PDA

View Full Version : Ever Start A Job You Can't Finish?

Crazy Cutter
04-21-2009, 12:16 AM
I wan't to ask the members this evening when they stop mowing for the evening because they don't have enough light to finish the job? I was driving by an entrance to a nice neighborhood this evening on my way to dinner and noticed one of the local two man teams mowing with their Walker and the other guy was trimming. On my way back I noticed they only got about 80% percent done with the mowing and trimming. So my question is do you guys start jobs in the evening when you know you can't get it all done and will have to come back? I ask because I thought it was kinda amature.

HulkXD
04-21-2009, 12:23 AM
There are way too many factors to put into play to give a definite answer in all cases.

Is the weather supposed to turn bad tomorrow afternoon? If so, let's get it started this evening, and finish tomorrow morning so we can fit other props in.

Are you losing an employee tomorrow because his wife is having surgery?

Maybe the owner has a few estimates to give tomorrow afternoon, and he needs to get the subdiv. done by then.

There are way, way too many reasons to start a prop and finish tomorrow to say those guys were amateurs.

justanotherlawnguy
04-21-2009, 01:28 AM
i have started a job and then realized it was grossly underbid and going to be a monster PITA. mowed it, blowed it, then never came back. I didn't even charge her for that mow.

Here is the story:

her house sat next to a retention pond, and literally from the left side of her house the yard sloped about 8 feet to the pond. Horrible construction layout. too tight to get the 36 back there, and too much to trim, and i wasnt about to get a 22 just for this job. It was an empty lot next door. The right side of the property had silt fence up, which left about a 2 foot wide path of grass that would have to be trimmed. Horrible.

Funny thing was, before I got the call to do the estimate me and my wife drove threw this neighborhood and I made a comment like "man, i feel sorry for the guys that get stuck with that yard!"

As luck would have it I got a call several weeks later asking for an estimate. I did not realize that was the house until i showed up. I got out walked around and was about to dip when the homeowner walked up. I tend to be a sucker when I hear their sob story, so I took it........not for long though.

topsites
04-21-2009, 02:24 AM
If it's a job that takes more than 2-3 hours I might split it, but I have never
started on a small job like mowing (granted I don't have no 4-hour lots lol) when
I knew it would get dark before I finished.

That's not to say I've never finished REAL close to darkness :p

And yeah I've also had to walk away from monster pita underbid deals.

topsites
04-21-2009, 02:26 AM
If it's a job that takes more than 2-3 hours I might split it, but I have never
started on a small job like mowing (granted I don't have no 4-hour lots lol) when
I knew it would get dark before I finished.

Well, maybe once, might have had to swing past the next day to blow it off or some bs, but not as a rule.
And that's not to say I've never finished REAL close to darkness :p

i have started a job and then realized it was grossly underbid and going to be a monster PITA. mowed it, blowed it, then never came back. I didn't even charge her for that mow.

Yeah I've also had to walk away from monster pita underbid deals.
And it hurts to not charge anything, but that really is the best way, I think.

ALC-GregH
04-21-2009, 09:42 AM
TS, dude, it sounds like your quoting yourself. WTF?

topsites
04-21-2009, 11:33 AM
TS, dude, it sounds like your quoting yourself. WTF?

I have no clue how that happened :confused:
Probably I was suffering from a mild case of the D.A.

ALC-GregH
04-21-2009, 11:38 AM
LOL :D hahahaha

J&R Landscaping
04-21-2009, 12:43 PM
I try not to start a mowing job unless I know I'll be able to finish it without running out of light. I don't mind working a tad past dusk to finish up and have been forced to do that on a couple of occasions. If its weather related, I'll wait it out or come back when conditions permit.