PDA

View Full Version : Stander vs Ztr

scagdude
04-20-2009, 07:50 PM
Possibly could be adding a stander or a ztr here pretty soon. What are the advantages of each. I would be getting the Scag Tiger Cat 48" cut with the 23 hp for $6799 or the wright stander 48" with the 19 hp for $7509. What are the advantages of each? Thanks

scagdude
04-23-2009, 08:36 AM
nobody can help? please. i need some advice and by the way i am doing mid size residentials and also want to start doing some commercial accounts.

kaferhaus
04-23-2009, 08:51 AM
The only "stander" that I would ever consider owning would be a Walker. We don't own any standers or walk behinds other than the 21 inchers....

Why walk or stand when you can ride? you'll be more productive as you'll be less tired.

IHusky
04-23-2009, 09:36 AM
The advantage is that you will be able to sit down while you mow. Not a big deal where its cool, but down here it gets real hot down here. The stander might be just a tad bit quicker and able to get into tighter places. I personally like to sit than stand. The stander will hold a hill better than the ztr. It also takes up less footprint on your trailer. I don't think you can go wrong either way. Pretty much comes down to whether you want to sit or stand. Don't rule out a 61" deck if you're thinking about getting into the bigger commercial properties, I found that its way more productive on the larger properites and I could use it on my residentals, the only limiting factor was gates. Good luck.

scagdude
04-24-2009, 08:12 AM
thanks so much for the advice and the stander taking up less trailer space would be key. since when does walker make a stander?

Weedas_Lawn_Care
04-24-2009, 03:14 PM
go to the standers web sites they will tell you why to get a stander over a ztr but i personaly like to sit on a ztr thats why i got mine but for hills a standers the way to go and for getting in and out of places and under trees a standers the way to go. iv never used a stander but also just like IHusky said a stander takes up much less space but you will be standing all day. Chech out their web sites and demo one see how you like it hope this helps

CustomKare
04-24-2009, 10:19 PM
Alot of factors determines your need. Age, physical shape etc. Personally I have all standers. I also have a WRIGHT Sentar which is a stander with a seat. I yanked the seat off for a couple of reasons. First of all I feel I am more alert and more productive standing. I can identify hazards, jump off easily to retrieve trash or move a trampoline, toys etc. They are so nimble especially during fall cleanups you can easily have a stander do most of the work.

As mentioned trailer space. I get a 36" and a 52" with other equipment in a 10x6 trailer.
Maybe a little less weight than a ZTR. Again I only have Standers so this is my 2 cents.

Highly reccomend the WRIGHTS.

lilweeds
04-25-2009, 08:44 PM
I purchased a Grandstand this year after sitting on ZTR's, well it seems like forever. I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO SITTING! It is so much better on my back to stand. The mower holds a hill like it's flat ground. And with Toro's Turbo Force Deck, the cut is great. Now go over to the Toro forum and see my negitives, but I still wouldn't trade this thing for a ZTR EVER!

mowerbrad
04-25-2009, 09:31 PM
Standers take up less room on a trailer, can get into tighter spots than a ztr, fit onto smaller properties, less chance of rutting due to the lighter weight, and can hold hills much better.

doubleedge
04-25-2009, 09:42 PM
I wouldn't get a stander that big if you are going to be doing alot of bagging, because you will lose alot of time dumping the smaller bag. Also, mowers without an impeller aren't nearly as good for spring cleanups (leaves are stuck in grass) or for dethatching.

If you don't bag much, I would recommend the stander.

turfbuilder
04-25-2009, 11:33 PM
Ztr's and Standers each have their advantages depending on the application that's why I use both. :weightlifter: