PDA

View Full Version : Are pavers installed the same as Rock?

4 seasons lawn&land
04-20-2009, 10:56 PM
I like to use stone dust for my rock work and I got a paver job and am wondering if everything is done the same way with these as rock. You can still use stone dust for the base, right? compacted in a couple 2 inch layers on top of landscape fabric and place the pavers. The only thing that's different is having to set the plastic edging stuff?

mrusk
04-20-2009, 11:51 PM
no no and uh no do a google search for icpi and take a class

4 seasons lawn&land
04-21-2009, 12:22 AM
well tell me what to use for the base and how its set...

4 seasons lawn&land
04-21-2009, 12:34 AM
crazy... Ive read multiple times now that you use stone dust. All these sites a wrong? http://www.paversearch.com/sand-base-materials.htm ...and you said no to compacting the layers? Gee that's different. Then another no to using the seperation fabric? Ya, okay. Thank's for your help bud.

Bru75
04-21-2009, 12:53 AM
6 or more inches of compacted (in lifts) crusher run, 21-A, or whatever they call it there over seperation fabric for your base. 3/4" of concrete sand over your base to set the pavers. Compact the whole thing after you lay the pavers.

4 seasons lawn&land
04-21-2009, 08:28 AM
thanks, so run a compactor over top of the pavers afterward?

How course is 21 A crusher run? Like quater inch pieces or one inch pieces? I'll be able to check it out at one of the yards that I get the stuff at, just curious what it looks like.

Bru75
04-21-2009, 06:16 PM
Everything from 3/4" down to dust. Packs like crazy but still allows water to drain.
If your pavers are textured on top, be sure to use something to protect the surface. I have a mat that fits my compactor, but in a pinch you can use cardboard, old carpet, etc. Anything to keep from scratching or breaking all of your hard work.

PatriotLandscape
04-21-2009, 07:12 PM
how did you GET a paver job if you dont know how to install or bid them? are you Johnny Sqaurefoot?

punt66
04-21-2009, 07:21 PM
thanks, so run a compactor over top of the pavers afterward?

How course is 21 A crusher run? Like quater inch pieces or one inch pieces? I'll be able to check it out at one of the yards that I get the stuff at, just curious what it looks like.

In our area we call it 3/4 process.

DVS Hardscaper
04-21-2009, 07:29 PM
no no and uh no do a google search for icpi and take a class

Either that, or....log on to the forum (you all know which forum, the one where Embilla recently sent out an e-mail bad mouthing Sea Gee Land, the domain registrant / moderator that he banned!) and par-take in the all so educational Ruskturials :)

I request that LawnSite have the world renowned Rusktorials!

wurkn with amish
04-21-2009, 08:40 PM
your hopeless DVS :)

hvphotog
04-21-2009, 10:14 PM
we have been doing 4 to 6" of Item 4 which is same as state road base, compacted and set 1" of concrete sand down with no compaction until blocks are set... have never had a patio settle and or ends drop off in 5 years.. some patios such as mine i drive my F-350 across loaded with firewood a few times a year. most importantly make sure you virgin ground is hard and not soft or watery, do not set your item or base material on top soil.

Your finished job will only be as good as the base it is sitting on... we use this method for driveways and high traffice walkway areas as well and never had one drop.. a driveway we do 6 to 8 of base though with drainage along the sides.

hope this helps

4 seasons lawn&land
04-21-2009, 10:40 PM
thanks. once you get down 8 inches you usually wouldn't be in top soil but what would you do if it was a large filled area of top soil? Like a pool that was back filled with top.