PDA

View Full Version : Water Feature in a Stacked Mortared Wall

Progrounds-VA
04-21-2009, 11:36 AM
We are constructing a stacked stone mortared wall, the wall is approx 6ft tall x 20 ft long and we will be building in a spill way to create a water feature which will be at the top of the wall, falling down over the stone to a raised pond. We have looked into using different water tight mortars and also adding a pond liner within the wall. The spill way is approx 36" and will fall down over 5 ft section of the wall.

We worry about the water finding its way back through the wall and mortar, has anyone done something like this? Can you give some advice. Thanks in advance.

Bru75
04-21-2009, 05:27 PM
Never done this, but the pond liner sounds like a good idea.
I used to be the maint. mgr. at a resort. We had a stone fountain that had constant problems with cracks and leaks.
I'm sure you've already considered this but, depending on the size of the water feature, it could add a lot of weight to the wall.

PaperCutter
04-22-2009, 09:11 PM
How far out is your spillway stone projecting?

Progrounds-VA
04-22-2009, 10:40 PM
I will run down the wall, hitting the stacked stone as it goers down...

PaperCutter
04-22-2009, 10:50 PM
Yeah, I'd totally integrate the liner behind the stone. If money was no object, you could shotcrete the whole thing and build the wall, but I imagine your client lives in the real world with the rest of us...

Progrounds-VA
04-22-2009, 10:53 PM
thanks for the info, always worth presenting/ talking about.... thanks again.