PDA

View Full Version : depth for fish

NEUSWEDE
04-18-2009, 07:21 PM
I am working on a natural pond was dredged last year and made a bit bigger it is all marine clay so no liner. Was curious what would be the best depth to be able to have fish (ie: bass) that will survive? I am in maine so it will freeze over in the winter. It is currently 70'x 40' and about 4' deep

Also what should be added to create a habitat for fish?

Junior M
04-18-2009, 07:25 PM
I had a long post, but it didnt really give you an answer that wasnt assumed, I'd contact your DNR..

as far structure, natural is best imo, old trees, we've sunk old boats(Not natural but free:laugh:), christmas trees, tops of trees, stumps, tons of things in our pond. Its pretty cheap to do natural to as long as you've got some woods near by..

NEUSWEDE
04-19-2009, 12:37 AM
ohh there will be 2 stumps in there for the fish just want to know about the depth based upon the pond will freeze and not sure what they need in the winter dont want to have to re stock the pond every year.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
04-19-2009, 10:28 AM
Like the beginning of your name.:) I can't say for large earth ponds but koi will over winter in a 2' deep backyard pond with a vent hole in the ice.

Keith Neustaedter

RockSet N' Grade
04-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Depends on the frost depth in your area. We live in Utah, freeze to 36", so the standard rule of thumb for koi ponds in our area is 6' on the shallow to 9' on the deep. That depth provides enough of a thermoclime for the fish to survive. Bass are certainly hardier than koi.......

tadpole
04-28-2009, 03:42 PM
Just keep in mind that the average depth of the thermocline is 5 feet. any water below that will be low or no oxygen unless you install a aeration system.