PDA

View Full Version : What happens if/when you hit a burried cable TV line?

procut
04-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Just curious, as it has not happened to me (yet). I know that they are often only burried a few inches deep, thus you can cut through one with just a shovel or bed edger. I know if its not marked, then your off the hook, (usually) but lets say it is marked but burried just under the sod and you cut through it. Who do you call? Who makes the repair and most importantly, who pays the bill? Thanks!

scagtiger
04-20-2009, 05:35 PM
use call before you dig and you wont have to worry about it

White Gardens
04-20-2009, 05:59 PM
As far as I've always understood it, you need to have it marked and it clears you and the homeowner of any liability or cost to repair it, unless gross negligence is involved.

If you don't have it marked, then you are stuck with the bill to repair it.

I've hit a couple of marked DSL lines that were no more than 1 inch in the ground. Never had to pay to get it fixed.

You would think the the utility companies would make their sub contractors who bury the lines, bury them deeper. Seems like a waste of money to send people out to repair them.

I always call the company assigned to the specific utility if there is a break. If it's a gas line, I call the fire department. :laugh:

shovelracer
04-20-2009, 06:16 PM
The question is what happens when you hit a TV line. The answer is nothing since voltage is not enough to be a concern. However once you hit it the finger pointing starts. I think the others explained this well enough. Years ago I hit a TV cable that they said was 12" or more under. I hit it at 5". They repaired it no charge, but the client missed his favorite show and was not happy.

Ive seen copper propane lines run in the top 2" of a lawn for the whole distance. One was actually clipped by a lawn mower at one point and although not leaking its integrity was seriously compromised. It was probably like that for years. Imagine my surprise when I discovered this. Always call before you dig.

keepcuttin
04-20-2009, 07:02 PM
Cable goes out................................

procut
04-21-2009, 02:22 AM
Alright, I guess that pretty much answers it. owever, what would you guys say "average" depth for a cable TV line?

CLARK LAWN
04-21-2009, 08:40 AM
the call before you dig doesnt usually mark cable tv wire. ive cut a few while edging beds. called the cable company and the came out and fixed, they ran a new wire and only put it about and inch or two deep. when i asked why they dont go deeper they told me its cheaper to replace the wire than to spend the time to bury it deep enough. last year i hit one while aerating a lawn it couldnt have been more than half an inch deep.

JB1
04-21-2009, 08:55 AM
[QUOTE=procut;2944234]Alright, I guess that pretty much answers it. owever, what would you guys say "average" depth for a cable TV line?[/QUOTE

around here two inches or less, they will lay it on to of ground and lay sod over it. I used to get excited about hitting them , not anymore.

VO Landscape Design
04-22-2009, 12:59 AM
Cable isn't so bad. Don't hit a fiber optic line, major pain to have fixed.
VO

Focal Point Landscapes
04-22-2009, 04:36 AM
I carry repair parts - its an easy fix and minimizes inconvenience to the client.

Jb3NH
05-04-2009, 01:24 AM
I just repaired a cable line about a week ago. Easy fix, used a crimper tool and wrapped the connection up tight. No biggie.

Stonewall
05-05-2009, 12:18 AM
Where's the best place to get a repair kit?

Jb3NH
05-05-2009, 12:48 AM
I had a good luck with homedepot. Bring a chunk of the cable. There are a couple different grades/diameters. They have the most common diameter fittings and sell cable line by the foot.

riverwalklandscaping
05-13-2009, 12:45 AM
bed shaped a customers new cable line last weekend, was no more than an inch deep..

mdvaden
05-13-2009, 02:18 AM
I think if you have it marked, you are clear to dig a certain depth. Light cable like TV line is supposed to be deeper than a few inches.

Not sure what depth it's supposed to be installed at really.

An interesting lesson a few years back - not at my cost.

I had the lines marked, and a subcontractor used the marks too. They cut a phone or cable line and got stuck with the repair because they are supposed to call too.

So if I sub irrigation, and say, also sub contracting - here - each one of them is supposed to call in their own line check even if we are working on the same day.

Seems weird - but there must be reasons.

ryde307
05-25-2009, 10:13 PM
New to site so hello
anyways i have hit a few here and there. They are normally no more than 3 inches deep. we carry repair stuff to fix it when it happens.
Good info in the post about about both contractors needing to have a "ticket" for the locates. I have had and seen that problem also about using someone elses markings