PDA

View Full Version : Commercial Bid, need Help fast, please read

fastrunner
03-25-2002, 07:28 PM
hi, heres the deal. I have a chance to bid on this medical center and i measured out all the turf area with a measuring wheel. It came out to a grand total of 53,500 sq.ft of turf area. This turf is not a crappy turf, all irrigated and fertilized regularly.. so it will be THICK!. difficulty is probably 5/10. pretty wide open but does have landscaping beds and trees. I know it only about 1 1/4 acre but it just seemed larger by the eye until i measured it. The mowing includes trimming and blowing off all clippings off sideways and parking lot. will have to be mowed every thursday. I figured it will take me about 1 hour 15-20 minutes with 2 guys. I bid $130.00 on it and i am thinking about calling them up and proposing a new bid for $110.00. Cause i am not that experienced in bidding and think i overdid this one. ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED. thanks again guys. Jeff

fastrunner
03-25-2002, 07:51 PM
Man, i really need help with this!

heygrassman
03-25-2002, 08:00 PM
What kind of equipment are you using? 2 guys 1hr 20 min seems a little long but I am not able to see the lot. At 1.75 per 1K sq ft I get $94.5 before trimming.. I do not know your cost structure.

I am still new at this so take for what it is worth... $.02.

jf

Currier
03-25-2002, 08:00 PM
I know the "second guessing" feeling! I have second guessed myself twice this year thinking about a lower price...turns out it went to someone who charged MUCH lower, so low there is no way I would have mowed it for their price.

My gut feeling is you made your bid now stick with it. If you personally know the contact person, then maybe (if you desperately want the job) offer the lower price. If you don't know them and they don't know you, I think you will be setting yourself up to be percieved negatively. They may consider you wishy washy, or unstable (green), or they may work you over get you committed at too low a price and then your stuck.

There are other opportunities and they will come your way.

1stclasslawns
03-25-2002, 08:13 PM
Express to them your experience, and insurence, the aspects of your bussiness that makes you a legit buss. You may not get it but they might call you after the "new"guy fails.

I think You might go back and tell them you reran the figures and you might be able to reduce your bid a bit.

Jim

Mow&Snow
03-25-2002, 08:24 PM
It has been my experience that best price I can come up with, is ALWAYs the number I figured while on the ground. In other words...if I look at something I think to myself, while I'm looking at it it, "how long will this take?" I then put a price on it and stick to it. Later when I get home and start thinking about the price, it invariably looks smaller or i think I can do it faster. This leads to disaster.

The moral is this: Go with the price u made while looking at the work!

TGCummings
03-25-2002, 08:26 PM
Maybe it's just me, but once the quote is in you should stick by it. You definitely don't want to be perceived as wishy-washy or, worse, desperate.

If you've overbid, learn from the experience. Again, we can get the square footage and equipment you are using but we can't know your costs, your business, or your area as well as you.

Whether you get this bid or not, use it to learn cost-estimating on larger jobs. Work on a system and have one in place for the next time. One job will not make or break you, but each one should be a learning experience; whether you get it or not...

fastrunner
03-25-2002, 08:33 PM
no, i am not really that desparate for the job. Its just that it would be nice to have cause its around other medical centers and it would make me look good to be working there. If i just say that I mis calcuated the sq. footage do you think they will believe me or just think i made it up cause i really need a job??? i just dont want to ignore it and keep my bid at $130.00 when i know i can still bring in profit at $110.00. Yeah, i know, it was an inexperienced mistake, but oh well. maybe they will call me tomarrow and say i got the job??? who knows...

To answer anyones questions i will be mowing with a 61" ZTR and the trimming involves around bedlines, all the trees, probably 30 or so, and edges. thanks.

Bladewielder
03-25-2002, 08:41 PM
As to bidding in general, first of all you want to be confident of what hourly rate you want to charge in general (regardless of the account). When deciding this don't undercut everyone else out there and don't short- change yourself either. Try to find out what other people charge in your area and be comparable. With overly cheap prices you'll get alot of accounts but will make a fraction of the money in the long run. Next be REALISTIC about the length of time you think it will take you. Take into consideration the time that will elapse between opening your door and shutting it to leave (assuming you talk to no one and have no breakdowns). Multiply the two and see what you have. As for your present predicament my advice is to stick with your initial bid. It is a lot easier to take the price down later if you are truly uncomfortable with it than to try and raise it when you're kicking yourself for second guessing in the first place.

fastrunner
03-25-2002, 08:45 PM
well if i give them a lower bid do you think i should do it right away or wait a week?? by then the job will probably be taken. if i do it right away maybe it will just look like a mistake to them. i dont know.

Kent Lawns
03-25-2002, 09:01 PM
I have a TON of properties exactly as described.

$130 may not get it, but your bid is your bid and it's a good one.

You cannot change it and only rookies try.

grasscutt
03-25-2002, 09:05 PM
Once I give a bid I never negotiate my price. I give them the best price I can up front and then stick with it.

fastrunner
03-25-2002, 09:59 PM
well if i shouldnt change my bid then should i just follow up and call him in a couple of days and ask him if he looked at it, or just leave him be and if hes interested, hell call me.??? thanks guys for the help.

Doc Pete
03-25-2002, 10:25 PM
Well all have some lawns we make $75 an hour while drinking a Pepsi. OTOH, we have others that we barely clear $40. At the end of the week if the bottom line is good that's all that matters. It would be nice have all "piece o' cake" lawns, but that's just not the case. If you ask other guy's in business that are carpenters, wall paperer's, or electricians they all have their "milk" jobs, and treat the lesser paying ones as "fillers". IMO, it's just part of doing business. If you don't get the job, another "will" come along. Don't worry:D :D :D

For Pete's Sake