PDA

View Full Version : How much $$ you get per sq ft?

POPO4995
04-15-2009, 09:09 PM
Just wondering what everyone seems to be able to get this year as far as price per square ft for labor and product for retaining walls and patios. Seems I keep getting under cut this year and last year it seemed fine. Wondering if I should drop a few bucks a square foot or not. Let me know what you all think!:usflag:

Hardscaping
04-15-2009, 09:28 PM
price per job not sq ft you will be better off.

qualitycut
04-16-2009, 12:46 AM
Ya I am in the same spot, last year I was closing about 50 percent of jobs this year I have bid 13 jobs and got 1.

ALLPro Landscaping
04-16-2009, 01:17 AM
Their is no way to bid these jobs any more, up here in ny we used to bid by the sqft, now a days, their are guys that I don't even know how on earth they came up with their price. I see guys doing pavers for 6.50 to 10.00 per square, how is that possible when it cost you as the contractor about 4.50 per square for just material. I guess these guys owe a lot to the banks for the skid steer and excavator they came in with and boy do I feel bad for the guys working for them

Meezer
04-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Just wondering what everyone seems to be able to get this year as far as price per square ft for labor and product for retaining walls and patios.

I don't quote per square foot but by the job.

Bru75
04-16-2009, 11:22 PM
My bid to hit ratio is down too, but I'm not about to cut prices. My prices are based on what I need to cover expenses and make a proffit, so what is there to cut?
As others have said, price by the job, not square foot.
The undercutters will always be around, just accept it as part of doing business.

DVS Hardscaper
04-17-2009, 07:21 AM
yes, we have had to lower our prices. we do NOT unit price. all prices are based on estimated production hrs and materials, not square footage.

This year for us, it's about keeping the bills paid.......not making a profit.

PatriotLandscape
04-19-2009, 09:42 PM
we adjusted our profit margins to get more work but be careful you might not cover your overhead if you lower your prices

Mid-Ohio Scaper
04-20-2009, 01:08 AM
Haven't changed the way I price, and getting more jobs than last year.
With good work comes good referrals, and that's when people pay a little more for a job very well done.
I did try a bit of advertising this year and plan on doing a bit more. People calling from those ads are a bit harder to convince that you're the guy who's offering a better product, but once they do their homework and talk with my other clients and see past projects they usually come around. Unless they're just shopping based lowest prices, in that case they deserve what they get.

riverwalklandscaping
04-23-2009, 08:46 PM
You don't bid by the square foot but that doesn't mean you can't look at past jobs, the ending cost and divide by how many sq feet there were. Then over time take all the jobs and find an average price.