PDA

View Full Version : Walker GHS Bagger Blowing Grass on my back

tglasslawncare
04-21-2009, 08:45 AM
I am fairly new to walker mowers. My last one was 1994 MDD I bought used and it had a 7 bushel hopper (no grass on my back). I had it for about a year and a half. I recently bought a 2003 MDD with 9.5 bushel hopper to use for this season. It has been two weeks now and I am wondering if there is any solution to keep the grass from spraying the back of my head and shoulders. It is coming from the flap at the top of the hopper. It appears to be closed during mowing and the hopper is in good shape. Like I said if this is common I am new the walker line. I have been running toro most of my life. If anyone has a suggestion please let me know. Thanks

b121774
04-21-2009, 09:02 AM
Walker has a rubber flap that mounts inside the bag that prevents that. It came with my 08 mt. Ask your dealer. should be pretty cheap. It keeps the air flow going to the back and down, not out the top and front. Unfortunately you can't stick your hand back there to check for airflow anymore to see if it's plugged.

dave k
04-21-2009, 09:49 AM
I am fairly new to walker mowers. My last one was 1994 MDD I bought used and it had a 7 bushel hopper (no grass on my back). I had it for about a year and a half. I recently bought a 2003 MDD with 9.5 bushel hopper to use for this season. It has been two weeks now and I am wondering if there is any solution to keep the grass from spraying the back of my head and shoulders. It is coming from the flap at the top of the hopper. It appears to be closed during mowing and the hopper is in good shape. Like I said if this is common I am new the walker line. I have been running toro most of my life. If anyone has a suggestion please let me know. Thanks

Thats the nature of the beast, mine does the same thing, even with the flap sitting pretty tight, need to check out that rubber piece.

ztrlvr
04-21-2009, 10:35 AM
I had some blowout up there but not much, only when I was in dry, dry conditions and I turned downwind when turning. I installed the rubber flap in the catcher and have not had a problem with debris since. No I am waiting for the box to wear out(will be a while) and upgrade to the new 10.0 catcher, that thin is the bomb.

tglasslawncare
04-21-2009, 10:49 AM
Does anyone have any pics of the rubber flap or know what they cost? Thanks

ALC-GregH
04-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Call your dealer, I'm sure they know exactly what you'd be asking them about. I bet they'll give you a price too! :)

tglasslawncare
04-21-2009, 12:14 PM
Just called and they do have one. $12. I was just looking for some pics to see how they are installed. Thanks

ZX12R
04-21-2009, 12:32 PM
Just take a bungee strap and strap it across the top of the hopper holding th flap down.

tglasslawncare
04-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Thought of that but did not try it yet. Does it work well? Do you still get the correct air flow for vacuum so that grass collects?

ztrlvr
04-21-2009, 12:53 PM
It has nice installation instructions included. You will not be ab;e to see the flap after it is installed. 12 bucks??? Still a bargain at twice the price.

ztrlvr
04-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Go spend the 12 bucks, you don't want no damn bungee cord hanging from a nice piece of equipment like that.

starry night
04-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Mow 180 degrees the other direction and it will blow out the back.

grassaholic
04-21-2009, 01:23 PM
Go spend the 12 bucks, you don't want no damn bungee cord hanging from a nice piece of equipment like that.

The $12 rubber flap helps but doesn't fix it. I have a newer 26hp that came with the rubber flap and it blows grass on my back.:hammerhead: I think the only solution is the new 10 bushel grass catcher that Walker came out with this year. The new grass catcher eliminates the flap on the top and the door pulls closed tighter. Once Walker added the larger blower to their mowers it magnified the flaws of the catcher design. I've expierenced 2 different problems with the old design catcher. The first thing that I've expierenced is the catcher door being blown open just enough to leak grass all over the place while I'm mowing. This really sucks since the whole point in using a Walker is to keep from getting grass on sidewalks and driveways. The only thing I've found to help this is to keep the screen in the catcher really clean.
The other problem I've expierenced is the one that started this thread. Both my 26 and 31 hp units blow grass on my back. The 26 is worse though because the metal hinge that holds the flap on the catcher is deformed from the flap getting caught on some tree branches.
The moral of my story is....... The only real fix is to get the new catcher. If I had $2000 to spend on my mowers, I would by the new catcher for both of them. The new catcher doesn't have the flap on top like the old ones and the door pulls shut and stays shut. Of course I don't have $2000 to spend on my mowers. Hell, I don't even have $1000 to get just one catcher.:laugh: I guess I'll just have to suck it up and let the damn mower blow grass on my back and constantly clean the screen so the door stays shut.:rolleyes:

ztrlvr
04-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Guess I didn't factor in the 10.5 blower as I run the 10" blower.

How about riveting a strip of metal (1/4" thick)along the leading edge of the deflector on the underside? To weigh it down

Maybe someone makes a hinge that would fit that has a heavier resistance.

Here are pictures of it installed as requested earlier.

ZX12R
04-21-2009, 05:56 PM
"Thought of that but did not try it yet. Does it work well? Do you still get the correct air flow for vacuum so that grass collects? "

Yes it works well,I have had it on for 4 years now.When I first got the machine,the springs on the flap broke do to the wind going ovr it while driving on an open trailer.

tglasslawncare
04-21-2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the info and pics guys.

Hometown
04-21-2009, 10:17 PM
You might also want to do check something else. I used a walker 42" with GHS for many years and the only time the grass would blow out and on my back is when the vent wholes in the top of the grass box became clogged. Try checking the inside of the box on the top, I would always keep a stiff bristle wire brush with a long handle in my truck just to clean the thing out because you never could predict when the thing would finally be clogged enough to cause the blowing grass issue. Also the mower I used never had the rubber flap item in the pics I saw and the only time I had your problem is when the vent wholes in the box were full of grass,dirt,dust etc. This is if yours has the wholes as the mower I used did. Hope this helps some.

chrissmart123
10-12-2009, 10:29 PM
if you change the hopper filter screen to the one with the smaller holes the problem will go away..i have both and only have that problem with the larger one

KS_Grasscutter
10-12-2009, 10:35 PM
I had some blowout up there but not much, only when I was in dry, dry conditions and I turned downwind when turning. I installed the rubber flap in the catcher and have not had a problem with debris since. No I am waiting for the box to wear out(will be a while) and upgrade to the new 10.0 catcher, that thin is the bomb.

Do the dump bins work with the new style catcher? My old ass walker needs a new catcher and I would go with the new style if my bins will work. Then again, it also needs a new deck with hanger, and engine. Maybe I will just pawn it off on craigslist...

ALC-GregH
10-12-2009, 10:47 PM
Do the dump bins work with the new style catcher? My old ass walker needs a new catcher and I would go with the new style if my bins will work. Then again, it also needs a new deck with hanger, and engine. Maybe I will just pawn it off on craigslist...

from the sounds of it, your better off paying a junkyard to come pick it up! :)

BPS##
04-26-2012, 10:29 PM
"Thought of that but did not try it yet. Does it work well? Do you still get the correct air flow for vacuum so that grass collects? "

Yes it works well,I have had it on for 4 years now.When I first got the machine,the springs on the flap broke do to the wind going ovr it while driving on an open trailer.

Back on, not drive on.
Problem of broken springs fixed.

I never drive mine on.

starry night
04-26-2012, 10:39 PM
A little late to the party, BPS## ?? This thread ended last October or at least it seemed to.

nickslawnltd
04-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Back on, not drive on.
Problem of broken springs fixed.

I never drive mine on.

We always back them on as well. As stated that problem is solved

BPS##
04-26-2012, 11:06 PM
A little late to the party, BPS## ?? This thread ended last October or at least it seemed to.

It is what it is.

The search feature brings up old posts that get commented on all the time.

starry night
04-27-2012, 08:06 AM
Just teasin' ya.