PDA

View Full Version : Just got my first truck yesterday.

lawncare010
04-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Ok i am 17 and this is my first truck. I ordered a hitch and wiring for it tonight and will be putting it on this week. I have taken the tool box off because it blocks the view when backing up and i also took off the bed liner because some dumb ass used lag screws to hold the box on and them left raised up holes so i am getting them fixed and i am saving up for a rhino liner.

http://www.saturnofnewark.com/VehicleDetails/338451293

hondarancher4435
04-19-2009, 09:01 PM
no offense but you could have gotten a whole lot more truck for that price. you can get a nice 3/4 ton for ten grand.

BlackDog3
04-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Good luck with it! I will agree with the above statement but hey you gotta start somewhere,

Chris

Mowingman
04-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Very nice truck. I don't know anything about the market up your way, but it looks a little pricey compared to truck prices down here.
Anyway, congratulations on the purchase. Sure is nicer than what I was driving at that age, (a 1962 Mercury Comet).

lawncare010
04-19-2009, 09:15 PM
my trailer is a aluma trailer and it is 500lbs and my jd is 1000lbs so 1500lbs total and sometimes my exmark is 300lbs so max is 1800lbs so 1500 lbs is not that much for my truck to pull and the truck onlt has 22,000 miles on it

KrayzKajun
04-19-2009, 09:25 PM
no offense but you could have gotten a whole lot more truck for that price. you can get a nice 3/4 ton for ten grand.

agreed!

its a nice truck though!

lawncare010
04-20-2009, 06:51 PM
hitch should be in on thursday

Dirt Digger2
04-20-2009, 09:20 PM
HAHA lincoln U....have done A LOT of work down that way....all the Megill houses down there...my buddies dad owns the DQ there in Jennersville

jk mow & more
04-20-2009, 09:49 PM
nice looking truck but the above comments are rite u could have found nice 3/4 ton or even a decent one ton for that much if ur bis grows try pulling a enclosed or dumper or even put a dump insert on it not happen good truck to comute or give estimates not to work out of to pretty

topsites
04-21-2009, 01:54 AM
I am sorry but I have to disagree with all of you guys... :p
Even thou it's not a 3/4 ton...

First you want that tool box, you will need it!
To stick in ALL the tools you will need to make repairs in the field!
Crap will break down, you will hate life having to drive home or to the dealer every dang time, especially over dumb stuff.
Also things such as loppers, shears, tow rope, jumper cables, belts, blades, trimmer string, quarts of oil, a chainsaw, some air filter,
fuses, tail light bulbs, a hedge trimmer, antifreeze or water, brake and power steering fluid, a hammer, a crowbar, dude...

On mine, I almost can't fit anything else in my truck box, yes it's THAT full!
Because I got tow chains, starting fluid, and fix-a-flat in there in addition to the above :p

I don't care too much about the bedliner but why remove it?
Anyhow...

Kelly Blue Book lists this truck's 'Private Party' value as follows:
Condition Excellent $13,020 /// Good $12,495
And that truck is somewhere between those two, at least Good and maybe even Excellent.

Now I could pull the dealer Blue Book value however Kelly says that Dealer value is where negotiation begins...
Thus I believe 'Private Party' value is the closest we'll get to actual street.

Now even thou it's not my truck of choice I'd say it's a pretty good deal.
Keep that tool box!

Petr51488
04-21-2009, 11:29 AM
Yes its true that you should have all that stuff with you, but if he puts all that stuff in his truck, there won't be any room! I keep all that stuff in my trailer and just a few little things in the truck. I need my 8ft of bedspace.

lawncare010
04-21-2009, 12:12 PM
True but the thing with the tool box that is on there now when I look out the back window the box is in the way and I can't see at all so what I am going to do is save up for a rhino liner need to know the price for one of them and then I am going to buy a low profile tool box for it. I am only pulling 1500 lbs so it is no problem for my truck will try to get pictures of it up today hopefully but first I have to go and get a price to fix the holes were the tool box was because the guy put it in wrong

Dirt Digger2
04-21-2009, 02:12 PM
you dont need to get the holes fixed...just buy yourself some black or aluminum bed rail caps...tractor supply probably has them for that particular truck

lawncare010
04-21-2009, 03:47 PM
ok i just went and got the holes looked at and the guy did them for free and they look good

4.3mudder
04-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Hmm, I hate those wheels on the truck, sorry to say. But, since it is a work truck then I guess it is ok. UH, I had mine Rhino lined, 2 months later it has no gloss, it is a dull flat black because I guess of the sun? Near the top of the bed all around the lip it is a nice shiney black, but the rest it flat, looks like it is starting to turn purple too.

lawncare010
04-21-2009, 04:32 PM
how much was it for the liner

lawncare010
04-21-2009, 04:51 PM
here are the pictures

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35883966@N05/

IdealLawnCare
04-21-2009, 04:57 PM
I say if he can work out of that truck and pull the small trailer and still make his profit then the guys spending all the money on big trucks and trailers are wrong. I have a 2500HD and I bet he will get better mpg pulling his trailer than I do with just the truck. I dont need a big truck either for my lawn service but I tow a 20' car trailer too so I need the bigger truck for that. He can upgrade down the road just like most of us did be-it trucks, trailers or equipment, we all upgraded something over the years. A guy down the street from me operated out of a Ford Explorer and a small trailer for years and now he is very successful in his outdoor services business and has the large trucks and trailers.

93Chevy
04-21-2009, 05:05 PM
I think you'd be better with a used 3/4 ton, but that's nice truck for what it is. Like they said above, as long as you turn a profit, and as long as YOU like, it doesn't matter what we think.

Oh, and learn how to back up with your mirrors. You can't look over your shoulder backing up in a dump truck. MIRRORS MIRRORS MIRRORS and with enough practice, you'll be able to put your truck ANYWHERE!

Good luck to ya!

lawncare010
04-21-2009, 05:08 PM
yea i have already learned to use them when i used my dads tahoe i had to use them but i like this truck i was going to get a s10 but liked this better and again I AM ONLY PULING 1500 POUNDS my hitch and wiring should be in either tomorrow or thursday

93Chevy
04-21-2009, 05:13 PM
I AM ONLY PULING 1500 POUNDS

Sorry, I didn't mean what I said to be a rip on you.

lawncare010
04-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean what I said to be a rip on you.

No its ok i just want people to know that it is only 1500lbs that i am puling my truck should have no problem pulling that and it only has 22,000 miles on it and was the right price and i wanted to get good to ok gas milage my dad is getting like 15 and my truck gets like 20 so thats why i dont want a full size truck till later on

poolboy
04-21-2009, 05:23 PM
yea i have already learned to use them when i used my dads tahoe i had to use them but i like this truck i was going to get a s10 but liked this better and again I AM ONLY PULING 1500 POUNDS my hitch and wiring should be in either tomorrow or thursday

You will be fine towing a smaller load, but, look into adding a transmission cooler, if there isn't one installed already. Also, since you're under 36K, look into BG fluids to add an additional warranty.

http://www.bgfindashop.com/locator/index.php

D8dozerboy
04-21-2009, 08:19 PM
Don't wast your $$$ on BG