PDA

View Full Version : biding on job today

GreenGrassman
03-26-2002, 01:26 PM
Going to make a bid on a job 4 acres of grass in a townhouse complex will have to hall grass away can someone help with what I should bid :) :)

rodfather
03-26-2002, 03:25 PM
First of all, that is a lot of grass to haul away. Secondly, you will have to give us some details about the job if you want some help...your question is too vague.

Off the top of my head, I would probably want in the range of 3-4 hundred dollars plus dumping fees.

Premo Services
03-26-2002, 06:11 PM
I would have to agree with rodfather. Thats a heck of a lot of clippings to haul away!! Also think of the extra time it would take to bag 4 acres.:eek: Does your equiptment have mulching capabilities? Even if it didn`t mulch, you could possibaly double cut the thick areas. That would take less time. I used to think that bagging was the answer for thick tall grass, but someone posted about going over the cut area in a opposite direction. It spreads the clippings out so I never have to bag the stinky wet grass. More info like equiptment you are using, etc would be needed for the help with bid.

SJR Lawncare
03-26-2002, 09:56 PM
Thats Crazy, IMHO you cannot bag 4 acres, its just not cost effective. It would take at least 2x the amount of time opposed to recycling the clippings. Not to mention at least 4 pick-up loads of grass to haul away. Re-think this & bid on mulching the grass, after all its more beneficial for the grass anyway. Good luck

tim cooper
03-26-2002, 10:22 PM
Maybe bid high on first cut.. and haul off ... Maybe grass is so high it will clump.. After first initial cut and grass is hauled off u wont have to do that anymore..If it is cut every week/ten days?

GreenGrassman
03-26-2002, 10:25 PM
Hi Guys thanks for your help earlier today on this bid. I will give you some more info on it now. It is 4 acres with about 3/4 of an acre taken up by buildings. 5 small flower gardens to maintain 2 of these have bark mulch. Also 5 or 6-6ft hedges to trim likley once a year.this is pretty much straight grass cutting, and lots of edges to trim, 50% of the time I could likley mulch but I don't want that to influence my bid. I figure that it will take 8 Hours for 3 people to do this job. Two on 42inch ride on's, and one weed eating, and using a push mower for the smaller areas, and weeding, trimming. Please feel free to give any advice to help me land this Pupppy thanks Brian :D

mxrdrvr3
03-26-2002, 10:27 PM
use post reply to your old thread. you dont need to start a new tread everytime.

1MajorTom
03-26-2002, 10:30 PM
mxrdrv is correct. No need to start a new thread every time you want to add something.
So what I did was merge this thread together.
Keeping all replies in one thread helps the members give better advice. :)

Mow&Snow
03-26-2002, 11:45 PM
this is alot of grass to haul away. I wouldn't even want to do it. but if the bid spec says it needs to be done.....well i would bid it high like i think everyone else will cause noone wants to truck that much grass.

$500.00?? maybe 600. you will be there all day remember.

WatkinsLawn
03-27-2002, 01:11 AM
3 guys at 8 hours = 24 man hours x $45.00 per man hour = $1080.00. Or 24 hours x $30.00 per man hour = $720.00.
Are you sure its going to take that long? I don't bag very often so I don't know.
You say there is only about 3 acres of mowable turf. 3 acres with 3 guys at 8 hours is only 5445 sq. ft. per hour per person. Even if you mow all 4 acres that is still only 7260 sq. ft per person per hour.
I would re-think the amount of time you think it is going to take you.
I have a 3 acre job that I had to bag one time. Without bagging it only takes 3.75 man hours to mow, trim and blow. When I had to bag it that time it took 8 man hours +/-. I usually charge $215.00 for that account. When I had to bag I charged $430.00 (double).