PDA

View Full Version : Dump Trailer...home made?

Travis E
04-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Has anyone ever built their own dump trailer from scratch? We built the trailer shown below a couple years back with great luck. I tend to not be able to find good enough quality for the price we can make our own. If anyone has and has pictures please post.

AdvancedLawns
04-20-2009, 10:07 PM
my uncle and i are in the process of designing and gathering material...will post pics as soon as the build has begun

doubleedge
04-21-2009, 12:27 AM
From that picture, it looks like you did a great job on your trailer.

G. Ramey
04-30-2009, 08:12 PM
I bought a set of plans for a dump trailer from northern tool a few years ago. They are good plans. they are for a very heavy trailer and I don't have room in my little shop to build it. Maybe later. You should look at northern tools traiiler plans.

Travis E
04-30-2009, 09:01 PM
I plan to just purchase one now. I don't have the time to build one for awhile now and I am doing an agreement with an equipment dealer so I feel liable to purchase from him.

swanny
05-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Here are a few pics of a trailer I made about three years ago: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v85/barndwellers_md/

I've had dumpers since '87 and this was the first that I made. Was quoted around 14k to 15k to have a company out of Iowa to make it for me. Have right at $7k in it...almost everything came from Ebay. Took an aluminum boat frame (new) and hacked it up to receive a used aluminum 17.5' rollback bed. Shortened the axles 6" so the tires fit under the bed. Has hydrualic brakes on three axles. Dump angle is approx. 44 degrees.

Best riding trailer I've had...loaded or unloaded. Don't have to be as picky when loading it as I would a dual axle trailer since the three axles help distribute the weight. Doesn't wear tires badly either. Weighs in at 3k lbs empty...can handle and dump 5 tons all day long. I'll take a deck-over style any day of the week, though they haul higher than others. Would have preferred a deck that didn't have the 6" sides, but when buying used I didn't have much of a choice.

I added a third cylinder that pushes the deck straight up for 18" before the two longer cylinders take over...cycle time is 45 seconds.