PDA

View Full Version : Exmark 27 L/C Kaw or Landpride/Hustler 23 Kawi

roscioli
03-25-2002, 01:23 PM
Okay guys, I know, I know. Read the old threads on the subject, but they don't exist, so here goes.
Two great mowers, a huge difference in price, but both seem like great prices individually for the mower. Problem is, I just don't have enough for the Exmark, and would have to borrow almost $2000. Should I suck it up and borrow for more mower, or would I be fine with the smaller engine? Heres the whole situation:
I am going from part time (with a 36 metro) to full time (with some sort of Z) this year. Most of the lawns are big enough, and I will be buying a 60". One dealer has got a Landpride (built buy Hustler) 60" with a 23 Kawi for $6500. Its leftover from last year, but still in the crate (0.0 Hours.) The other dealer has a leftover 27 Liquid Cooled Kawi Exmark 60", and will throw on the deck lift assist for $8300. Its got 0.8 hours on it. Thats an $1800 difference. I know the Exmark is much more of a mower, and will last longer being L/C, but will it last long enough to justify the price difference? Will I be that much more productive? I am trying to consider all pros/cons of each, please post if you think of some that I didn't. The Hustler does not have deck lift assist, and the bagger will be $200 more when I do buy it (not until fall). I am sure a decklift is available for the Landpride/Hustler, but will be more added on to the price. Both dealers seem about equal for service/parts, and the Landpride dealer is about 20 minutes closer. What else am I missing here guys? And please vote on which one you would buy for the money, remembering that I will have to borrow $2000 to buy the eXmark, and that its only my 3rd year in business. Thanks a million guys and girls!

mowerconsultant
03-25-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by roscioli
The Hustler does not have deck lift assist

The Hustler does not offer this as an OPTION, it is STANDARD, designed with it and on every Z we make, unlike the Exmark where it is a hand lift with a ADD ON foot assist.
The Hustler deck lift adjusts in 1/4 inch increments and is foot operated with very little effort needed to lift the deck.
Also, the catcher you are looking at is a much heavier built unit also, and has been used on Hustler products for almost 8 years.
The catcher was on a previous model we built (2500) since around 93 or 94.

Later
Pj

TLS
03-25-2002, 02:09 PM
Roscioli,

This must be a 2001 LC Lazer, as 2002's all come standard with the foot deck lift!

I paid $8495 for this exact mower in Oct of 2000.

The deck lift option (1003--149) is a $40 part! Dont let this guy fiddle with numbers on a $40 part!

This is an old machine already, and should have been sold. My dealer could never get enough of them, and even asked if I could bring mine back for their Fall demo days, so he'd have a LC there for people to look at!

This is odd that he still has one just sitting there for 18 months!?!

Talk him down a good bit on it! Ask him why its still here! You should be able to talk him down under $8k, then have him throw in some blades, belts, filters, etc. Make him think you are doing a favor by buying it from him! The 2002's are out, and in another 5 months the 2003's will be out!

I feel, after looking over a Landpride at a show this winter, that the LC Lazer is the better machine. Not that the Landpride/Hustler is a bad machine or anything (probably would be my second choice) but the engine alone sells me!

Good Luck, and let us know how you make out!

roscioli
03-25-2002, 03:26 PM
Hey PJ- Sorry about the mistake on the deck lift. I didn't see it when I was out there, must have just overlooked it. About the bagger, I wasn't trying to put down Hustler by saying it was more expensive, I was just trying to give all the details to compare costs.
TLS- Yes, it is a leftover 2001 Unit. Its interesting that you paid 8500 for it last year, I will definately try to talk him down some more then. If he doesn't want to budge, I will probably skip it and go with the landpride, thanks for the input!

dlandscaping
03-25-2002, 11:17 PM
You are talking about Tim at Ahearn and Napa in Spencer correct? The guy is great and will give u a loaner so he says. He said guaranteed downtime of a lazer on average was only 3 hours. The only thing I dont like about him is that he wont budge on prices. I really havent asked for anything extra, but he hasnt lowered his price. I was looking at his leftover 52zhp and he discounted $200 and it was november. My toro guy will give me a $100 off on a $1000 machine so i tend to like him better even though i bought all my stihls and echos at ahearn. I am looking forward to the open house on april 19th and am still deciding between exmark hydro tthp or toro 44 hydro which is 700 cheaper.
good luck with your machine but i would go with exmark. He still has those land prides for a reason, they wont sell because nobody wants one. Wil he carry that line next year for parts etc?

roscioli
03-26-2002, 05:23 PM
Yup, the Landpride is at Ahearn. Thats one of the things I am worried about is parts availability for that dealer if he won;t be carrying them in the future, which I am almost sure he wont. Of course he will continue with the rest of the landpride line, so he will still have the company connection to get parts, but wont stock them if he has only sold one mower. He definately doesn't budge much on prices, but I think that he is getting desparate, he has had them for at least a year, and needs to get rid of them. Thanks for the input, Mike

edward hedrick
03-26-2002, 08:44 PM
I like the price of the Landpride. also in Ahearns they have a

Cub Cadet 54 Z w 18 lc Kawi and bag setup $ 3800. Might be a good starter. Ed

mickman
03-27-2002, 07:48 PM
I just traded in 1999 60" 22hp for 2002 27hp lc lazer. they're price before taxes: $7999.00. only mowed 1 yard thus far.......and love it!!!!!!!!