PDA

View Full Version : Laying Pavers Over Existing Concrete Patio

Nullqwerty
04-15-2009, 01:27 PM
I hear mixed things about laying Pavers over an existing concrete. Many will tell you don't do it. Others will tell you it's fine. Others will say it's fine only if there's no settling in the existing concrete. I've never actually heard of a bad experience though.

The cost for the homeowner can easily be just 20-30% compared to tearing out existing concrete and starting from scratch, so it's something to consider if in fact it is ok to do.

What's the final word on this? Fine to do or not? This is in Massachusetts by the way.

Also, if it is done, is it recommended to first put down a layer of sand, and the pavers over that and compact it? Or is it better to glue them down? Techo-Bloc has a line called the Venetian series specifically made to be able to be glued down over existing concrete. Has anyone worked with it? If so, do they recommend it?

Thanks!

TerraJeeps
04-15-2009, 06:12 PM
The best way is to put geotex around the perimeter and any expanding joints or cracks to prevent the sand from finding its way out. Might want to just put it down on the whole thing in case of future cracks. Then put sand down and build like you would on a compacted base. If you have drainage issues make sure your drill weep holes and fill with pea gravel so the moisture can get out of the sand, same goes for if you block of the lower side with a solid edge where water can't escape. I think thats it.

DVS Hardscaper
04-15-2009, 08:19 PM
TerraJeeps - with that user name you need to be posting pictures of what you have here: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=10179

And let it be known, my Jeep is the baddest one shown yet!!

And oh yes, we do lay pavers over existing concrete, and yes, we do apply a layer of geo-textile fabric over the concrete.