PDA

View Full Version : New Guy

TL1981
04-17-2009, 12:54 AM
Hello to all. I am a 28 year old happily married man with a 2 month old baby girl. I have been in the Machining industry for 9 years. Started out working in a Machine shop that made parts for J.D., Mack Truck, Firestone just to name a few. The last 3 of those 9 years I managed the facility, employees and customer contacts as well as scheduled daily production. The past 2 1/2 years I have been on the sales side of the industry.

Which brings me to today. I have always been the entrepreneurial mindset type. You know, the one who always has the great idea and drive but never takes action:dancing:

Well, I've had it up to here in my industry and am going to take action and move into the lawn care industry. I love being outside, working with my hands, and seeing a finished product of my work at the end of the day. Pure satisfaction to me. I'm good at landscaping and mowing and always have enjoyed making my property look as good as it can... I believe I have what it takes to succeed in this business and can't wait to get started!

I know there is much hard work ahead of me but the difference will be that I will enjoy that hard work. Truely.

I have a self propelled push, weed eator, blower, hand tools obviously for home care. I know those should be ok for getting started and will upgrade as I go along. However, I do not have a commercial walk behind or Z-turn. I went out today and looked at a few trailers and Z-turns today and it brought up a question. I will mainly be targeting residential properties and many of those properties around this area (north eastern IN) just don't seem large enough to use even a 48" Z-turn let alone justify using one. Maybe I'm wrong. I love the idea of having one because I know i would cut time tremendously but I am just not sure about it... what are you guys using in those common small residential properties?
:usflag:

Thanks,
T

KCfireman
04-17-2009, 12:58 AM
Hello to all. I am a 28 year old happily married man with a 2 month old baby girl. I have been in the Machining industry for 9 years. Started out working in a Machine shop that made parts for J.D., Mack Truck, Firestone just to name a few. The last 3 of those 9 years I managed the facility, employees and customer contacts as well as scheduled daily production. The past 2 1/2 years I have been on the sales side of the industry.

Which brings me to today. I have always been the entrepreneurial mindset type. You know, the one who always has the great idea and drive but never takes action:dancing:

Well, I've had it up to here in my industry and am going to take action and move into the lawn care industry. I love being outside, working with my hands, and seeing a finished product of my work at the end of the day. Pure satisfaction to me. I'm good at landscaping and mowing and always have enjoyed making my property look as good as it can... I believe I have what it takes to succeed in this business and can't wait to get started!

I know there is much hard work ahead of me but the difference will be that I will enjoy that hard work. Truely.

I have a self propelled push, weed eator, blower, hand tools obviously for home care. I know those should be ok for getting started and will upgrade as I go along. However, I do not have a commercial walk behind or Z-turn. I went out today and looked at a few trailers and Z-turns today and it brought up a question. I will mainly be targeting residential properties and many of those properties around this area (north eastern IN) just don't seem large enough to use even a 48" Z-turn let alone justify using one. Maybe I'm wrong. I love the idea of having one because I know i would cut time tremendously but I am just not sure about it... what are you guys using in those common small residential properties?

Thanks,
TWelcome.:waving: If none of the yards can justify using a 48", for a ztr I would check into a 36" or 42" Wright Stander. They are both one hell of a machine.

DLAWNS
04-17-2009, 01:06 AM
Welcome to the site. I would also agree to check out the smaller Wright Standers.

KCfireman
04-17-2009, 01:09 AM
Welcome to the site. I would also agree to check out the smaller Wright Standers.They are just the perfect size. Quick, great cut. Also check out the BOP(Better Outdoor Products Line) as well.

KrayzKajun
04-17-2009, 01:11 AM
Welcome!!!! best of luck!

TL1981
04-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Thanks guys! I will check into those!

I plan on starting it out as a sole prop and moving to an LLC when needed. Do I need a business tax ID number if I do set it up as sole prop structure? I'm sure I would if it was any other structure but the lady at the court house recorders office said that was the first step before doing the DBA.

Or should I ask this questions somewhere else? Anyway thanks again!
T

SperaLandscaping
04-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Im not sure what state your from but here in Mass. I'm pretty sure you can just use your social security number for a sole proprietor. Tax ID is not required but if you plan on growing and getting any commercial accounts I would recommend getting one. Businesses will take you seriously and it will make it easier to pay your estimated taxes if you have to. Good luck..