PDA

View Full Version : trucks being damaged

neighborguy
04-20-2009, 01:39 PM
I work with a company that is relatively small. We keep having problems with employees damaging trucks/trailers and no one fessing up. Each crew is not assigned the same truck every day so there is minimal accountability. When something is discovered it is a wild goose chase as to what happened and who did it. What do you guys do to keep track of these things? How can you hold people accountable when they won't grow up and admit what they have done?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Merlin300
04-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Have one manager or foreman in charge of equipment checks. At the end of the day, everyday, do an inspection. Make one person responsible for any given piece of equipment daily. At the end of the day if damage was found by the manager or foreman, that one person has to answer for it. The person responsible will keep the others in check if it is his/her butt on the line.

grandview (2006)
04-20-2009, 02:54 PM
Why are they not driving the same truck everyday?

scagtiger
04-20-2009, 05:38 PM
sounds like you need more responsible employees

neighborguy
04-20-2009, 05:49 PM
trucks are switched based on needs. If a crew needs bulk materials then they get one of the dump trucks, if they only need hand tools and such they can take one of the pick ups. I like the idea of the one person take check everything every day. I wish the all new employees thing was an option. Myself excluded of course.

scagtiger
04-20-2009, 05:54 PM
the only things my guys ever break are hand tools and a few dents in the dump trailer but nothin ever to bad. i guess ive been lucky

Toy2
04-20-2009, 07:48 PM
You have daily checklists, the driver fills it out each morning and ends it each night.

Mileage start/end
Walk around, notes body, lights, horn.
Engine-check oil/fluids etc....

Makes a note if problem is found, signs offs, end of problem.

This way you have a paper trail.

ZTR_Diesel
04-20-2009, 08:10 PM
You have daily checklists, the driver fills it out each morning and ends it each night.

Mileage start/end
Walk around, notes body, lights, horn.
Engine-check oil/fluids etc....

Makes a note if problem is found, signs offs, end of problem.

This way you have a paper trail.

You need to do this - and you need to NOT be a nice guy about it. Let them know, firmly, but respectfully, that this will be taking place and is manditory, indefinate, and will be photo enforced. What do I mean - take photos of all the truck now, and then when/if damage occurs, take photos of that as well.

There's a large local landscape crew near me locally that NEVER takes care of thier trucks, mowers, etc. It really affects thier image, and I would never use thier services since thier employees quite obviously do not care.

topsites
04-21-2009, 03:09 AM
Oh well no, you see I buy mine already damaged, the cosmetic issues get me some awesome discounts,
find one that runs good and gtg.... Why buy beautiful when I can get a functional 3/4 ton XLT for like $2500?

Although I do have to admit I also wonder how they ever get that way.

ZTR_Diesel
04-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Oh well no, you see I buy mine already damaged, the cosmetic issues get me some awesome discounts,
find one that runs good and gtg.... Why buy beautiful when I can get a functional 3/4 ton XLT for like $2500?

Although I do have to admit I also wonder how they ever get that way.

Not a bad way to go! I have to admit, you can keep one of those (especially an old I-6 engine) going much longer than most people think... :weightlifter:

AVLC
04-23-2009, 02:39 PM
older trucks are the way to go most of these landscapers are just making their payments while my income is all profit. Just don't go to old or you'll be buying a money pit. All my things are old but rarely let me down beside reqular maintence only have had 1 tranny rebuid in the last few yrs. And on the damaging equipment maybe you just have bad drivers did u check their driving record and ask about trailer experience.

Gravel Rat
04-24-2009, 07:36 PM
I would be having a meeting and say the vehicals are getting damaged and seeing as nobody is fessing up you get 250 dollars deducted off your paychecks. Damage keeps happening another 250 dollars. Somebody will fess up or they will quit.

topsites
04-26-2009, 01:01 AM
Yes, it is a TOOL.

EVM
04-30-2009, 11:19 PM
I would be having a meeting and say the vehicals are getting damaged and seeing as nobody is fessing up you get 250 dollars deducted off your paychecks. Damage keeps happening another 250 dollars. Somebody will fess up or they will quit.

You can't do that in New Jersey, although you should be able to. Sounds like a bunch of bums for employees. I would fire them all because it is obvious they don't give a ***.

Toy2
05-01-2009, 10:23 AM
You can't do that in New Jersey, although you should be able to. Sounds like a bunch of bums for employees. I would fire them all because it is obvious they don't give a ***.

True, you can't done this, someone will find a lawyer and sue you..........

Do a pre-trip/post trip inspection on each vehicle, pictures etc......let them see you doing this, say a Monday morning.......they sign off and drive away, that night you come back and see if they did a post trip.....look for damage.........you will find your guy/guys........and then can them.......

You now can prove they are messing the trucks.......try it, it could save you...

Scagmower48
05-10-2009, 01:21 AM
2 words "STAY SOLO"