PDA

View Full Version : NE Louisiana azalea project

LAbb
04-19-2009, 10:02 PM
I'm looking for some help for designing an azalea project in NELA. Not sure if the best route is a landscape architect, landscape professional, or do it myself. Below are some pics I have of the 11 acre site on which I plan to build my home. I would like to have large azaleas ranging from 6'-10' in height in varying colors(white, red, purple, mixed, etc.).I already know the soil the acidic enough. Will azaleas grow well in this shade under these oaks? What are the best species for this much shade? I'm looking at planting thousands of azaleas over 3-5 years so I want the hardiest species which will sprawl and not require pruning. Thanks in advance for any help.

LAbb
04-19-2009, 10:08 PM
BTW I would like the final product to look something similar to this...

CALandscapes
04-19-2009, 11:15 PM
My .02:

I strongly suggest that you use an architect for a multitude of reasons...

1. To give you an overall plan of what you're trying to create over the next several years
2. To give you ideas and options on different varieties as well as their placement in the landscape....

I could go on and on, but I'll spare both my fingers from typing it and your eyes from reading it.

The picture that you offered shows a beautiful layout; the person who designed it was most definitely a very capable designer. If you're not, then go the route that you know will work -- hire a landscape architect.

White Gardens
04-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Good Advice CA.

Though the picture is amazing, the only thing I don't like about just doing strait Azaleas, is that you've spent the time and money to design a garden with only one season of color.

The rest of the year, it's just going to be a blob of green.

As for varieties, just go search out local nurseries. There are going to be some common varieties, but you might be able to find a few unique ones to mix in.

Also, some companies on-line have a good selection of bare-root stock, and that could save money in the end.

LAbb
04-20-2009, 06:15 PM
"The rest of the year, it's just going to be a blob of green."

This may sound strange but that's kind of what I want. The green will give it a natural appearing privacy hedge for 11 months out of the year but for one month you get an enchanted forest :)

Thank you both for your advice.

CALandscapes
04-20-2009, 06:31 PM
Keep in mind that there are several varieties of azalea that do bloom more than once per year... We use a lot of 'Fashion' azaleas, that bloom both in the spring and the fall, as well as intermittently throughout the summer. Also noteworthy would be the 'Encore' azaleas, which come in an assortment of different colors & varieties (although they are costlier).

White Gardens
04-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Keep in mind that there are several varieties of azalea that do bloom more than once per year... We use a lot of 'Fashion' azaleas, that bloom both in the spring and the fall, as well as intermittently throughout the summer. Also noteworthy would be the 'Encore' azaleas, which come in an assortment of different colors & varieties (although they are costlier).

Man, it would be awesome to live down south and have shrubs bloom more than once.

White Gardens
04-20-2009, 07:00 PM
"The rest of the year, it's just going to be a blob of green."

This may sound strange but that's kind of what I want. The green will give it a natural appearing privacy hedge for 11 months out of the year but for one month you get an enchanted forest :)

Thank you both for your advice.

That sounds like a great idea, and I'm an advocate using different layers of shades of green, but I feel it would be nice to put a few other things in to give a small point or two of color during different times of the year, but keep your mass of azaleas for the dramatic affect in the spring.

It appears you have a large area to play with, you could do more than one theme through there.

Just my 2 cents.

LAbb
04-20-2009, 09:58 PM
I do have some other plans. My fall display will be 40-50 red maple, yellow poplar, green ash, and ginkos spread out over the 11 acres.

I want to keep as many native species as possible so I may leave out the ginkos. I'm also debating whether or not to plant some flowering vines such as wisteria(sp?) but I'm a little worried about that since vines can sometimes take over an area and make it look sloppy.

I also plan to have a 3 acre lawn area with either centipede, st. augustine, or zoysia. Right now I'm leaning centipede. I think it will be able to grow even though there is a lot of shade. My parents have a 4 acre lawn with cenitpede and it's low maintenence but attractive.

There is a small "gully" that splits the property which is filled with wild ferns. I want to clean out all the trash around the ferns and find a way to help them flourish. The 11 acres already has a lot of wild azaleas so I'll leave them where they are and help them stay as healthy as possible.

The first 2 pics below are of the ferns in the bottom. The third is of a wild azalea and the 4th is where I plan to put my home and lawn.

jkingrph
04-21-2009, 09:50 AM
Nice looking site, I am originally from W. Monroe myself, and still have a house there.

One question, is the soil more red or black. If red you should use some soil amendments such as mixing in some fine pine bark mulch & peat moss so the roots can have a better chance to grow. will probalby have better successs planting in lower areas. Knowing how the rains have been there over the years consider irrigation. You will most likely have to do a lot of watering the first couple of years after each planting.

I just planted some of the Encore azelaes here in E Texas . This variety was developed in Louisiana and said to need 6-8 hours of sun daily for best blooming.

LAbb
04-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Thanks jkingrph. The soil is called Kirvin-Ruston and Ruston-Lucy association which are both good for azaleas.

http://soils.usda.gov/survey/online_surveys/louisiana/ouachita/maps/gsm.pdf

http://soils.usda.gov/survey/online_surveys/louisiana/ouachita/Ouachita.pdf

LAbb
04-21-2009, 03:11 PM
CA,

How much are the fashion azaleas on average? I think the encore will be out of my price range. I also want large plants around 6' - 10'. Do encores or fashions get that large?

CALandscapes
04-21-2009, 07:57 PM
CA,

How much are the fashion azaleas on average? I think the encore will be out of my price range. I also want large plants around 6' - 10'. Do encores or fashions get that large?

Fashions are a smaller variety, maxing out at about 3-4'. I do believe that there are some different Encores that grow in the 6' range, but I'm not 100% sure.

You should expect to pay about $12-15 (retail) for most azalea varieties in three gallon containers, and in the $25 range for three gallon Encores.

jkingrph
04-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks jkingrph. The soil is called Kirvin-Ruston and Ruston-Lucy association which are both good for azaleas.

http://soils.usda.gov/survey/online_surveys/louisiana/ouachita/maps/gsm.pdf

http://soils.usda.gov/survey/online_surveys/louisiana/ouachita/Ouachita.pdf

No problem, I grew up in riverbend area of W.Monroe back in 50's. Black loam there and anything would grow. In 1963 my parents moved out on Wellerman Rd, on a higher area, mostly red clay and no luck with azelas there although some grow well across the road where it goes into a dry creek bottom. Most folks do not realize how many soil types we have in Ouachita Parish.

I just planted some Encore's here and they say some colors top out just under 6'. I am not that knowledgable about them but to get 10' you may need some of the older varieties of Gumbo azelaes such as the Pride of Mobile, a purple like color and there is a white in the series.

LAbb
04-21-2009, 09:58 PM
"Fashions are a smaller variety, maxing out at about 3-4'. I do believe that there are some different Encores that grow in the 6' range, but I'm not 100% sure.

You should expect to pay about $12-15 (retail) for most azalea varieties in three gallon containers, and in the $25 range for three gallon Encores. "

Thanks CA. I think I'll probably plant the encores close to the house and then spread the older varieties throughout the woods. I'm planning on planting hundreds of these things over several so I want to keep the cost as low as possible.

LAbb
04-21-2009, 10:00 PM
[QUOTE=jkingrph;2946048]No problem, I grew up in riverbend area of W.Monroe back in 50's. Black loam there and anything would grow. In 1963 my parents moved out on Wellerman Rd, on a higher area, mostly red clay and no luck with azelas there although some grow well across the road where it goes into a dry creek bottom. Most folks do not realize how many soil types we have in Ouachita Parish.

It's not too late to come back home :) BTW this land is off of Strozier road if you remember where that is located.

jkingrph
04-22-2009, 08:44 PM
[QUOTE=jkingrph;2946048]No problem, I grew up in riverbend area of W.Monroe back in 50's. Black loam there and anything would grow. In 1963 my parents moved out on Wellerman Rd, on a higher area, mostly red clay and no luck with azelas there although some grow well across the road where it goes into a dry creek bottom. Most folks do not realize how many soil types we have in Ouachita Parish.

It's not too late to come back home :) BTW this land is off of Strozier road if you remember where that is located.

I know where Strozier Rd is, used to go to Strozier orchard and a guy who lives out there built my first pc computer. It's a little late for me to move back there, got a house paid for here, my only son is an attorney in Jackson, Ms. and a sister in Port Gibson, Ms. I finished pharmacy school inj 68 and joined the USAF to dodge the draft, got commissioned and stayed about 10 years. We like to go back and visit, meet the son or frieds at the house there, but the town has gotten too big to suit us nowdays.

LAbb
04-22-2009, 09:51 PM
[QUOTE=LAbb;2946301]

but the town has gotten too big to suit us nowdays.

:) I grew up in Downsville so I know what you mean. My wife grew up in the city so Strozier road was our compromise

hencutter
04-24-2009, 07:29 PM
Drive down 165 to Forest Hill for your Azelas. Ask questions,and make sure that you are dealing with some of the old timers there. They have many years experience and the prices will be worth the drive. PM me for a few names of growers that been around for a long time. My parents grew up there and know many of the older growers in the area.

grassrangers
04-24-2009, 08:03 PM
i am from the baton rouge area...

for your lawn it its mostly shaded do not plant centipede- it likes full sun, but is low maint
for shaded areas your best bet is st. aug or zoysia. When taken care of and cut weekly st aug is way prettier than centipede

for your azaleas go to forrest hill to get everything average about $4-5 for a 3gal. if you go to the right place fashions and encore are both good choices....also if you research on them look up indian azaleas varieties

LAbb
04-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Drive down 165 to Forest Hill for your Azelas. Ask questions,and make sure that you are dealing with some of the old timers there. They have many years experience and the prices will be worth the drive. PM me for a few names of growers that been around for a long time. My parents grew up there and know many of the older growers in the area.

Thanks for the tip. Do they deliver or is it only pick up. Do you know the name of the nursery? I think there are several in Forest Hill and Glenmora area.

LAbb
04-24-2009, 09:17 PM
i am from the baton rouge area...

for your lawn it its mostly shaded do not plant centipede- it likes full sun, but is low maint
for shaded areas your best bet is st. aug or zoysia. When taken care of and cut weekly st aug is way prettier than centipede

for your azaleas go to forrest hill to get everything average about $4-5 for a 3gal. if you go to the right place fashions and encore are both good choices....also if you research on them look up indian azaleas varieties

I'm starting to lean toward zoysia. I've heard the el toro species is better than the emerald. Have you worked much with the grass? If so which do you prefer?
l
Do you know the name of the place in Forest Hill? I think the Indian species of azalea is going to be the way to go for what I want. $4-$5 is the cheepest I've seen so far. That would make planting a thousand or so much easier. With those prices I may even hire someone to help.

hencutter
04-24-2009, 09:21 PM
Try George Johnson Nursery. Been around over 50 years.And,they grow several varieties of azalea's. I'm sure they deliver ,usually you might have to wait until they have a truck going your direction.That is,unless your order is a trailer load by it's self. Another place there to try is Dub Guillory Nursery.

LAbb
04-24-2009, 09:34 PM
Try George Johnson Nursery. Been around over 50 years.And,they grow several varieties of azalea's. I'm sure they deliver ,usually you might have to wait until they have a truck going your direction.That is,unless your order is a trailer load by it's self. Another place there to try is Dub Guillory Nursery.

Thanks. I'll give them a call when it's time to plant.

jkingrph
04-25-2009, 05:36 PM
I just picked up some 1 gal Encores at Hughes nursery just south of Tyler, Tx, 9.85 ea.

LAbb
04-26-2009, 08:23 PM
I just picked up some 1 gal Encores at Hughes nursery just south of Tyler, Tx, 9.85 ea.

Do you remember how much the 3 gallon ones were?

jkingrph
05-03-2009, 06:48 PM
Do you remember how much the 3 gallon ones were?

If I remember correctly, $18.95. Best price I have seen.