PDA

View Full Version : operating ZTR's with one hand

americanlawn
04-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Is anybody here able to safely steer & turn a ZTR unit with just one hand? Hills/slopes too? If so, why do manufacturers put two handles (one for each hand) on ZTR mowers?

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but I have my reasons. Check out http://www.z-spray.com.

Seems users of the above product say they can safely & easilly manuuever it with just one hand. We tried for 2 1/2 hours, but we still could not do it.

rscvp, thanks

terryswafford
04-20-2009, 09:13 PM
yes, I do it every time i use my country clipper. only because it only has one joy stick. I love it .If I need to hold back a branch or take a drink of ice tea it is great.

WalkerMike98
04-20-2009, 09:30 PM
All the time. Actually it is relaxing. I guess I am too used to running a Walker.

Puddle of Oil
04-20-2009, 09:50 PM
its pretty easy until you have to do a 360, then i need two hands!

ALC-GregH
04-20-2009, 10:11 PM
I can cut with one hand.

Junior M
04-20-2009, 10:14 PM
its pretty easy until you have to do a 360, then i need two hands!
Yeah, same here..

I can do it till there is alot to mow around or alot of turns, then I go to 2 hands..

Fleur De Lawn
04-20-2009, 10:26 PM
Yes i can when I am holding a beer in one hand that is the only logical way to operate a ztr.

Lawnut101
04-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Yes I can...... But safely???? If an animal ran in front of me or something, I would probably end up going in a direction that I wasn't planning on going. So I use 2 hands a good majority of the time.

HulkXD
04-20-2009, 10:40 PM
I usually use both hands, but as has been said before, when holding a branch, or taking a swig of WATER, I'll use one hand. As long as the turns aren't too sharp, it's ok. If an animal runs out in front of you, PULL BACK AND STOP.

doubleedge
04-20-2009, 11:15 PM
1 hand?!? Bah! I can push the levers forward, and because they don't return to neutral on my Kubota, I can pull out the latest issue of Turf and read while I mow!

But seriously, I only use 1 hand when I am in a wide open area or when I am getting a drink. I only use 0 hands when I am fending off branches, but I go really slowly.

KCfireman
04-20-2009, 11:17 PM
I do it a lot, and drink a huge bottle of water using my other hand.

Runner
04-20-2009, 11:27 PM
Actually, we talked about this a few years ago, and here is one conclusion that everyone agreed on. To get straight lines and stripes over rough ground, one hand is the only way to go. Remember Eric, who to this day, no one still has touched his quality of stripes? You guessed it...one hand.

topsites
04-20-2009, 11:55 PM
The Toro T-bar really is just one control bar, so I'm sure it could be done for hours on end but I wouldn't call it safe.

But I can trim with one hand, either left or right, and I do that a lot, mostly so I have a free hand to cover my mouth!
And before the peanut gallery chimes in, y'all just keep on trimming lol

puppypaws
04-21-2009, 12:15 AM
Is anybody here able to safely steer & turn a ZTR unit with just one hand? Hills/slopes too? If so, why do manufacturers put two handles (one for each hand) on ZTR mowers?

I know this sounds like a dumb question, but I have my reasons. Check out http://www.z-spray.com.

Seems users of the above product say they can safely & easilly manuuever it with just one hand. We tried for 2 1/2 hours, but we still could not do it.

rscvp, thanks

I know a fellow that owns and operates a lawn maintenance business and he runs his zero turn mowers with one hand all the time. His other arm is cut off half-way between his elbow and shoulder, he can do anything anyone in the business can with this one arm. The only difference I really see is his strength in that one arm is twice that of a two armed person. You should watch him run a string trimmer, he really impresses me with the fortitude he possesses. He does more with one arm than the majority of American people can do with two good arms.

corey4671
04-21-2009, 12:51 AM
do it all the time while I am texting with the other hand.

mowerknower
04-21-2009, 12:58 AM
I rigged up foot controls for my z so I go no hands all the time, well only on my yard since I dont mow commercially (just a tech here). That way I have 1 hand for a smoke and one for a silver bullet. The trick is you gotta drink real fast cause my bumpy lawn makes the beer go flat real quick

yardatwork
04-21-2009, 07:04 AM
I can do the one hand driving and can turn it with one hand...Toro Z400 You don't have to move the handles too far to get the hydrolics to react. I'll normally drive with one hand if I'm in a hurry and eating lunch while mowing.

ALC-GregH
04-21-2009, 08:34 AM
Actually, we talked about this a few years ago, and here is one conclusion that everyone agreed on. To get straight lines and stripes over rough ground, one hand is the only way to go. Remember Eric, who to this day, no one still has touched his quality of stripes? You guessed it...one hand.

thanks Joe. I need to remember that. It seems natural to use both hands so one handed doesn't seem to last long even though it's fairly easy to operate with one hand.

flatlander42
04-21-2009, 09:57 AM
One hand with the ol navigator!
I've tried one handed trimming, but didnt work out for me.

IdealLawnCare
04-21-2009, 10:15 AM
Ive only been on a ZTR a short time and Ive can do it no problem. YOU CAN DO IT!

HulkXD
04-21-2009, 11:22 AM
I don't know about in other states, but in KY, people get DUI's all the time on lawnmowers. You guys might want to watch that.