PDA

View Full Version : shindawa VS Stihl we are thinking about converting to stihl. 85 series any thoughts

totallpm
03-26-2002, 12:31 AM
:blob4: Shindawa VS Stihl

Dennis Watson
03-26-2002, 12:49 AM
Can't give comparison, but well pleased with the the Stihl. We have two of them. Also like the Husquvarna 225.
DW

Bladewielder
03-26-2002, 12:53 AM
I run an FS80R trimmer and love it- plenty of power and simplicity. The Stihl trimmer heads have only two main pieces. Three if you count the spring but that is actually attached to the spool. The throttle trigger and safety (top) trigger are thick and wide- there is not any fragile piece sticking out. Also it vibrates little and has an open style guard that actually allows the operator to see what he's doing. I once used a friend's Shindaiwa trimmer for a day and couldn't get over its extreme vibration, closed-style guard, and puzzle-like trimmer head. The Stihl also looks a lot less gimmicky. :cool:

KirbysLawn
03-26-2002, 12:53 AM
Converting from what? I have both, like the Shindiawa much better.

toby
03-26-2002, 12:56 AM
I have 4 Sthil trimmers (76 & 80) & have had carb problems with all of them. All are hard starting. I will not be suckered into buying another & am phasing in Echo's.

totallpm
03-26-2002, 01:17 AM
I have been running the shindawa T-230 and T-270 and have have either clutch or shaft problems and am tired of high repairs.

I have used tanaka, robin, echo and toro trimmers in the past and the shindawa has been the best yet.

However....the Stihl 85 series of trimmers, stick edger and split boom all have interchangable parts. After pricing a few basic parts the price and availability were better. Also the lifetime warantee on ignition, clutch and shaft for commercial guys seems atractive.

This is a big investment to re equip 3 trailers and would like input if it is a waste of money.

Thanks in advance to everyones help through the years.

Mykster
03-26-2002, 01:26 AM
Haven't used Shindawa but I'm sure it'll get the job done. I have two FS 80's and I love them. No problems at all.

John Gamba
03-26-2002, 06:14 AM
All Stihl all The time:D
Johnny G.:cool: :cool:

keifer
03-26-2002, 06:39 AM
I have both brands and think both are great.In my area the stihl are a little cheaper.

Heavenly Green
03-26-2002, 07:43 AM
I own 1 Sthil FS85 whip 1 Sthil FC 75 stick 1 Sthil BG 65 hand blower 1 Sthil BR 320 1 Sthil BR 400 1 Sthil HS45 bush trimmers
Only 1 shindaiwa T-230 whip and my whole crew hates using it.
So with only a few hrs. on it Im selling it for a Stihl FS85r and getting the stick edger attatchment. I love all my Sthils and will never change. Everything I do have was purchased in spring 2000 so with 2 seasons under there belt we still havent replaced anything but air fillters.

Steve@ Heavenly Greenscapes LLC:angel:

65hoss
03-26-2002, 12:43 PM
I have a few 85's. One is 3 yrs old and still runs like new. I actually prefer it over my newer one. Here trimming time is usually very close to mowing times. So the main one has LOTS of hours and runs great.

johnhenry
03-26-2002, 02:14 PM
Stihl will be alot cheaper than shindaiwa. The Shindaiwa will be more lightweight and powerful. If its trimmers.If its blowers then I would either choose shindaiwa or redmax. Stihl use to be the ole standby. But times have change

wxmn6
03-26-2002, 02:20 PM
I have no reason why to not go with Stihl. Their trimmers are very powerful and really do a good job.

Scotlawncare
03-26-2002, 06:59 PM
I'm a small operation, and on the recomendation of 65Hoss, I bought a Stihl. I have only had one problem with mine in the past year and a half. I got one with the non adjustable carb and gummed the carb up bad. I replaced it with an adjustable one and have no probs. I have never used a shin product so i really don't have anything to compare it too. What i can say is the price and the lifetime warr on the shaft, clutches and ignition on the stihl is what sold me too. the fs85 has a solid shaft and the feel is stronger than a flex shaft. Try one and then try the fs80. there is a differance.

Scot

Shady Brook
03-26-2002, 07:17 PM
I have run Stihl Echo and Shindowa, but have the least experience with the Shindowa. The Sthils are very powerful, but from my experience, I am with Toby. I have had lots of carb trouble, and they are terrible to start after owning them very long. With the echo I feel like I sacrifice a bit of power, though they still do a great job, for a something that will last longer. After having trouble with the Stihls, I talked with a couple of the mechanics, and parts guy at the dealership, which sells both products, and they very strongly suggested the echo products for low maintenence, and longevity. I have had a couple issues with only a couple pieces in the echo line. After all that, I really do like the Shindowa whips the best, but that is with limited experience. I see the beauty of having all one line for interchangability of parts, so whatever you get, try to stick with it.

Jay

Jimbo
03-26-2002, 08:27 PM
I can't say anything bad about the Shindaiwa, but I can tell you some good things about my Stihl products. I only use Stihl because there are many local dealers, and I have never had any problems with Stihl products.

I do alot of heavy brush and weed cutting and I have been using the same FS80 trimmer for 3 years. The unit still runs fine, but I did buy a new FS200R so that I could get the larger gas tank. I also bought the FS85T (Quick disconnect shaft model).

If you are buying only one trimmer the FS85T would be my first choice. I already purchased the hedge trimmer, and edger attachment.

Go Stihl...great products, and always trying to improve.

Hope this helps. Again I have only used Stihl, but have had no problems at all.

trimmer
03-26-2002, 09:24 PM
I have never used Shindiawia before but have used Stihl and was happy with them. I never used them for more than a year because one got ruined in an accident, I lost one that fell of the rack, and the other one was stolen. Thay were all trimmers, FS85. I now have Husqvarna but am going to go back to Stihl. As far as carburator problems I had more problems with the Echos than I had with the Stihls.

I reccomend Stihl.

Mark
03-26-2002, 10:50 PM
Shindaiwa T-260s are my favorite, and echo 2601s would be #2. Marks Mowing Service

Mow&Snow
03-26-2002, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by toby
I have 4 Sthil trimmers (76 & 80) & have had carb problems with all of them. All are hard starting. I will not be suckered into buying another & am phasing in Echo's.

Don't do it man. These are homeowner machines. They cannot take the all day pounding that commercial work gives them. I used them for a season...Home Depot had a sale, and the big D needed to give me four replacements in one year.:(

GLS
03-26-2002, 10:56 PM
Jimbo or any member with the Stihl FS 85T:

I am about to purchase a new Stihl trimmer. I can get the FS 85R for $270, or the split-boom for $350 (I think?). My question is, how much are the attatchments? I want to buy an edger with it. Would it be wiser to stick with the 85R or go with the 85RT?

Thanks

Guardian
03-26-2002, 10:58 PM
I endorse Stihl. I own at least one of the following: FS85, FS85t, BR400, BG85, HS45 and a chainsaw (can't remember model off top o my head)

All SOLID machines. I would definetly purchase any one them again.

olderthandirt
03-26-2002, 11:13 PM
I got a Shindawa that I've used at my own place since 1986 yes thats 86 and never had any trouble with it. Its not used every day, but once a week its used to trim over 7 acres. Bought a stihl
3 yrs ago and no trouble with it yet either but it weighs more and does'nt have the power of the Shin. My opion , I like the Shins better.

Plowguy99
03-27-2002, 12:31 AM
I have a Stihl FS85 trimmer and FC70 edger. I bought both of them used a few years ago when I got into this business. The guy who owned them before me beat the crap out of them...threw them into the truck...but I got a good deal. I fixed 'em up little, put in new plugs, rebuilt the carbs and have not had any problems. As far as the carb problems, drain the gas tank and start the machine to run all of the fuel out before it is put away for the winter. That will take care of the gumming up. If it is already gummed and starts hard, you can buy the gaskets and a carb rebuild kit for less than 25 bucks and it is not real difficult to do. It will run like new after that.

Heavenly Green
03-27-2002, 06:17 AM
I just bought the FS 85rt with stick edger attatchment yesterday. The unit cost me 324.99 and the edger part cost me 89.99 I highly reccomend this unit. I will get much more use out of this unit than if I had bought just the solid stick edger and that cost 349.99. Soon I buy the Hedge trimmer attatchment for it.

Steve@Heavenly Greenscapes LLC

yardman1
03-27-2002, 07:24 PM
I would go with an echo srm 2601 it has the same power as the stihl but about 1lb or so lighter. i have four stihl weedeaters and three of them have had new carbs on them. i do not know about the shindiawa, have heard alot of good things about them, but never owned one. Anyway that is my opinion. goodluck with whatever you choose.

Kevin
Williams Lawn Management:blob2:

toby
03-27-2002, 07:41 PM
"I fixed 'em up (Sthil trimmers) a little, put in new plugs, rebuilt the carbs and have not had any problems."

"The Sthils are very powerful, but from my experience, I am with Toby. I have had lots of carb trouble, and they are terrible to start after owning them very long."

"I have only had one problem with mine in the past year and a half. I got one with the non adjustable carb and gummed the carb up bad. I replaced it with an adjustable one and have no probs."

"I have 4 Sthil trimmers (76 & 80) & have had carb problems with all of them. All are hard starting. "

These are 4 responses from a short thread relating carb problems with the Sthils. My experience with Sthil products has been positive (blowers, hedge trimmers) but the string trimmers have been very poor starters. My dealer, who sells Echo, Huskuarvana, Sthil, & Kaw tells me the Sthil trimmers are the most likely to come back for carb problems, hard starts than any other brand he carries.

f350
03-27-2002, 09:49 PM
i have all stihl equipment. fs85, fs85t and br340. i think there great except they are a real pain to start when it's cold.

Jimbo
05-16-2002, 11:19 PM
Organo,

I think thats right? I have not been on in awhile due to moving and mowing. But if you have not already purchased your trimmer I can answer your question.

I would buy the FS85RT (split boom). I find it really easy to carry one or two trimmers (back-up) and the sperate attachments.
As far as price I think I paid $179.00 for the power sythe, and $120.00 for the hedge trimmer (Both were straight to 90-degree) you can buy a fixed head unit for much less, but depending on your hieght it is good to buy the one that articulates.
You can also buy a pole saw, edger $79.00, a power broom, etc.

I don't think you can go wrong. And those of you who can't start your sthil trimmers either need to maintain them better and or learn to start a two stroke engine.

It's simple...same procedure hot or cold weather.

1. Prime rubber bulb (if there is one) by pushuing it in a few times
2. Turn on the on/off switch
3. Turn on choke fully
4. Pull cord until the engine fires (fires only once..dont keep pulling)
5. Switch the choke off or almost all the way off.
6. Pull again and the unit will start
7. Depending on the weather you may need to adjust the choke slightly by listening for the highest idle.
8. Give it a minute to warm up and shut the choke off completely.

If you stop trimming for more than a few minutes even in hot weather you will need to use choke...same proceedure except when you get to step 5 just switch the choke completely off (it wont need to warm up)

Thats how you do it works every time!

HazellLawnCare
05-16-2002, 11:57 PM
I have 8 stihl fs85's they have been good trimmers but this year I switched to red max's and they are awesome more power hands down!!!!!!!!!!!!

MikeLT1Z28
05-17-2002, 03:33 AM
all of my 2 cycle equipment are Stihl. FS-80, FC-85, BR420, HS-80 and a chain saw that i also don't know the model # of off hand.

i think there is more of a trick in how you start them than anything. prime 5 times, full choke, tries to fire then back down to 3/4 choke. make sure your throttle is locked in the start position. works every time for me. the BR420 is a little different. choke it, pull it till it briefly fires over then close the choke. 2 or 3 pulls and it's running. the only carb trouble i can think of is when trying to run an edge with the trimmer and it bogging somewhat.

never used a redmax, shin, kawi, honda or many others. i did talk to a guy using an echo multi attachment the other day and he had his edger attachment on. we cut a small lot (about 5000 sq ft) before he was done edging a similar sized lot. i let him use the fc-85 with the four sided blade and he was in love with it. poor echo sounded like it was in pain.

Hawkeye5
05-17-2002, 02:15 PM
I worked at the Nashville National Cemetery last summer. Our crew of 6 used two Skag mowers and 4 Stihl trimmers owned by the cemetery. We would trim 8 hours a day, 5 days a week around stones, buildings, walls, fences and one long steep bank that a mower could'nt do. We used year old Stihl 85 trimmers. The only problem we ever had was the spark arrester, just pull it out and throw it away because over time it will carbon up and the engine will bog down. I was so impressed with these trimmers that they are what I use now. Never any problem starting them, just prime, choke and pull. JD

Darryl G
05-17-2002, 09:17 PM
I recently bought a FS85T. I didn't like the way it started and how long it took to warm up. After starting it cold twice I brought it back and traded for the Shindaiwa 230 split boom. I don't have time to try and start a Stihl and get it warmed up. My dealer opened up the air hole on the carb of the Stihl and tried to get it to run better. Still no good. The service manager at the dealer said that "they (Stihl) changes their carbs like underwear" and they've been struggling with meeting emissions standards. Maybe I just got a bad unit, but I like the Shin just fine. I haven't tried any of the attachments except the trimmer yet.

gusbuster
05-17-2002, 09:43 PM
I've used shtil products and won't buy another. Strictly now redmax,shindiawa Echo--see a theme

John

Pelican
05-17-2002, 11:16 PM
I have two FS 80s, one five years old, the other 4, no problems with either one. I also have an FS 85 with the hedge trimmer that works well too. And one more, the hand held hedge trimmer with the same engine, can't recall the model #. All have served me well and I would purchase again.

20zeke
06-12-2007, 11:16 AM
I would buy a Stihl every time over a Shindawia. The Shindawia's easy spool head is a pain to take off. I own 4 Stihl trimmers and love them all especially my 110 4-mix. I'm planning on buying a 250 this summer.

mjcSRU
06-29-2008, 11:58 AM
I have a FS85 since 1995. My father bought it new when i was a wee squirt. We have only had to do minor maintenence to it. The magnetic piece did go out in it some years ago and I got frustrated n bought an echo. NEVER AGAIN. I got the Stihl fixed and life is good. If you run the HP Ultra oil, your life will be sooo much better. I also work for a landscape company in Pgh. My boss (master) uses shindawa across the board. we have issues with them because of the oil/ gas mix. the carbs clog thanks to the lawn boy oil we use.

topsites
06-29-2008, 04:20 PM
This thread is like 5 years old lolz

I would buy a Stihl every time over a Shindawia. The Shindawia's easy spool head is a pain to take off. I own 4 Stihl trimmers and love them all especially my 110 4-mix. I'm planning on buying a 250 this summer.

I have to admit once I got into the brush cutter series (which mine's a 100)
the regular string trimmers like the 85 sure feel underpowered.

The funny thing is when I first started the 85 was more like a little bit too much.