PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye 2 stroke-hello 4-stroke

TMK
04-20-2009, 08:09 PM
After months of 2 stroke vs 4 stroke (honda's) I am getting rid of these 2's.
Anyone thinking of using 4 strokes I say give them a try. They are great machines. I have been using the Honda's & am totally sold. They do everything needed with less hassles. Less noise, smoke, good fuel efficiency, start everytime & no hassles with mixing fuel/oil. Thanks Honda for making great machines.

OK all you hard core 2's_have at it.

TheC-Master
04-20-2009, 08:14 PM
I've been using them for awhile, everything is 4 cycle, I've heard some people complain about them of course, but they haven't given me problems.

wallyturcotte
04-20-2009, 09:15 PM
been using them for 7 years ..only problems ...... worn out clutch and 2 heads (heads wore b/c of excessive pavement use... best trimmers i have ever used. just bought a new one and noticed that it was made in taiwan.... it was 100 dollars cheaper. the other 2 are made in japan.... whats up with that ? they should make some attachments for them so i can get rid of the stihl......

TMK
04-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Not sure about the Taiwan mfg. All mine are from Japan_hmmm.

quiet
04-20-2009, 11:07 PM
I've also used the Hondas for 7 years now. In addition to the string trimmer, I have the Honda edger.

Excellent machines. Reliable, quiet, fuel effcient. But they are heavy.

wallyturcotte
04-20-2009, 11:13 PM
i agree on the heavy part.... but after a few weeks i got used to it...

Two Seasons
04-21-2009, 12:10 AM
What happens when you sit them down while running and they roll over and turn upside down?

Cajun Country Lawn Care
04-21-2009, 12:24 AM
I love my honda trimmer.:usflag:

wallyturcotte
04-21-2009, 08:27 AM
What happens when you sit them down while running and they roll over and turn upside down?

they run fine upside down..... they have a small oil pump in them.... never had a problem with that.

kaferhaus
04-21-2009, 09:23 AM
I'm seeing more and more of them here over the past couple of years. We have a Honda brush cutter that we really like, but after trying a trimmer we're going to stay with the Stihl 4-mix hand helds. the trimmer was fine but they're a little pricey and for sure heavy.

Honda is supposedly working on shaving some weight off of them, if they manage to do that and get the prices down 5% or so we might try some of them.

The brush cutter we have is a brute with fantastic torque but you have to wear a harness or it'll wear you out quickly. With the harness you can run it all day.

Richard Martin
04-21-2009, 02:15 PM
If they knock 3 pounds off of them I'll try them again. I demo'd one a while back and it was way too heavy.

TMK
04-21-2009, 03:03 PM

Mine have metal base plates on the bottoms_they sit better than the Stihl's. The Honda motors (in my experiences) run better when at angles or upside down.

lilweeds
04-21-2009, 10:44 PM
I have had two of them, both Hondas, both were ok. My opinion is they are great homeowner models. Power is great, but the engines don't hold up to commercial work. I repaired or replaced the carbs on both units several times. The tinyest spec of dirt clogs the jet and they run like crap. Never had those issue with the two strokes. I'm back to two strokes and now only using Tanaka.

ed2hess
04-21-2009, 11:15 PM
i agree on the heavy part.... but after a few weeks i got used to it...

So how many hours a day do you trim? And do you edge with it? It seems just way behind the possible weight that you could expect a person to use all day.

wallyturcotte
04-21-2009, 11:28 PM
So how many hours a day do you trim? And do you edge with it? It seems just way behind the possible weight that you could expect a person to use all day.

a few of the schools that we do take around 1.5 hours so maybe 3-4 hours a day a few times a week...... none of the schools get edged but some of the res property's do.... my co-worker and i are both in the 200lbs range so maybe thats why we dont mind them i could see if you were 130lbs soaking wet after using them it would be tiresome .....

TMK
04-22-2009, 12:32 AM
I have 34 lakes that I go around with the honda line trimmer_use the shoulder strap. Edge with the honda stick edger. I mostly do the edging- about 2-3hrs_once a week during May-Sept. I have a helper that goes around the lakes with me_2-3 times a week during May-Sept_about 2hrs once a week. I really do not see the difference in the weights_ I am 6' 180lbs. I enjoy not mixing fuel/oil, no smell/smoke & they are quieter than the stihls. The Stihls were good machines, just prefer the Hondas.

TMK
04-22-2009, 12:33 AM
should have said we go around the lakes 2-3 times a month_duh

Tanaka
04-22-2009, 12:48 PM
How about goodbye 2 and 4 stroke - hello commercial grade cordless?

-MW

lilweeds
04-22-2009, 01:17 PM
How about goodbye 2 and 4 stroke - hello commercial grade cordless?

-MW
Is there such a thing?