer senses tranny slip

like i said before...and i am sure you have noticed in the previous ramblings...don't ask truck related questions here...you own the truck so go to a website with fellow owners who actually know 2 sh*ts about what they are talking

oh, and GR...the 6.0's are arguably the worst small truck diesel engine ever created...and thats a fact...ask all the "contractors in the area"

Gravel Rat
04-17-2009, 02:33 AM
The 6.0 problems are people that don't do the maintenance on their truck and bad dealer mechanics.

I like my 6.0 I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Junior M
04-17-2009, 06:57 AM
Not to be a dick but the ford dealer in Florida sell 10 to 1 dodge. This thread isn't which is better though. I would send all the filters off to be analyzed and then go from there most university's will do this just like soil samples.
Its all an area thing, thats what I said! Read the last 5 words of my post and it answers what you just said..

Junior M
04-17-2009, 06:58 AM
Gotta disagree, dodge interiors are much cheaper then Fords...
Ryan, we've talked about things like this before, I am just going to agree to disagree..

But depending on what options you get in the Ford, Fords is a whole lot better...

unkownfl
04-17-2009, 11:00 AM
The 6.0 problems are people that don't do the maintenance on their truck and bad dealer mechanics.

I like my 6.0 I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

I have never had a issue with my 6.0 beside a oil leak they fixed. cost me 100 bucks. Also I have 100k on it and have always done the maintenance on it myself. I would have to concur with grave rat I wouldnt trade it for anything, but another ford diesel. Maybe it will be time when ford puts there own diesel in it again next.

Gravel Rat
04-17-2009, 12:41 PM
The 6.0 will probably be my last diesel Ford thou the newer diesels are not worth it you will NEVER recover the costs. Once your out of warranty watch out.