PDA

View Full Version : HUD homes

McNeal Lawn
03-26-2002, 04:47 PM
Has anyone have any experience with HUD homes, that would give me a few pionters on thier pricing or how to get on th ir Vendor's list? And is it worth the paperwork?

Premo Services
03-26-2002, 06:04 PM
:eek: here is a little reading doing a search with the word hud

http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?action=showresults&searchid=84861&sortby=lastpost&sortorder=descending

65hoss
03-26-2002, 07:32 PM
I think you made my blood boil again just reading those posts. ;)

Don't walk away, run and hide. Sounds like a quick money situation, but it isn't. Complete disaster.

McNeal Lawn
03-26-2002, 08:07 PM
Hoss I was hoping for your input, after reading what you have hit mowing a HUD property. From your post I gather you do not recommend getting involved with HUD? Sorry to raise you blood pressure.

65hoss
03-27-2002, 01:14 AM
Its one of those situations that seems to good to be true at the beginning. All you do is mow and trim. No edging, no blowing. Well, within 1 month I realized this wasn't a smart idea. They changed the rules continually, they decide if you should get paid after you do the work. They cut the check but will not mail it for 20 days so they collect the interest, and if you want it timely they deduct 5% or 10%, if forgot which. They are overgrown everytime and you never know what your about to run over. etc, etc, etc, etc

I just hope to save people some major grief. Don't learn this lesson afterwards, learn from my mistake and hide.

McNeal Lawn
03-27-2002, 08:00 AM
Once again this site has yielded a wealth of wisdom. After doing a search on the topic, and from the input of others, I don't think I want to get involved with HUD properties. Thanks for saving me headaches.

Ground Master
03-27-2002, 10:39 AM
Years ago I responded to an ad for maintaining HUD homes. They were to be mowed every 2 to 4 weeks, you had to remove all trash no matter what it was. They paid 25 per house. What a joke. You could get an entire truck load a stuff just from one house !!!!!! I had looked at a few......people would move out of these houses and throw their stuff all over the yard.

nubbie
03-27-2002, 11:48 AM
I am going on my second year off having HUD contracts and I have had no problem with them. Granted the checks take up to thirty days to process, but they are easy to do. I have about 250 properties, they are cut every 2 weeks at about $20 per cut. I get $45 for the initial and cleanup and if the garbage is rediculous I ask to have a bid or I don't do it. All my properties are in the inner city: very small lawns and all within three zip codes. With two trucks we knock them off within three days, then we have the rest of the week for our regulars and since no one lives in these houses we can cut any day we want. They do like to change the rules up but I always refer back to the original contract- if they want extra they pay extra. I guess I have a good situation, no one else wants these so I am all they got.

Good Luck!!