PDA

View Full Version : Do You.....

chicks-dig-lawn-guys
03-25-2002, 11:15 PM
Do any of you hate doing your own lawn? I can go out and cut lawns all day but hate havin to do my own lawn. I guess it's just the thought of knowing I aint gettin paid for it. Do any of you feel the same way?

1grnlwn
03-25-2002, 11:36 PM
I usually put mine off, but I enjoy all of it but around the pine trees.

Barkleymut
03-25-2002, 11:51 PM
I'm the same way. My wife always says what about my yard? I always ask her how much is she paying the yard boy? She then says that the dog is hungry and sure would like my dinner so I end up doing it for free for her everytime. Man I'm a sucker.

LawnCrafters
03-26-2002, 12:28 AM
Mine always gets put off too. I think about it the same way...I'm not getting paid to do it and if my crew helps me do it I'm actually paying for it.
I don't really mind doing mine at all, it's just funny to think about it like that.

BRIAN GALLO
03-26-2002, 12:41 AM
I always tell everyone that out of all the lawns I take care of, mine is the worst to cut! It looks nice, but it is full of little hills and all kinds of inversions - its just a pain to cut.

Bladewielder
03-26-2002, 12:49 AM
I agree completely. Hey, when you're out mowin' the world 'til zero dark-thirty who has the time? I usually end up mowing mine, which is about half an acre, at dusk or in the dark with headlights.

Mykster
03-26-2002, 01:24 AM
I thought I was the only one. 2nd year in the new house and just finishing up the back yard. Got sod coming Thurs. Although my front yard is all done however, I'm the only one that i do bi-weekly, hopefully that will change this year.

JimLewis
03-26-2002, 01:53 AM
Well, after all the lawns I've mowed, I am sick of lawn mowing in general. Not just mine - I can't stand mowing period. Good thing I got crews to do that for me. They do my lawn too.

In fact, my wife and I get into [friendly] arguments about it. She gets on be about house chores and I say, "Hey! I take care of the outside. The lawn, landscape, etc." She says, "No you don't. You have your workers do it." And I say, "That's right. Doesn't matter who does it as long as I get it done. And when you open your own house cleaning company you can have your workers clean the house."

TJLC
03-26-2002, 06:53 AM
I agree with all you guys. Mine is always the LAST one to be cut.

foxslawncare
03-26-2002, 07:42 AM
Same here. I use to have to puch mow backyard because ztr would not fit. This i have added a 36 toro wb. So lets see if things change this year. 1st or last....lol

keifer
03-26-2002, 07:50 AM
No mine cant grow fast enought. I love it. Sometimes my wife will be out cutting it and it makes me mad because i cant do it.

rodfather
03-26-2002, 09:10 AM
Now I remember why I live in a condo...I always hated mowing my own lawn in the past.

AielLandscaping
03-26-2002, 09:59 AM
i'm in the same boat as everyone else.. my lawn never gets cut unless other people start complaining about it or another lco comes by and knocks on the door asking if they can do the clean up.. that's about when i know it's time to do something about it... like cut it down and spray it with a growth regulator so it doesn't grow again for 8 weeks...

Russo
03-26-2002, 10:15 AM
Glad I'm not the only one who puts it off forever. I think it does have something to do with not getting payed for it. But I am motivated by the idea that someone might say " look at his sloppy joint! I'd never let him care for my property!" So I make sure to mow my house AT LEAST every 4 months.

PRECISION LC
03-26-2002, 10:16 AM
It is sad that most of us who mow can't stand mwoing our own yards. I can't stand mowing my yard. It is almost a hastle, I cant fit my big moewr in the back so i normally mow the front and then the back on a bi-weekly basis.

AltaLawnCare
03-26-2002, 10:21 AM
LOL.
I'm even thinking, that in addition to not getting paid, I'm wearing out blades, burning gas and running up hours on the mower.

This year I might not cut all of it - I may let a large portion of it grow tall and sell it for hay! :p

mdb landscaping
03-26-2002, 10:56 AM
This is so funny, cause i always think this to myself. I work it into my schedule, but its the least fun to mow. i guess because ive been mowing it since a kid. I feel its not as fun to mow as the other yards are. The lawn looks damn good when im done, but just something about doing it makes me bored.

stslawncare
03-26-2002, 10:58 AM
i dont always mind doing mine, i think of it this way, i live about 6' off a fairly main road in my neighborhood, i figure customers will think bad about my service if my yard looks bad.

AGG Lawn Maintenance
03-26-2002, 11:52 AM
out mowin' the world 'til zero dark-thirty . Too funny. I cut my lawn and do the leaves every Monday. My wife complains that their are about three leave still on the lawn. She also complains the I cut it on Monday not Friday. I am glad you all have co-signed what I have told her for a long time. I am going to print this post and put it right on our bed for her to read.:D

Ground Master
03-26-2002, 11:58 AM
I put my lawn on one of our routes......

1grnlwn
03-26-2002, 01:15 PM
You know NOBODY wants there grass cut on Monday. Good Idea.

Mark

Dave Feder
03-26-2002, 02:25 PM
You guys mow your own lawns? I don't get paid to mow mine so my wife mows it. She says she likes the excercise, but I think she gets tired of waiting for me.

swn
03-26-2002, 02:33 PM
Mine is always last, but I love to do it. I think it pays off to have your lawn looking its best. You never know when a potential customer could be turned away because of how your lawn looks.

LAWNS AND MOWER
03-26-2002, 04:03 PM
Mine gets mowed once every 5 weeks whether it needs it or not. I'm in the process of getting my business to the point where I won't need a push mower. Only have about 5 accts where I need the push mower and I'm trying to devise a way to get rid of these accts ( people are super nice ). Anyway, my yard has to be done with a push mower, so I guess I'll always have to have a push. Tried once using my walkbehind on my yard last year and turned it into a war zone. Only good thing about mowing my own yard is that I can drink cold adult beverages while I'm doing it.

LAWNS AND MOWER

Remsen1
03-26-2002, 04:16 PM
Mine is the only lawn I can mow while having a beer. And if it is really sunny, it is the only lawn that I can take my shirt off.

But on the other hand, I think the reason that we hate doing our own lawns is not the actual mowing (because I love to mow grass), it is partially the money, but I think it is mostly the fact that it is TIME that we don't WANT to be mowing. It is TIME that we wouldn't mow a 30x30 lot even if we were offered $100, yet we have to because nobody else will. It is like a school kid and homework, it's like they are bringing school home with them. It sucks.

TCO
03-26-2002, 06:16 PM
I have about 2 to 3 acres to mow. Last year some guys drove down our road with fliers that offered to cut for $ 25.00, I almost hired them.:cool:

beck
03-26-2002, 07:09 PM
Even with doing 4-5 of my neighbours it does not get done at the same time. I usually save it for the weekend. I actually use a 21" on it. Truck and trailer get stored somewhere else and I would have to change the height on the 36. It is easier just to use the 21"

SJR Lawncare
03-26-2002, 08:10 PM
Am I the only one?? I love mowing my own lawn. I have worked really hard to have a nice lawn & it looks so good when I am finished mowing it on friday afternoons after all my customers lawns are done.

kris
03-26-2002, 08:18 PM
Am I missing something here??? What are kids for????:)

anythinglawns
03-26-2002, 10:25 PM
My wife says that I am the cobbler with holes in my shoes. I really don't mind mowing my yard but it is usually dark when I get home.

Turfdude
03-26-2002, 10:30 PM
I can't believe you guys let your places go to s**t. Not only is it unprofessional, but it also is hypocritical! If your clients wanted their properties mowed every 2 weeks, or when they got a**h*le high, you'd all complain about what lousy accounts they are and this and that!!!

Jim Lewis - you run a professional show - kudos to you. I also have my crews mow my lawn weekly. One's own property should reflect pride in ones work. I hate mowing grass and try to avoid it at all costs. My pride is reflected in the pruning, mulching, annual and perennial display. These are well tended to as well.

Keep your own places up to par - your property is a reflection of your workmanship. Most of our correspondence to our clients has a line that reads "The appearance of your property is as important to us as it is to you". I wonder what your clients think when they ride by and see how BAD your lawn and landscape look???

Bob

KirbysLawn
03-26-2002, 10:40 PM
Humm Bob, don't hold back..lol. I agree. I love mowing my lawn, I think it reflects you and the job you do. Here is mine:

http://www.unionturf.com/rays/DSC00123.JPG

Mow&Snow
03-26-2002, 11:32 PM
i recently moved to new location. I still need to put a lawn in, as it's currently nothing but clay.

This is REAL high on my priority list. lol

Might get done by 2010.

or maybe not.

chicks-dig-lawn-guys
03-26-2002, 11:42 PM
Hey Bobby calm down. It will all be ok. Just keep on breathin and nothing bad will happen....honest

Scotty
03-27-2002, 12:55 AM
My lawn is included on our Tuesday route, but sometimes we get behind so I just cut it on the weekends. I must be crazy, but I really enjoy cutting my lawn, especially when I do it myself on the weekend. I think the main reason is because I don't have to put up with things customers do, water lawn just before I cut, lay a 12" strip of sod on a 70 degree angle for 200', landscape beds to close together so you need to trim large areas, place play structures in the middle of lawn so it takes 15 minutes of trimming, or lay sod in areas that is impossible to cut with mowers. Cutting my lawn destresses me from all the crazy lawns we service.

AGG Lawn Maintenance
03-27-2002, 09:10 PM
Bob you live in Jersey I might have you mow my lawn. LoLs.
Your right. I mow mine but as I said my wife wants it done on Friday. I used to be able to do it on Friday but we moved into a new house in a different area. Now it fits on my Monday route.
Travis

Austin
03-27-2002, 09:23 PM
I'm new to all this, but why do people not want their lawns mowed on monday? I dont see why it would matter :rolleyes:

MATTHEW
03-27-2002, 09:54 PM
I would be more exited about mowing mine if I could get those beautiful stripes. Its a shade lawn and I cannot get it to look like a freshly cut K-blu one. It gets 2 apps of 20-10-10 and maybe an scu in the summer. I'll cut it if the wife doesn't.

kerr lawn
03-27-2002, 09:54 PM
gotta look nice for the weekend.

I cut my grass 2 times a week. my crew and i get home drop the gate and i roll the 48" off cut the grass. While they unload z master, weedwackers, gas, blowers, and un-hook trailer. I come back around front 10 mins later and they are done along with my lawn. It used to take me an hour with a push mower.
The other time is when we mow my neighborhood.

Bob Minney
03-28-2002, 08:08 PM
In the early spring I cut mine Monday & Friday. By the middle of June it gets cut about the time I hear "when are you going to cut ours?"

the point man
03-28-2002, 09:16 PM
I have the kid next door do it and I pay him ten bucks.

P>S> Yes, I know that one of you guys will probably hunt me
down and murder me in my sleep for this post, but he loves
mowing it and I love not having to do it. (Win, win).

Darryl G
03-28-2002, 10:34 PM
I mow mine every three to four weeks whether it needs it or not, with a 5 ft brush hog. Man you outta see that thing stripe (yeah right).

awm
03-29-2002, 09:13 PM
i dont hate doing mine . i have 10 acres ,but can mow what i call the lawn in 20 min. got other things to do with my time.

chargincharlie5
03-29-2002, 09:46 PM
guess its just like a car mechanic always has the junkies runnin car but fixes everyone elses like to keep my lawn mowed all the time have to keep up with my company name Best Kept

kris
03-30-2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Austin
I'm new to all this, but why do people not want their lawns mowed on monday? I dont see why it would matter :rolleyes:

Austin .... you will find that people want their property's looking good for the weekend ... we service the commercial accounts first in the week.

Bob Minney
03-30-2002, 10:17 AM
Monday is my second most requested day after friday. Lots of police & fire people who are on different schedules.

kris
03-30-2002, 10:34 AM
That's interesting Bob ... good point about the differant schedules.. what's really interesting to me is that you mention Police and Fireman ... I would think they would be the ones out doing the cutting on the side not customers????

Tyner Lawn Service
03-30-2002, 10:37 AM
I have no problem with mowing my own lawn. Sometimes twice a week. And I mow up to 48 lawns in four days with no complaints by myself at 47 years old. I keep my home and equipment and bookeeping up to date and still have time to enjoy wine, women and song. I like it when your neighbors are mowing and you get home mow your lawn and then holler at them"I beat you!!" LOL I'm pretty competative. I even showed this neighbor who thought he was Mr. Stud at 15 yrs younger than me how tough he was'nt. Took him along one Saturday powerraking 4 good sized lawns and wore him out bigtime. What was the question again??

JJOHN22042
03-30-2002, 10:42 AM
Love doing my Lawn on the Weekend, My Wife brings me out lunch and something cold to Drink every time. Plus I can do the lawn the way I like and no one can say anything about it.:D :D :D