PDA

View Full Version : Wiring a trailer to Chevrolet 1500

Les Blum
03-26-2002, 10:55 AM
1997 Chevy c/k1500 owner's manual refers to 7 wires for trailer hookup tucked under rear frame of truck. I could only find 5 wires. Yellow, brown, dark green, light green, and a heavy gauge white. I used a probe and the left directional signal works on yellow and the right directional signal works on a green. Nothing else seems to work. All lights on the truck work. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks. P.S. This site and all its contributors are fantastic.

bruces
03-26-2002, 11:31 AM
If you can't find the wiring, I would try going to an auto parts store and getting a wiring harness. They make them that just plug in to existing wiring on most trucks.

You unplug an existing connector, plug the connector for the harness in one end, the other end of the connector in the other end, and you are in business, very quick and no wiring. Should cost less than $30.

Worked great on my F150.

Les Blum
03-26-2002, 11:47 AM
Thanks Bruce. I guess I'm just pig headed. Chevy said the wires were there and should hook up to a trailer so it should work, right? I contacted Chevy customer service, and as usual, they were no help.

CT18fireman
03-26-2002, 04:30 PM
Some trucks may have the fuses pulled on circuits for the trailer. This would be true if no trailer connector came hooked up. They would not want hot wires ending in the harness under the truck.

Les Blum
03-26-2002, 04:30 PM
Just a follow-up to my original message. Chevy dealer said although manual says 7 wires, they also come in 5 wires. Re-tested wires and everything is working fine. There will be an unused wire from truck harness for truck back-up lights.

Les Blum
03-26-2002, 04:34 PM
Fireman: All harness wires on this truck were live. The ends were heavily wrapped to prevent contact.

CT18fireman
03-26-2002, 11:53 PM
hmmm

Maybe that is why my friends Chevy lost all his lights when fuses started popping last winter. Lots of snow and ice get up in that area.

GLS
03-28-2002, 01:50 AM
I assume you are using a 4 pin. If the truck had seven wires in the back, they would include the usual tail lights, ground, left turn, and right turn. The extra three are for electric brakes, auxilary, and backup.

By the way: "C" stands for 2x4 and "K" stands for 4x4. So if your truck is a 2x4 it is a C1500. If it's a 4x4 it is a K1500.:)