PDA

View Full Version : How many cut the neighbors.

toby
03-26-2002, 12:36 PM
Just landed 6 lawns on my street that were being cut by an LCO who's retired. Neighbor on both sides & 4 across the street. Gave them a sweet deal due to proximity & because there are 6 together.
Do you cut them yourselves or put them on the route? Have a crew that runs by my street on Tuesdays but promised them Thurs. or Fri. cuts, when crews are out of area so may end up cutting them Fri. morn. or late afternoon myself.

Redmowers
03-26-2002, 12:42 PM
I do one across the street from me ,gave him a good deal just have the run the mower across the road.I usually do it in the eve lawn is usually wet until late afternoon any way.would like more just as close too !:cool:

jbt
03-26-2002, 12:50 PM
I have one across the street and two next to each other next door. It's nice having them close but they have fenced in back yards, so it does't help that much.

Scraper
03-26-2002, 01:20 PM
I feel that it's best not to do business with neighbors for if things go bad...you still have to live next to them. I'll help them out from time to time, but no cash...maybe a six-pack or something. ;)

Krimick
03-26-2002, 01:22 PM
I do three across the street and one on each side of me. I love getting places in clumps like that, no travel time and nobody's ever standing around the trailor. They just move on to the next house........

I wish I had groups of 3 or 4 at every stop :)

thelawnguy
03-26-2002, 01:27 PM
Less time you spend loading and unloading the more time you can spend filling your pockets with green...

Harvestman
03-26-2002, 01:28 PM
I do 4 in my neighbors. I'v never had a problem with them, works out for all of us.

mdb landscaping
03-26-2002, 01:37 PM
i mow 5 lawns on my street. They really appreciate the work i do, and we all get along really well. I feel bad sometimes haveing to charge them what i do, but i try and keep it reasonable because we are neighbors.

Ray&Christine
03-26-2002, 02:18 PM
I agree with Scraper on this one. When things go bad you still have to see these people. Some of these neighbours think you are on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week just because you cut thier lawn and plow thier snow. A few times I would be away for the weekend, I wouldn't even get out of my truck and the neighbour would be there trying to get me to do something for them. I have been approched by a few people on the street but I tell them sorry but I'm to busy.

Ray

BGRANT
03-26-2002, 03:04 PM
I mow 6 yards in my neighborhood.Never had a problem.If you don't do it your competiton will!
Brian.:blob4:

dlandscaping
03-26-2002, 03:43 PM
i took over almost every lco job on my block except for one that has a business deal with a lco that does the large company her family owns. I might get her this year since they tend to skip her sometimes. I do a total of 9 in a row on one side and 4 on the other. the work is easy and i dont charge a whole bunch since i am new and sometimes get caught doing their lawn at 730 at night (it happens). I can't get through all of them usually in one day so i do half and half. They are all elderly but this year, i have their relatives as clients as well. Its an easy way to get your foot in the door.

LAWNS AND MOWER
03-26-2002, 03:48 PM
People living beside me are renters and let their yard get out of hand. Ask me if I would mow it and told them I would do it for a case of beer. Normally I would've priced this yard @ $35, but seeing that they where nieghbors, I thought I would cut them a break. Mowed the yard in Sept. and still haven't seen my beer damm it!!!! Left a bill with the roommate in Nov. and talked to the person responsible for paying me in Dec. Said he was waiting on a student loan. Getting ready to bill the landlord for $50. Nieghbor on the otherside of me is a sweetheart. One Sat. I put a thick London Broil on the grill, then mowed her yard, flipped the steak, then did the weedeating. Steak turned out perfect.

LAWNS AND MOWER

awm
03-26-2002, 06:45 PM
i did mow a neighbor.got tired of hearing, well the other people
arnt your neighbor. so u gonna mow them first huh.
found a reason to get out of that deal.

Russ
03-26-2002, 06:59 PM
I don't work for neighbors, friends, or relatives for money. I like all my friends, most of my neighbors, and a couple of my relatives, and I want to keep it that way.

Evan528
03-26-2002, 07:10 PM
I have 30 accounts just in the neighborhood I live in. This stems back to when I was younger (had no license) so all of my accounts had to be within close distance so I could ride the Z master to there house;)

Mykster
03-26-2002, 08:31 PM
Have had a few people in my development wanting me to do there lawn. Told him no, that I wouldn't work in my development for certain reasons similar to the ones already posted.

RB
03-26-2002, 08:55 PM
I posted once that I can literally hit a golf ball from my yard to every one of my customers. I really can't do that but all my accounts are less than 1/4 mi. away.

My customers are so close that most of them will drive by, stop and hand delvier my check.

I mow one customer beside me and on the other side I mow another. Across the street I mow three. On my street of about 40 homes I mow 10 of them. They all look very nice when they are mowed and edged. They are also all elderly and very quiet people; I guess I'm fortunate. There are drawbacks, but running a professional biz will help.

Now working for family -- never! If I do any work I do it for free.

Ron

lawnkid
03-26-2002, 10:10 PM
Yeah every single lawn I mow is either my neighbor nextdoor or down the street cause I can't drive. I just ride my mower to and from their houses.

KirbysLawn
03-26-2002, 10:43 PM
I agree with Scraper. I do one neighbor and only after they begged, now they are always late paying and owe me all the time. Have not decided how to handle it yet but I sure wish I had not started.

GLS
03-26-2002, 11:39 PM
I mow my elderly neighbors lawn (right next door, just continue the stripes down past the property line) and a couple of others in the block. When people go on vacation I often mow their lawns. I also have done landscaping for many of them and snowplowing too.

Plowguy99
03-27-2002, 01:54 AM
I mow the elderly neighbors that live one house down from mine, but I used to help my dad mow it when I could barely see over the handle on the push mower. My dad always did it as a favor and when I started this business, I ended up doing it. I get paid like $12. I am not sure why $12 because I never asked for any money. I guess they felt bad because they knew I was trying to run a business and anyone else would charge a least $30. It is kind of a pain but I guess I am just a nice guy.
I also did my girlfriend's mom's house one year. Brownies and a six pack. I wish she would have never moved into a condo!

TJLC
03-27-2002, 06:57 AM
I was mowing my next door neighbor. It didn't work out. I do, on occasion, mow for a neighbor if they ask.

Tyner Lawn Service
03-27-2002, 10:50 AM
Most of my neighbors do their own lawn Once in a while they will use me for aerating but that's it. Sometimes it's better to stay away from them. I did one in my old neighborhood and he thought I was at his beck and call all the time.

mklawnman
03-27-2002, 05:55 PM
You gotta start somewhere in this business and my neighbors is were I started. Right now im 18 doing 5 neighbors in the subdivision, along with other accounts not in my neighborhood, The neighbors lawns are my cheepest because i dont have to use a trailer, just drive the machines around the neighborhood. But it can be a pain when one of your neighbors doesnt pay on time and you have to be more strick with them to get your money.
Eventually will be moving out of the neighborhood because its not my house im in, its my parents so wont be as bad, but doing the neighbors can have its pros and also its cons, but i have gotten more accounts from talking to some of my neighbors to do their friends places too. Word of mouth does wonders;)
Matt (lawnman)

summitgroundskeeping
03-27-2002, 08:34 PM
I do the whole neighborhood behind me and a few others at the end of my neighborhood, but I would do my next door neighbors' lawns for free if they just asked. B/c I'm just a nice guy.

bob
03-27-2002, 09:55 PM
Read this; http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=4074&highlight=cutting

swn
03-27-2002, 10:59 PM
I mow8 in my neighberhood. It has worked out fine so far. I mow my next door for free, but it is my parents house and they deserve that and a whole lot more.