PDA

View Full Version : Gerber Daisy

manfromearth
04-17-2009, 09:12 AM
The answer to my forthcoming question is probably dependent on what area of the country you are in. I live in Birmingham, AL, so my area of interest is mostly with zone 7. In all our big box stores, here, Gerber daisies get sold by the thousands. No doubt, they have great visual appeal. In all my 25 years + of landscaping, I have never, ever planted even one Gerber daisy for a client. My philosophy being, "why plant a perennial that isn't going to last for more than a year". I can honestly say I have never seen an established stand of Gerber daisy in my area. Am I totally off base, here? Are Gerber daisies simply a short flowering annual or do I have "GDP" ( gerber daisy phobia)? NOTE: Other daisies (ie. Shasta), I plant and do quite well with. Thanks!

White Gardens
04-17-2009, 09:16 AM
They are an annual, not a perennial.:hammerhead:

They might thrive outside year round in certain parts of Florida.

Using annuals is all a matter of preference, and application. I don't generally use them because I don't use a lot of orange tones in my annual beds, mainly because most houses don't get painted burnt orange or barn red that often. I go generally with red, white, blues, purples.

KACYDS
04-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Gerber Daisy is a Herbaceous perennial which requires good drainage, prefers sun to partial shade and generally best for smaller areas of color, than large mass plantings. Its best to remove old flower heads, to encourage more flowering. They overwinter well in Zone 9, and not fully hardy in Zone 8 and above.

Hopefully this helps................:usflag:

White Gardens
04-17-2009, 09:07 PM
Gerber Daisy is a Herbaceous perennial which requires good drainage, prefers sun to partial shade and generally best for smaller areas of color, than large mass plantings. Its best to remove old flower heads, to encourage more flowering. They overwinter well in Zone 9, and not fully hardy in Zone 8 and above.

Hopefully this helps................:usflag:

Do you guys get gerbers to grow year round with no problems ???

KACYDS
04-19-2009, 08:38 AM
Do you guys get gerbers to grow year round with no problems ???

Yes, we do, but they look like crap in the winter. But know that it is spring, they are beautiful and flowering. Just wouldnt use them on a large scale.

hencutter
04-19-2009, 05:08 PM
Yes, we do, but they look like crap in the winter. But know that it is spring, they are beautiful and flowering. Just wouldnt use them on a large scale.

same here,they tend to "make it" thru the winter usually,but the don't look good until spring. We use them sparingly.