PDA

View Full Version : freebys

ronslawncare
03-25-2002, 10:46 PM
question .i was thinking of putting a ad in the paper .with a full year lawn mainteanance agreement free flat of annuals planted. everyone is giveing free first cut or free fert program ,or free powerake with a clean-up witch is nuts .i figured this is cheap and might generate a
bussiness could lead to more plantings and mulch jobs.should i stay away from this idea does it just lead to cheap people.thanks ronnie

trimmer
03-25-2002, 11:05 PM
I don't ever give away free services, sometimes I will go above and beyond the call of duty for my customers. The only problem I see with flowers is what if they don't have a bed to put them in or they do but it is full of weeds?

ronslawncare
03-25-2002, 11:15 PM
no beds there screwed but if theres weeds im makeing money.

fastrunner
03-26-2002, 12:17 AM
what i like to say is that i will give you free driveway and sidewalk edging for the season if you sign up now,,, but little do they know that the price that i give them is actally with the edging too... but they think they are getting it for free. seems dirty, but its business i guess. and if they say, well, if you dont do the edging, then what is the price??? this just means that they are cheap and will bring you nothing but problems inthe future. Dont ever offer anything that will loose you money.. annuals are money.. maybe if you have a huge hosta garden that you split every year or something, then that could be something to consider..... And again, if you ever are asked by a cheapie old lady,,, do you give senior discounts?? say sure.... let me knock off 10% here. but what you do is raise your enitial price 10% more to begin with then subtract 10%.. Oh my golly, your back to the original bid. And if they ask you after you give them a price,, well, just say no.... sorry i got off the subject.

BRIAN GALLO
03-26-2002, 12:38 AM
Sometimes I'll spray a little Roundup and not charge, but I try to stay away from "freebies" - people will tend to expect them after a while.

olderthandirt
03-26-2002, 12:56 AM
If you break a piece of equipment it cost the same to fix weather you were charging for the use of it or giving it away free. Like my daddy use to say nothin in life is free!

corban
03-26-2002, 01:05 AM
What about offering a discount to customers if they can get the neighbors on each side to hire you? I think I'll advertise that in my flyers this year: $5 off for the middle-man

proline32
03-26-2002, 04:25 PM
Don't give away freebee's, the customers start to expect it from you and when you start talking about charging for the same services they look at you like your some enron executive with a golden parachute and your scewing the masses over....... Make them know up front that EVERYTHING will cost money to perform. Honesty up front is the best policy, if a customer doesn't like it..... well maybee they arn't the ones you want to do work for.

walker-talker
03-26-2002, 04:41 PM
Free winterization for all new, full season mowing customers. What does that cost....$5 and 5 minutes?

MATT

geogunn
03-26-2002, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by ronslawncare
should i stay away from this idea does it just lead to cheap people.thanks ronnie

ronnie--if you get any responses from your proposal to work for free, I'll be willing to bet that you get every P-I-A customer out there that will slow pay, ***** and drop you for the next freeby offer.

the people you want to work for know that they can expect to get what they pay for.

good luck.

GEO

awm
03-26-2002, 06:38 PM
if im low or free on anything its fert. im on a pay per mow with weekly and some every other wk. a good fert program makes most weekly. trying now to sale the beautification program
the whole program for a monthly fee.these are the ones i enjoy the most.

Little Guy
03-26-2002, 07:39 PM
The only free service I Offer is (and all my clients know) if they get me 4 Paying accounts they will get a free Lawn Roll or cut. Small price to pay for extra income!

Little Guy:blob2:

wattsup
03-26-2002, 10:53 PM
Little Guy, what a great idea; care if I use your idea too?

ronslawncare
03-26-2002, 11:09 PM
i hear that im tossing the idea.it will eventually lead to trouble.im just trying to match the competion .bad way to start.the neighbor thing works though i got to like this last year .have them do your dirty work .