PDA

View Full Version : Brake controller and LEDs

TazLandscapes
04-15-2009, 11:43 PM
Question #1.I need some help in getting a new trailer brake controller.I have been looking at the ones on Northerntool.com i would like something digital but not that expensive.i tow a 6x14 Enclosed double axle trailer.

Question #2.I want to put a couple of led flashers and two floodlights on my enclosed trailer.I know what i want for leds but i do not know what ype of flood light i should get.and how i should wire them both up.I want the leds to flash when im on the side of the road. but i want the flood lights on a switch in the trailer. plus i want them to come on when i back the trailer up.
what is my best solution for this problem.

Thanks
Mike

ALLPro Landscaping
04-16-2009, 12:57 AM
Question # 1 whats your budget
Question # 2 What kind of LED's, replace halogen with led brake,stop,and turn, or warning lights

TazLandscapes
04-16-2009, 04:22 PM
My budget for the brake controller is right around $60.I found this one on Northern tool.com website.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200324707_200324707
I should have made it more clearer.i wanted led flashers warning lights. i have those already. And for spot lights i was thinking Something right around 55 watts.

mike

VirginiaLawnCare
04-16-2009, 07:17 PM
I wouldn't even waste my money if it was me and I was pulling that trailer around with the truck you have.

igotdiesel2
04-16-2009, 09:15 PM
As for the trailer brakes, Look on Ebay. I picked up a Tenkonsha P3(spelling stinks) for 50 bucks. It is by far the best controller I have owned. Question 2 if you want a flood light for loading and what not. I used a tractor style flood light for my rear door. I wired it up to the full hot that came from the truck using a relay I use a switch by the door to kick it on. I too have LED strobes on the back of my trailer. I have 2 switches for these. one is a wired switch in the trailer. The other is a wireless switch. I keep the controller in the cab so I can kick them on when I am backing up. I also wired them up to the hot wire coming out of the truck. Here is a pic of mine. The 2 clear looking lights are the amber strobes. The flood is a rectangle style one. -Jason

topsites
04-17-2009, 09:53 PM
There are two types of brake controllers, the manual ones which are ALL relatively inexpensive.
And the automatic ones, which there exist a variety to even include semi-automatic,
but as soon as we get into these the price jumps.

Whether it's digital or not doesn't really make much of a difference, because it's either manual or it's automatic.

The difference is, as one might glean, the automatic ones adjust themselves for whatever
load happens to be on the trailer, they are nice and IMO the only kind to have.

The manual ones, you have to adjust it.
Forget to turn it down after unloading the trailer and you might flat spot a tire,
forget to turn it up after loading it and it might not stop as you'd expect it to,
adjust it wrong and either scenario can come up.

And I am not saying a manual one can't be learned, but I would think it takes an adjustment
so always a few extra cautionary but necessary steps before driving off, and the learning curve.

I do know you likely ain't finding a good new automatic controller for no $60.
And I could be wrong but I think they're more like $600, I said I think!
So you're either getting a lower priced manual controller or you fork out the dough for an automatic one.
And there might be a decent used one on Ebay, I don't know.

PMASON718
04-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Get a Prodigy or P3 for your brake controller. I have the P3 and I love it.

4.3mudder
04-22-2009, 07:11 PM
Now, I would like to know how post number 5 got a P3 for 50 bucks? I paid 110 for mine. I like it and it looks fancy.

4.3mudder
04-22-2009, 07:13 PM
I have LED's on mine, day and night difference on brightness, and I never have to check them. They are like 14 bucks a light at tractor supply left and right, 4 inch 30 bucks

PMASON718
04-23-2009, 09:10 AM
I have LED's on mine, day and night difference on brightness, and I never have to check them. They are like 14 bucks a light at tractor supply left and right, 4 inch 30 bucks

Mine were $5 a light at Optronics. Check them out here (http://www.optronicsinc.com/)

4.3mudder
04-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Mine were $5 a light at Optronics. Check them out here (http://www.optronicsinc.com/)

I'm going to have to look into that. Sounds like I got jipped

PMASON718
04-23-2009, 09:40 AM
I wouldn't say that you got jipped but check them out. The side markers cost me $5.05 each and the fender red/amber lights cost me $6.39, the tail lights (48 LED diodes) cots me $20.35 each and the License plate light cost me $8.97. I have a thread on here talking about it.

4.3mudder
04-23-2009, 05:03 PM
I wouldn't say that you got jipped but check them out. The side markers cost me $5.05 each and the fender red/amber lights cost me $6.39, the tail lights (48 LED diodes) cots me $20.35 each and the License plate light cost me $8.97. I have a thread on here talking about it.

OHHHH, ok I see, you were talking about your side markers were 5 bucks. Aww, see, I got my tailights fro the rear for 14 a piece. Now, I was wondering why that price was cheap :hammerhead:. Guess I need to pay attention next time.