PDA

View Full Version : Concrete cap stone mortared to wood

Florabama
04-17-2009, 01:48 AM
I am constructing a concrete brick retaining wall three ft out from and curving into an existing RR tie wall. About 10ft of the old RR tie wall will not be "covered" with the new wall due to established plantings. The capstones on the new wall are at the same level as the ties and the customer would like to have the capstones continue on top of the RR ties. What is the best material to use for a waterproof mortar base on top of these old ties. The ties are stable but moist and old. prob less than 7 years of life. I was thinking 1/4 inch plywood strips painted with two coats of acrylic. Am I totally off on this? Would it hold the stones?

Meezer
04-17-2009, 10:14 AM
The customer would like to have the capstones continue on top of the RR ties. What is the best material to use for a waterproof mortar base on top of these old ties.

Waterproof mortar base for rr ties??? There is no such thing:nono:

Bru75
04-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't try that.

Florabama
04-17-2009, 10:35 PM
Thanks, you confirmed my doubts as well. Assuming I fasten a waterproof as possible strip to the ties, is there a block/wood construction adhesive that might do the trick?

Thanks for your replys!!

Isobel
04-17-2009, 10:54 PM
Assuming I fasten a waterproof as possible strip to the ties, is there a block/wood construction adhesive that might do the trick?

what does "fasten a waterproof" mean?

I didn't know "waterproof" was a noun.
:dizzy:

Meezer
04-17-2009, 10:54 PM
Assuming I fasten a waterproof as possible strip to the ties, is there a block/wood construction adhesive that might do the trick?

None that I'm aware of. If you do use some type of adhesive, what kind of warranty(if any) do you plan giving the HO on the rr tie adventure???

capelawncare.com
04-18-2009, 01:01 AM
Run Forestt Run! Run Away from that job.

Bru75
04-18-2009, 01:07 AM
Run Forestt Run! Run Away from that job.

Kinda what I was thinking.....

Florabama
04-18-2009, 11:27 AM
I appreciate your replies, I've done quite a few walls but have never been asked to put block on wood outdoors. Customer wanted a 1-2 inch rise on top of the remaining RR tie run to cover the ties and provide an additional edge to help keep river pebbles from washing over the edge during our monsoon rainstorms. The outside of the remaining ties are covered with healthy azaleas. I think I'll suggest a nice 1" cedar plank screwed to the ties, nicer look, elevation lines up with new wall and no worries.