PDA

View Full Version : Dealer pushes Stihl too much?

MikeKle
04-21-2009, 07:43 AM
I am looking for a new trimmer and when I have bought in the past, I asked about other brands of trimmer that my dealer also sells, and they always seem to push stihl over anything else. I was interested in a Kawasaki trimmer and this dealer sells them but he kept saying nobody buys those and we dont even have any in stock and we would have to order it, but over here we have plenty of these stihls! I know stihl makes them push them this hard but they really should do better when asked about other brands. I bought a couple FS80s over the years and every one of them when used for just a short time would get very hot on top of the plastic engine guards, they told me this was normal, that was news to me!

ALC-GregH
04-21-2009, 07:48 AM
If you want a different product, make him order it and if he says they can't get them for awhile, tell him you'll start shopping elsewhere if he can't satisfy your needs.

blake2727
04-21-2009, 07:51 AM
My dealer used to be a scag and stihl dealer. He switched over to grasshopper and shindaiwa and said he is much happier now because he likes the products he is selling. (Not knocking scag just talking about trimmers). He said that he liked the shindaiwa product and he would not sell them and stihl because of exactly what your talking about with the conflict of iterest. I'm not saying stihl is a bad product I just think it is hard for a dealer to sell more than one commercial brand without leaning toward one or the other. It sounds like your dealer should drop the other brands and just sell stihl.

VirginiaLawnCare
04-21-2009, 08:12 AM
I would push stihl to if i was a dealer its some of the best stuff out there. But like what was said tell him you will shop elsewhere and he will give you what you want.

kaferhaus
04-21-2009, 08:14 AM
Most dealers here carry more than one brand of handhelds and more than one brand of ZTRs, some carry 3-4 brands and one carries 5 brands of handhelds and 5 brands of ZTRs and 4 brands of WBs....

He'll sell you anything you want, but he too prefers the Stihl handhelds and when I asked him why several years ago he said "customer satisfaction, I make the same margins on all of them, it doesn't effect my bottom line one way or the other but we get far fewer complaints about Stihl than any other product we sell."

We've switch from mostly Echo products to Stihl over the past few years only because once I bought a few of the Stihls I tend to agree with him. Echo (and the others) are good products and we never really had any complaints with them but the Stihls are engineered a little better, built a little stronger and the new 4-mix engines have been a huge improvement in many ways.... quieter, easier to start, much better fuel economy and we seem to be getting longer life out of them.

However as with everything else it's still a personal preference thing. All of them (commercial handhelds) are good as are the ZTRs. Hard to knock any of them as a brand.

blake2727
04-21-2009, 09:09 AM
I dont see anything wrong with selling more than one brand but if his dealer is only going to push the stihl then there is no point in him having the others. When you go into most dealers who sell different brands and tell them what your looking for they will tell you, well I have this in this brand and this in this other brand that will both suit your needs, they have this warrantee blah blah now you choose. No point in having it if they dont try to sell it

HulkXD
04-21-2009, 11:14 AM
I know around here Stihl only allows one retailer to sell thier product within a certain mile radius, so the one's that can sell them try to sell the CRAP out of them.

lawnpro724
04-21-2009, 01:14 PM
I would push stihl to if i was a dealer its some of the best stuff out there. But like what was said tell him you will shop elsewhere and he will give you what you want.

Not according to my dealer. My dealer sells both Stihl and Echo and refers Echo over Stihl every time, they say they have a lot less trouble with their Echo products and the Stihls are in for repairs alot more than any other brand they sell.

MikeKle
04-21-2009, 02:15 PM
I dont even know why my dealer sells Echo and Kawasaki, they keep one or two out and they are back in a out of the way corner with dust on them! but they have a huge stihl section with a huge stihl sign hanging above and about 5 of each model! I did have a FS90 and I didnt like the 4mix and I do not like the stihl spools,too hard to get that top piece off with just your fingers! I may try a FS80 again if its a 2 stroke,but I would rather go with Kawasaki or Redmax.

KGR landscapeing
04-21-2009, 04:44 PM
My dealer sells KAW ECHO and husky. SO needless to say i hate echo i wouldnt run one for a day if u offerd me a million dollars now maybe 10 mill and will talk. so he wont even walk me past the echo stuff but he keeps the kaw stuff on a small rack, he dosent push it too hard run one though and ull never buy another brand.

DennisF
04-21-2009, 05:13 PM
I've owned most brands of handhelds, Stihl, Echo, Shindaiwa, Redmax...you name it and I've probably owned one at one time or another. Right now every piece of handheld equipment on my trailers is a Stihl. They just seem to outlast everything else and are easy to work on. I maintain all of my own equipment and Stihl is easier to work on, the parts are more readily available from suppliers, and most employees that have worked for me like Stihl equipment more than anything else.

AdamChrap
04-21-2009, 06:33 PM
We ran Commercial Husky trimmers for about 5 years and I always had twice as many as I needed due to the fact that they were in the shop on a rotating basis. Once I went to Stihl I never looked back. The first Stihl we ever had was amazing. Then they came out with the 4mix and WOW! I still have the first Stihl we got out with a crew for daily use (9 years old!). I have never had one major problem with a Stihl and maybe 2 or 3 small issues and that is out of about 15 Stihls that we have!

Richard Martin
04-21-2009, 07:29 PM
m with a Stihl and maybe 2 or 3 small issues and that is out of about 15 Stihls that we have!

Dude, you guys need some serious proofreading help on that website of yours.

One sentence says :

Think your paying to much? Unhappy with your current service? We an help you!

It should read....

Think you're paying too much? Unhappy with your current service? We can help you!

ed2hess
04-21-2009, 10:35 PM
Not according to my dealer. My dealer sells both Stihl and Echo and refers Echo over Stihl every time, they say they have a lot less trouble with their Echo products and the Stihls are in for repairs alot more than any other brand they sell.

Same thing in our area....echo almost 8 to 1. But when it comes to chain saw different story. The displays are exactly the same for both brands and I have never heard anyone push echo. Well except the repair guys.

MikeKle
04-21-2009, 10:49 PM
When it comes to chainsaws, Stihl is the only way to go, Ive never owned another brand of saw and never even seen anyone running an echo saw. I talked to another dealer in my area and I think Im going with the Redmax BCZ2401S, I think thats the right model #, but its the 23cc machine. He said they have a SOLID and splined driveshaft not a hollow driveshaft like some others, I dont know if this makes a big differrence or not, but I know having a splined connection is a very good thing, Plus Kawasaki lists many dealers in my area, but when I call them for info., they say theyve never sold Kawasaki handhelds? I dont know what to make of that, but I would love to try a Kawi but not if there isnt any dealers around me!Why would they list "fake" dealers??? Also on their website, it says we get too many emails to respond to, so if you need help, call your local dealer! To me that does not sound like good customer service, Exmark emails me back with answers within 2 days!!! BTW, what are all these people emailing Kawi about anyway?

mowerknower
04-21-2009, 10:51 PM
The dealer is going to push what he believes in. Cant blame him but if you want something else just tell him.

Wizz
04-21-2009, 11:13 PM
One dealer in our area sells both Shin and Stihl...one side of the store is Stihl, the other side is Shin...he lets the customers decide, how it should be. I don't know about Echo being better than Stihl, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a bigger margin in Echo handhelds over Stihl which would give a dealer incentive to push Echo over Stihl. I've never jumped on the Stihl wagon until I used more of their equipment, I absolutely love the performace/torque of the 4 mixes and their equipment is very reliable.

BadRancher
04-22-2009, 01:05 AM
RedMax is a good one and they are light in weight. I personally run Stihl, but my dealer sells Stihl and RedMax. They prefer RedMax until it comes to saws. The only RedMax tool I have is the hedge trimmer, and that is because the Stihl hedge trimmer was made in China.

Mickhippy
04-22-2009, 02:54 AM
Kawi's are great products. I personally have used Kawi BP Blower, trimmers and brush cutters for years! Stick to your guns and get what YOU want, not what gets shoved down your throat!