PDA

View Full Version : Trailer brakes on single axel trailer?

IdealLawnCare
04-19-2009, 01:14 AM
I am thinking of installing brakes on my 6 x 12 enclosed trailer with a 3500lb axel. I dont NEED them, it is a want just to be more safe on the road. Do any of you guys have brakes on you smaller single axel trailers and what do you think of the idea.

I can get a complete kit for about $180.00 (plus $33.00 shipping) on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250189577277&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

Tell me your thoughts

Gravel Rat
04-19-2009, 04:57 AM
Trailer brakes will help save you from wearing out the trucks brakes. Trailer brakes are cheaper than replacing pads and rotors on the pickup.

seabee1
04-19-2009, 10:41 AM
i have a single Axel 6x10 trailer it weighs about 900lb empty ,with my Dexter torque flex 3500 lb Axel i have about 2600 lb capacity .technically any thing hauling over 2000 lb need trailer brake's ,i got a big truck but it has saved me a couple times when the trailer got out of control on a slick street and i was able to just tap the trailer brake's and it straightened it out .it's not a bad safety item to have . :)

terrypiper
04-19-2009, 08:00 PM
I am thinking of installing brakes on my 6 x 12 enclosed trailer with a 3500lb axel. I dont NEED them, it is a want just to be more safe on the road. Do any of you guys have brakes on you smaller single axel trailers and what do you think of the idea.

I can get a complete kit for about $180.00 (plus $33.00 shipping) on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250189577277&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

Tell me your thoughts

smart idea! i dont know what your state laws are, but here in good ol kansas every axle on the ground has to have trailer brakes if it is a commercial use vehicle.

IdealLawnCare
04-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Trailer brakes will help save you from wearing out the trucks brakes. Trailer brakes are cheaper than replacing pads and rotors on the pickup.

I agree and believe in trailer brakes. I went ahead and ordered the set for my 6x12 because thinking back there has been a couple of times I wish I had them. They should be here on 4-22-09 then to find time to install them.

4.3mudder
04-20-2009, 07:17 PM
Now, mine is a bit bigger and a little more heavier duty, but mine is a 7x16 dual axle. I had with the trailer 4000 pounds altogether. I recently bought a brake controller for it, day and night difference The trailer had brakes, but never had them hooked up. A whole better having them hooked up

topsites
04-21-2009, 03:16 AM
It ain't worth it, the whole kit and kaboodle ends up costing about as much as the whole trailer did.

tomo
04-21-2009, 06:41 AM
hi
upto 1800 lbs no brakes

1800lbs to 4400lbs brakes on one axle

Over 4400lbs brakes all axles with break away system

Qver 8000lbs air brakes etc

1800-- 4400lbs surge, electric ,electric over hydraulic

over 4400lbs as above but surge brakes not allowed

tomo:waving:

ps recommend disc brakes as there is no adjustment to do as brakes are always 100% ready
Disc pad changes are way easy

IdealLawnCare
04-21-2009, 11:10 AM
It ain't worth it, the whole kit and kaboodle ends up costing about as much as the whole trailer did.

OK you lost me with your thinking.......... How does $180.00 plus $33.00 for shipping cost about as much as the trailer? I hope your eyes were playing trick on you and you misread something because around here 6x12 enclosed trailers cost more than $213.00:hammerhead:

PMASON718
04-22-2009, 01:46 PM
I just bought a trailer brand new from Haulmark and I had them install electric trailer brakes on it and I have a 6x12. I'm going to say its worth it.

topsites
04-23-2009, 12:06 AM
OK you lost me with your thinking.......... How does $180.00 plus $33.00 for shipping cost about as much as the trailer? I hope your eyes were playing trick on you and you misread something because around here 6x12 enclosed trailers cost more than $213.00:hammerhead:

No, I didn't see how complete the kit was.
Sorry, I figured it was the usual nonsense of controller and a few other parts where they 'conveniently' forget
to include the parts that do the actual work such as the drum and the cylinders, etc...
Then there's the bit of attaching that stuff to the trailer itself, but according to the ad even that's taken care of...

Interesting, even thou it might require welding but that's not so bad.

Let us know how it goes if you decide to do it, for that kind of money it could be worth the modification.

milsaps118
04-23-2009, 12:21 AM
Remember you're going to need a brake controller mounted inside the vehicle as well. Don't skimp and buy a cheap one, you'll hate the performance. I use a Prodigy made by Tekonsha and it has some great features: Self leveling, 3 boost control settings, digital display, diagnostic feature, lifetime warranty, and easy hook up.

nosparkplugs
04-23-2009, 12:26 AM
Trailer brakes are always good, but IMO I would rather have TWO axles ZERO BRAKES, than one axle with brakes. What you going to do with single axle brakes if you have a blow out. I have two axles minimal on ALL my trailers , and my trailer brakes have NEVER SAVED Me from getting in a accident, but having 4 tires does. Blowouts are very dangerous with a single axle trailer. Skip the trailer brakes GET A REAL TRAILER

PMASON718
04-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Trailer brakes are always good, but IMO I would rather have TWO axles ZERO BRAKES, than one axle with brakes. What you going to do with single axle brakes if you have a blow out. I have two axles minimal on ALL my trailers , and my trailer brakes have NEVER SAVED Me from getting in a accident, but having 4 tires does. Blowouts are very dangerous with a single axle trailer. Skip the trailer brakes GET A REAL TRAILER

I understand your logic but some people don't have a need for a tandem axle trailer. Take my case for instance. I bought my trailer to haul two quads. A tandem axle trailer would have been over kill for me, not only that but more money. My logic is single or tandem axle brakes are better especially on a tandem axle trailer. In most states its required. I'm not beefing with you, I just want you to understand that everybody has different needs.

nosparkplugs
04-23-2009, 08:49 PM
I sure wish the South was strict on DOT rules; because their is NO ONE enforcing any laws here. I would guess about 90% of trailers don't have brake's and are overloaded. I have noticed the eastern States are very strict. I use to live in a strict State, and when I moved to Tennessee, and questioned the non-enforcement or laws I was given the cold shoulder or mind your own business at the DOT office.

I understand your logic but some people don't have a need for a tandem axle trailer. Take my case for instance. I bought my trailer to haul two quads. A tandem axle trailer would have been over kill for me, not only that but more money. My logic is single or tandem axle brakes are better especially on a tandem axle trailer. In most states its required. I'm not beefing with you, I just want you to understand that everybody has different needs.

IdealLawnCare
04-23-2009, 10:59 PM
Remember you're going to need a brake controller mounted inside the vehicle as well. Don't skimp and buy a cheap one, you'll hate the performance. I use a Prodigy made by Tekonsha and it has some great features: Self leveling, 3 boost control settings, digital display, diagnostic feature, lifetime warranty, and easy hook up.

I already have a controller for my other trailers I have. It is a reese brand and Ive had very good luck with it.

IdealLawnCare
04-23-2009, 11:03 PM
Let us know how it goes if you decide to do it, for that kind of money it could be worth the modification.

I did order the kit and it came on 4/22. I am going to install it this weekend if I get some time. Its supposed to rain hear so I should be able to do it.

4.3mudder
04-23-2009, 11:18 PM
Go with a Tekonsha P3 controller. I have that one, best you can buy right now. 110 on ebay shipped. It is great.

IdealLawnCare
04-23-2009, 11:22 PM

I dont need a large trailer for my lawn service because I am only a part time guy so my 6x12 does fine for now. If you look at my sig you will notice I have a couple of "real trailers" with tandom axels. One has brakes and one does not have brakes. I dont have a shop or large property to keep all my equipment at so I keep it all in my garage at my house. I am able to keep 4 vehicles and 2 trailers in my garage. My enclosed fits in my 8 foot doors so when I get home from mowing I can just pull the truck and trailer right in. When I had my home built I had the garage made so I could drive my truck with the snowplow on it and hooked to my longest trailer which is 25 feet and fit it in the garage. I have a 50 foot deep garage. Back to the issue of brakes on a single axel trailer. Most of my driving with that trailer is not at real high speed, mostly 30-45 mph. The reason I want brakes on it is to cut down on the stopping distance if I need to stop quick. I have been pulling trailers for almost 25 years so I know that trailer brakes can cut down your stopping distance even on a light trailer.

Sorry guys for rambleing on but oh well.

4.3mudder
04-23-2009, 11:29 PM
With enclosed trailer you have more weight, plus, all the weight that will be in the trailer also. It would be a good idea, since you will always be coming to stops, it will increase life of your disk/drums and pads and shoes or disk/disk and pads, whatever you run on your truck.

Jay Walls
04-24-2009, 12:14 AM

In New York & New Jersey trailers with a GVWR of 3,000 lbs & up require brakes on the axles and all tandem axle trailers must have them. If you have brakes they must be operational even if you trailer is empty or it will be impounded.

I have had blowouts with one axle trailers at highway speed and it is not a big problem if you don't panic. Your truck will pull the trailer and it will run straight as long as you slowly bring it under control.

Tandem axles are needed primarily because of payload capacity. If you have a 2,000 lb capacity single axle trailer and 800 lbs of equipment on it the extra cost & weight of the tandem axle trailer is hard to justify. My crews have both tandem axle trailers and single axle based on what they are towing. We use Big Tex open trailers, Haulmark & Pace enclosed and Bri-Mar dump trailers. Homeowner trailers like Carry-on or Hercules are poorly built

IdealLawnCare
04-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Here are photos of putting brakes on the trailer.
1. What I got with the kit
2. The old hub.
3. Old hub removed, and you can see the mounting plate.
4. Back side brakes bolted on.
5. Brake mechanicals.

IdealLawnCare
04-24-2009, 10:03 PM
Here are some more.
1. Brake drum installed.
2. Dust cover installed.
3. Wire connections at the wheels.
4. all cleaned up.
5. And wheels back on.

IdealLawnCare
04-24-2009, 10:06 PM
Here is a photo of the break away switch and battery pack.

All I need to do is adjust the shoes, The brakes grab but they could grab just a little better.