PDA

View Full Version : Advice-Clients equipment on 4.5A estate prop

mark2
03-26-2002, 02:59 PM
One of my regular customers is selling his home and has bought a new home with 4.5 acres of really nice lawn and landscape.

With the new home he has all the equipment needed to maintain the grounds in a nice shop. 60" Z, Tractor, gator, aerator, stihl weed eaters, etc. Nice stuff!

This property is the best residential property in the county for it's size. It would be in the top 2% best properties, comm. or res.

I work solo. This property could take up to 30% of my time. I will probably have to drop some of my smaller, less profitable accounts.

I currently charge him monthly. I'm trying to deside how to price his new property. Hourly or monthly, how to factor in using his equipment, etc.

He will provide materials, gas, parts, etc.
I will provide the labor to maintain the property and the equipment. He will probably ask me to do some simple home maintenance from time to time (gutters, high windows, etc.)

rodfather
03-26-2002, 03:15 PM
I think hourly is the only way you can be fair to yourself and your customer. What you charge is your own business...but I wouldn't do it too cheap.

McNeal Lawn
03-26-2002, 04:38 PM
With the size of that property, what will happen in the event of rain with your remaing clients? How many hours do you calculate to service this property? Charge by the hour, and a little extra to recover some the lost revenue of the properties you are eliminating.

mark2
03-26-2002, 04:58 PM
Here's my proposed schedule with the new property.

Three days(big days) mowing and maintenance for regular accounts.

No work on Sunday.

Part time job 8hrs one day a week.

That leaves 2 days for the new acount. I can work in the evening after the part time but would rather use that time for fishing or cutting my own grass.

Several days of rain could really hurt. I do work in the rain sometimes. I guess I'd have to work daylight to dark.

I can maintain the new account on 16 hrs or less per week in the summer and save mulching etc. for the winter.

Lawn-Scapes
03-26-2002, 06:19 PM
It'll take 2 days to maintain this property? With a 60" Z.. you should be able to cut and trim in about 5 hours.. What else will you be doing?

I would charge by the hour..

kris
03-26-2002, 08:24 PM
2 days to maintain it??? you did say 4.5 not 45 acres right?

awm
03-26-2002, 10:13 PM
my guess is he will be expected to do all maintenance and repair work along with lawn care. 2 days would not be to much time, for that.

cantoo
03-26-2002, 10:21 PM
Old posts here say they can cut 4.25 acres in one hour using a 50" Dixie @ 10 mph and 80% rate.
Another post says 2 60" Dixies can cut 7.5 acres in less than one hour, that's 3.75 acres per hour. You should be in and out in just over one hour on the cutting alone, other work by the hour.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=227&highlight=production+times

mark2
03-26-2002, 11:01 PM
I know I can cut & weedeat this property in about 3hrs. That's stripping it and doing a nice job. There's alot of obsticles, mulch rings, beds, rock walls, etc. The lawn is broken up into 4 sections by driveways and landscape. All on rolling hills here in North Georgia.

I will also have to maintain all landscape and equipment.

This is one of those places where if you see a cigarett butt you get of the mower and pick it up. You know what I mean.

There's also 21 more acres of property that will need some care, bushhog mostly.

Anyhow If I take on this property I'M maxed out!