PDA

View Full Version : Help Fast $35,000 Bid Tomorrow!!!!!!!!

Grass_Slayer
03-25-2002, 06:58 PM
u guys know owens corning insulation, shinlges, and all the other crap they make?

well i can bid on a plant in jackson, tn real close to me. 180 acres part mowing part bushogging. i mow for a guy that does machine shop work for them and he put in a good word for me. the only pob is i got to do the bid by tomorrow!!!!!!!

im gonna look at it tomorrow afternoon to see what all is involved. this job will mean buying new equip. and a whole lot of work. what do u think

the bid my inside guy told me to go for is between 32 and 35,000
for four months work.

tell me something please!!!!!!!!!:blob2:

LawnCrafters
03-25-2002, 07:15 PM
Can you buy all the equipment you'd need to get and make a profit for $32,000? Would take a lot of man hours.

Grass_Slayer
03-25-2002, 07:22 PM
have a 54" z and a ford 3000 with a 5' bush hog, my dad will front me the money for another z and maybe a new bush hog (the one i have is a piece of crap) might get a big tractor mounted mower instead of the z!?

yardboyltd
03-25-2002, 08:02 PM
Something that big is great, but is that really what you want?

Half way through bidding some large properties this year, I decided I didn't want the hastle of dealing with this. I could make more money residentially, and liked to watch my "canvas" form.

Do you want to strap your self down to something like this where if some equipment broke down, or just wanted to take a small get-away, you couldn't?

AGG Lawn Maintenance
03-25-2002, 08:05 PM
We had a contract about 3 years ago that had 216 acres. We had alot of weed wacking edging and cutting to be done. We ran a crew of 5 guys. Two to cut two to weed wack and one to edge.
Equipment line up:
1 12' Toro grounds master
2 60" Exmark ZTR's
3 Weed wackers
1 Stick edger
I don't know if you have any edging or weed wacking to be done... We did everything in 5 days. On big wide open lots it's great because most just have alot of cutting. My .02 keep a crew on just that contract. I would'nt start to invest too much money. Trust me. These contracts come and go. Its good if you can lock them into a 3 or 4 year contract. After that its up for bid again. Most of the time the lowest bid wins. I was lucky to get in. My uncle put in the good word for me. You know the saying "its not want you know but who you know.
Hope that helps.
Travis

SLS
03-25-2002, 08:06 PM
How many times will this 180 acres have to be whacked down over the 4 months?

yardboyltd
03-25-2002, 08:08 PM
Also, your insider is great, but you can't count on him

Last year I bid a large industrial property that my grandfather had worked for, for over 30 years as the top product engineer and designer with a degree in physics. He had alot of friends there and senority for a non-management position.

Anyways, I got outbid by dollars to the son-in-law of the maitence foreman in charge of bids. His daughter and son-in-law soon got tired of it, and so the maitence foreman was stucked doing it with his is Murray Rider!! :) The curbs were never trimmed either...

The sweetest revenge is that he got fired, so I'm bidding on it this year, and have a good chance...

TGCummings
03-25-2002, 08:32 PM
Yard Boy,

If you don't want the hassle of dealing with the industrial/commercial spots, why bid on it again this year? ;)

yardboyltd
03-25-2002, 10:49 PM
The sites I had been bidding on were 10 times what this one is.

I do commercial just, not >10k annually per contract usually...

Grass_Slayer
03-25-2002, 11:08 PM
the contract is for one year which sux really bad, and i probably wouldnt need all the equip. later.

im beginning to think i dont want this cause when i go back to college after the summer i wont have enough time to do it

i think i'll let it go for now. my insider said that if i really wanted it it would be there again next year!!

Currier
03-26-2002, 12:07 AM
"my insider said that if i really wanted it it would be there again next year!!"

...and that is what is being told to everyone....too bad for the poor guy who gets it and thinks he has got it made.

CHAN
03-26-2002, 12:31 AM
bid 45-50,000

Nebraska
03-26-2002, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by yardboyltd
The sites I had been bidding on were 10 times what this one is.

I do commercial just, not >10k annually per contract usually...

I hope your not doing 1800 acres less than 10k annually!!!!!!!!!!!!

How many of those 1800 acre sites do you have? Must have just one large operation.

Yet earlier you post: Half way through bidding some large properties this year, I decided I didn't want the hastle of dealing with this. I could make more money residentially, and liked to watch my "canvas" form.

FOS?

totallpm
03-26-2002, 02:27 AM
:blob2: I would be very carefull about bidding on such a place.

It all soundsd good and alot of money however...........

Large commercial properties have little or no loyalty and usually need to be rebid each year.

What % of the project does that represent in your business. If they cancel what will that do to your livelyhood. (it is not easy to replace)

I have learned the hard way after loosing a 45,000 yearly account after 3 years.

Focus on your existing customers, invest in your equipment to do a better and timely work. focus on quality and sell yurself and your services to your account base.

Make more money on each customer and referals

Big is not always better.

Regards, Kevin

southside
03-26-2002, 09:58 AM
I wouldn't go into a contract which required me to buy any extra
equipment,not on 12 months.3-4 years is much better.You need
time to get a return on that investment.

Why do they want the price tommorow? Whats the big rush?
Sounds like a company that wants everything done instantly but
wants 90-120 days to pay for it.

If you're serious about this,then you'll need to upgrade the equipment a bit. A Ford 3000 @ 47hp running a 12ft mower
may struggle a bit. It'll handle the 5' slasher just fine.
The Ford may handle the 12 footer if you're mowing on a very
regular basis. 12 footer will need to have belt drive to blades,as
an induvidual gearbox per blade will bog down the Fords motor
too much.

Hope this helps.

AGG Lawn Maintenance
03-26-2002, 12:16 PM
Good points!!! Southside :I wouldn't go into a contract which required me to buy any extra
equipment,not on 12 months.3-4 years is much better.You need
time to get a return on that investment. totallpm Large commercial properties have little or no loyalty and usually need to be rebid each year. Like I said before for to lock them into a 3-4 year contract. Some places want you to put up 10% of the total contract. In your case 4 years at $35,000 that would be $14,000.
Pluse you have to be insured. Watch yourself don't lose your shirt!!! It could be worth it if all the key elements come into play.
Its a tough market less per sq ft acre etc. But hey I know two guys who are making millions doing it. Just be smart about it. And get a good contract wriiten up. Good luck.
Travis

Grass_Slayer
03-26-2002, 02:25 PM
well i decided not to go for it, the reason they want the bid today is cause my "insider" has a friend who got the bid held up for a few days. i didnt know i could have bid on it till monday.

anyway i'm gonna let it go and see bout it next year. it gets rebid every year.

cantoo
03-26-2002, 10:37 PM
Nebraska ?

FOS? = First On Site ?? ;)

We kick grass
03-26-2002, 10:58 PM
I know the lure of the big figures sounds great and everything but take a good look at what you are trying to accomplish in such a short time. Probably 95% of the mistakes in landscape bidding are made at the last minute. My advise is and I know how hard it will be but walk away and hope for next year. The other guys are right on a property of that size there is no loyalty at all just a bottom line and a budget it will be available to bid next year when you have more time to put things together. And just remember jobs like this can instantly put you out of business and hurt your reputation for years to come if you cannot handle it. We have all been there one time or another for you I would make it another for know. There will be others come your way be patient.
Just a thought!!!!!

BigEd
03-27-2002, 01:04 AM
I read your profile and it says your 17,can you legally write or be held to contract?Not here.Just wondering:eek:

65hoss
03-27-2002, 01:29 AM
Let them find someone for $35k. Where is it at? I can drive to Jackson. I'll even mail in my bid.
180 acres X $65 = $11,700 X 20 cuts = $234,000

Not a penny less either!

Grass_Slayer
03-27-2002, 08:19 PM
i was waitin for u to say somethin hoss!! i figured it would catch ur attention when i said jackson.

im now 18 ed. but i passed up the bid and somebody elsxe probably already got it. so oh well, i dont really care i might get 2 smaller factories somewhere between 200 & 500 bux per mow!!