PDA

View Full Version : guys don't want to work on weekends

nosparkplugs
04-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Guys are just beat tired on Fridays during the spring ME I'm ready to GO:walking:

I am having a hard time getting the guys to work on weekends/Saturday we don't work on Sunday's. It rained some here in the AM we can mow now!!! sun is out:clapping:, and of course Friday was payroll. My crew leader will not answer his company phone either, were not behind but I would like to get ahead too. Stuck in the office, and on Lawnsite until they show up:cry:

Maybe Bonus Money would work for weekends. CASH IS KING :)

JB1
04-18-2009, 11:53 AM
mine will do any amount of work through the week to have weekends off.

CLARK LAWN
04-18-2009, 04:43 PM
we do 6 days until the end of may,just have to in order to stay on top of it all. this is not negocialable be here if you want a job. as for the crew leader not answering the company cell phone he would be getting a message saying that you have 1/2 hour to return this call or i will consider this your resignation,

Ben'sLawnCare
04-18-2009, 04:48 PM
I agree it seems that if they want a job the would be there on whatever day you need them. If you tell you employees to be at the shop on saturday morning they best be there or they would be fired. No call no show!!!! Thats just my opinion though.

ed2hess
04-18-2009, 05:47 PM
I agree it seems that if they want a job the would be there on whatever day you need them. If you tell you employees to be at the shop on saturday morning they best be there or they would be fired. No call no show!!!! Thats just my opinion though.

When you got a good set of workers you never throw around the fire word in our part of the country. It is just like any other job if the boss comes in and works the employees will generally follow.

nosparkplugs
04-18-2009, 11:25 PM
It all worked out today he called back, and we got the account done. His phone was not on the charger and went dead.

Lawnworks
04-19-2009, 12:14 AM
It sounds like your guy pulled through which is great. I had a crew leader that would not work weekends. All my other guys and crew leaders will work whatever hours/days necessary to get the jobs done. I finally fired him, and my company morale has never been better. Most employees don't understand that feeding your family comes FIRST!

Lawnworks
04-19-2009, 12:16 AM
When you got a good set of workers you never throw around the fire word in our part of the country. It is just like any other job if the boss comes in and works the employees will generally follow.

It seems like if we have to threaten to fire them, maybe they should never be working for us in the first place.

I will hire a guy with no experience, great work ethic, and "servants heart" over someone experienced. I have to eat the training, but it always pays off in the end.

Flow Control
04-19-2009, 06:01 AM
Glad it worked out that day. But "This aint Burger King" whenever you get into the situation again, don't forget to pull the Boss Card out and use it.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii285/SenorBob08/bosscard.jpg

AI Inc
04-19-2009, 06:39 AM
My guys make $18 an hr. Working Saturdays means $27 an hr. I just assume they dont work Saturdays.

bohiaa
04-19-2009, 09:15 AM
I always throw extra money around. when we have larger jobs and it goes well. BAM 100 here 200 there, this makes them VERY HAPPY. WHAT you want me to purchase you a MP3 player, NO problem....

Guess what guys, it rained and were screwed we need to work this weekend.....

they push each other down trying to get here on Saturdays

Rex Mann
04-19-2009, 10:41 AM
I used t have the same problem, guys not wanting to work on Saturday. Then I figured it out, I paid on Friday. I put 2 and 2 together. I now pay on Tuesday. No body misses a Wednesday or Saturday any more.

Peace,

Rex

http://PaverExperts.Com

LouisianaLawnboy
04-19-2009, 02:19 PM
I DON'T WORK WEEKENDS, unless of an emergency.

Hoots
04-19-2009, 02:19 PM
My guys make $18 an hr. Working Saturdays means $27 an hr. I just assume they dont work Saturdays.

Why are you paying overtime just because it is a weekend? For me, until they hit 40 hrs, is still regular pay. Holidays are the only exception.

nosparkplugs
04-19-2009, 02:22 PM
I was thinking the same thing, no wonder your guys are prompt. Overtime does not start until you work past eight hours in a day or 40 hours total in a pay period

Why are you paying overtime just because it is a weekend? For me, until they hit 40 hrs, is still regular pay. Holidays are the only exception.

Hoots
04-19-2009, 02:24 PM
I always throw extra money around. when we have larger jobs and it goes well. BAM 100 here 200 there, this makes them VERY HAPPY. WHAT you want me to purchase you a MP3 player, NO problem....

You are exactly right on that. Money talks. I give bonuses the same way when there is a bigger job and it is well done. This really makes an employee like you even more. The better they like you, the harder they work.

My driver likes to fish, I think we may go on a guided striper fishing trip together sometime, company treat.:drinkup:

LouisianaLawnboy
04-19-2009, 02:27 PM

I'm assuming since its Sat, his guys have already worked 40 hrs. Therefore making any additional work to fall under the overtime bracket.

nosparkplugs
04-19-2009, 02:27 PM
I agree, I give bonuses for jobs done ahead of schedule. I also pay for Steel toe work boots each year that is almost better than Bonus money for some of my guys, and good insurance for me too.

You are exactly right on that. Money talks. I give bonuses the same way when there is a bigger job and it is well done. This really makes an employee like you even more. The better they like you, the harder they work.

My driver likes to fish, I think we may go on a guided striper fishing trip together sometime, company treat.:drinkup:

Hoots
04-19-2009, 02:38 PM
I'm assuming since its Sat, his guys have already worked 40 hrs. Therefore making any additional work to fall under the overtime bracket.

I was referring to a lost day of work due to rain requiring work on Saturday.

Most of the time we work on Saturday for a back-up weather day.

LouisianaLawnboy
04-19-2009, 02:42 PM
I was referring to a lost day of work due to rain requiring work on Saturday.

Most of the time we work on Saturday for a back-up weather day.

He never said that he lost a day though.:D

nosparkplugs
04-19-2009, 02:53 PM
We lost about 5 hours due to weather this week

lawnman_scott
04-19-2009, 02:53 PM
how the hell can you not hit 40 by saturday???

Hoots
04-19-2009, 03:20 PM
how the hell can you not hit 40 by saturday???

Because Saturday is a back up day. When it rains we dont come in unless the rain is going to stop early or it is light enough to mow.

ED'S LAWNCARE
04-19-2009, 05:12 PM
we do 6 days until the end of may,just have to in order to stay on top of it all. this is not negocialable be here if you want a job. as for the crew leader not answering the company cell phone he would be getting a message saying that you have 1/2 hour to return this call or i will consider this your resignation,

I'd hand you my phone with a f---off. No way I would expect someone to be on call just because you are backed up. People have lives, kids b-days etc. Things that are alot more important than working until death. Now with that being said if there was given notice of 48 hrs prior to saturday that should be enough notice. Not a call on sat morning saying hey come to work. I would answer the phone and laugh in you ear.

nosparkplugs
04-19-2009, 06:39 PM
I always stress family first this applies to myself & employee's. It did rain here in the early AM, and I did mention to the guys we were going to be working on Saturday later if it rains. For me if I'm working on Saturday it's like any other day minus I'm a little slower getting up:), the guys know this, and tend to take advantage of this buy NOT ANSWERING their phones as fast as I would like, but they always come through:), just make me sweat it for about an hour or two:dizzy:

I'd hand you my phone with a f---off. No way I would expect someone to be on call just because you are backed up. People have lives, kids b-days etc. Things that are alot more important than working until death. Now with that being said if there was given notice of 48 hrs prior to saturday that should be enough notice. Not a call on sat morning saying hey come to work. I would answer the phone and laugh in you ear.

Lawnworks
04-19-2009, 07:00 PM

My guys know that if it rains Monday they will working Saturday. If it rains Monday and Tuesday they know they will be working Saturday and Sunday. I don't have to tell them. Now if they have wedding to go to or something that cannot be rescheduled that is different.

Most of my guys want to work weekends. I have a crew out working today(Sunday) because they wanted to.

dmunoz
04-19-2009, 09:30 PM
Guys are just beat tired on Fridays during the spring ME I'm ready to GO:walking:

I am having a hard time getting the guys to work on weekends/Saturday we don't work on Sunday's. It rained some here in the AM we can mow now!!! sun is out:clapping:, and of course Friday was payroll. My crew leader will not answer his company phone either, were not behind but I would like to get ahead too. Stuck in the office, and on Lawnsite until they show up:cry:

Maybe Bonus Money would work for weekends. CASH IS KING :)

Most of my guys are happy to work weekends (time and a half). A few don't want to. I try to get everything done during the week. I've had a few who had a problem dragging themselves in on Monday or continually show up late. They don't last very long. I get about 3 calls a week (without advertising) from guys looking for work. If you don't show up, you don't have a job.

Hoots
04-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Ed's and other guys that would get mad about "the phone call" forget that we all work in a service based industry. The customer comes first...if we want to keep a job. If it rains or something else comes in the way, you must make some small sacrifices to get things done.

If you take nothing else from this thread, remember this, THE GRASS IS ALWAYS GROWING.

When you skip properties for 2 weeks there is normally twice the work, the crews get one day less on their check to share with their family and on and on we go.

Lest we forget that in the winter time most everyone has greatly reduced hours so they have time to spend at home then.

Make hay while the sun is shining and get to work.

Lawnworks
04-19-2009, 09:55 PM
Most of my guys are happy to work weekends (time and a half). A few don't want to. I try to get everything done during the week. I've had a few who had a problem dragging themselves in on Monday or continually show up late. They don't last very long. I get about 3 calls a week (without advertising) from guys looking for work. If you don't show up, you don't have a job.

I get calls on the time with people looking for a job because they see my trucks, yellow pages, or other advertising. I am about to the point where I just hang up on them. Most of the time I cannot understand ebonix(white and black people) and when I get their references, they give me the last guy that fired them because they were sorry employees. Are these guys just idiots? Do they think I ask for references just to bluff them? When I need guys, I talk to my employees and they find me good ones.

TMlawncare
04-20-2009, 01:17 AM
My guys know that if it rains Monday they will working Saturday. If it rains Monday and Tuesday they know they will be working Saturday and Sunday. I don't have to tell them. Now if they have wedding to go to or something that cannot be rescheduled that is different.

Exactly, if its a crew lead he knows when they are behind.

THC
04-20-2009, 01:26 AM
I used t have the same problem, guys not wanting to work on Saturday. Then I figured it out, I paid on Friday. I put 2 and 2 together. I now pay on Tuesday. No body misses a Wednesday or Saturday any more.

Peace,

Rex

http://PaverExperts.Com

THAT is very unique.

dmunoz
04-20-2009, 09:05 AM
I get calls on the time with people looking for a job because they see my trucks, yellow pages, or other advertising. I am about to the point where I just hang up on them. Most of the time I cannot understand ebonix(white and black people) and when I get their references, they give me the last guy that fired them because they were sorry employees. Are these guys just idiots? Do they think I ask for references just to bluff them? When I need guys, I talk to my employees and they find me good ones.

I call previous employers as well. I had an applicant once where the company told me that the guy I was calling about had never even worked there. If they lie about where they worked, how long they worked somewhere, or what they actually did, I don't hire them. I figure they'll lie about other things when they're my employee. I'd also prefer to hire someone referred to me by one of my guys. They don't refer slackers because they know it comes to them. And, you've got to wonder about the applicants who say things you really shouldn't tell prospective employers.

Hell on Blades
04-20-2009, 04:40 PM
:usflag:I'm just entering into this mess of employing others. I'd like to say that I take references, but I'd need someone to vouch for my kid...

PROCUT1
04-20-2009, 04:59 PM
With unemployment the way it is now and only going to get worse they are dam lucky to have a job. Now is not the time to tick off your employer.

Employees do not dictate when they come to work. The employer does.

If I had to sit around my office waiting and wondering if my guys were going to show up, there is no way in heck they would still be working here. And yes, they better answer MY phone if I call.

I spent too many years putting up with those games because I didnt want to "lose my good guys"

That was until I woke up and realized that who I thought were "good guys" were crap.

Lawnworks
04-20-2009, 10:00 PM
With unemployment the way it is now and only going to get worse they are dam lucky to have a job. Now is not the time to tick off your employer.

Employees do not dictate when they come to work. The employer does.

If I had to sit around my office waiting and wondering if my guys were going to show up, there is no way in heck they would still be working here. And yes, they better answer MY phone if I call.

I spent too many years putting up with those games because I didnt want to "lose my good guys"

That was until I woke up and realized that who I thought were "good guys" were crap.

Good advice Procut. Right on the money. We are feeding their families... they need to learn that providing for their family is their first priority.