PDA

View Full Version : Best Power Option for Scag 72" Velocity

Crazy Cutter
04-21-2009, 02:04 PM
I'm still trying to make my decision on which power option is best to use for the TT with a 72" Velocity +? I'm like nosparkplugs in believing that diesel is the way to go. I'm having a hard time believing that the 28hp CAT that Scag offers has quite enough torque and power to run a 72" deck in thick northern grasses. I guess I would really like to offer see them offer bigger Kub and Cat diesel engine options like Bad Boy and Ferris offer in the 33-35HP range. This is why I wish they still offered the Sabre Tooth Tiger, what a perfect platform for one of these bigger engine options. So along those lines if the diesels don't quite have enough guts, is the 35hp BVG the way to go if gas is the best option? Proly nothing that 18 or 19K won't cure:dizzy:
So guys on here that run the 72" what are you guys running for power?
Thanks all!
Brett

blake2727
04-21-2009, 02:21 PM
I bet that 28 hp Cat diesel gives you as much torque as the 35 BVG. You cant compare a gas burner and a diesel strickly by horsepower. Go test drive both and see what you think.

IHusky
04-21-2009, 02:28 PM
I wish Scag would bring back the Sabre Tooth.:cry::cry:

Crazy Cutter
04-21-2009, 02:34 PM
I wish Scag would bring back the Sabre Tooth.:cry::cry:

They dont have one on site and i'm not sure if one is available in my region to demo. Seemed to think only a 61 was available to bring in from somewhere and he wasn't sure if it was a CAT, proly a KAWI liquid cooled.

Crazy Cutter
04-21-2009, 03:15 PM
Going back to the Scag site and looking, the 28hp CAT is listed as having 54ft/lb's torque and the 35HP BVG has 53ft/lb's torque and the 25hp Kubota has 41.5. Also I just noticed that the only way to get a 72" Velocity is with the 28hp Cat ( I knew that but forgot :rolleyes:), the only other options are a 29hp Kawi liquid cooled and a 35hp BVG with the advantage deck.
So is 54ft/lb's enough to power through lush green grasses?

IHusky
04-21-2009, 03:48 PM
I had the 29 kaw and it did fine on the 61 TT but you cant put that engine in the same catagory as the 35 big block or 28 cat. I just cant see the 35 big or 28 cat not being able to push that 72" deck if it doesn't skip a beat on the 61" deck. I read that some guys have cut through some thick stuff and they can barley notice the engine RMP changing. Tacoma just cut through some stuff at 3/4 throttle because he didn't even notice it. Maybe Tacoma can give his opinion or Puppy Paws can give thier opinion. I would hope a dealer would let a buyer demo a 19K mower before purchase. My Scag dealer here, drove one 2 hours so a ranch owner could demo the 61" TT with 28 cat. The ranch owner was worried about the TT not being able to cut some of the overgrown stuff he needed cut on his ranch. So they worked out a deal where the Dealer would drive it down for demo and if it did the job the guy would buy. The ranch owner bought it on the spot after demo.

blake2727
04-21-2009, 03:50 PM
That should be plenty. Probably not going to find much more than that. You can check out the grasshopper with the Kubota diesel but honestly I think you will be satisfied with the cat as for as power goes. I love my grasshopper but I cant put down on scag for anything other than a rough ride.

IHusky
04-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Here's Tacoma200 post with the TT with 61" and 35 big cutting through some pretty lush stuff. I don't think either engine is going to struggle with the 72" TT deck.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=271598

blake2727
04-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Both engines should have enough power. Diesel engine will last longer if taken care of but maintenance will be a little more. You cant compare fuel cost cause diesel may be more expensive for a while then it may drop cheaper than gas. You will burn less diesel than gas though. Personally if I had an open check book I would go with the diesel.

Razorblades
04-21-2009, 05:02 PM
Going back to the Scag site and looking, the 28hp CAT is listed as having 54ft/lb's torque and the 35HP BVG has 53ft/lb's torque and the 25hp Kubota has 41.5. Also I just noticed that the only way to get a 72" Velocity is with the 28hp Cat ( I knew that but forgot :rolleyes:), the only other options are a 29hp Kawi liquid cooled and a 35hp BVG with the advantage deck.
So is 54ft/lb's enough to power through lush green grasses?

There is a thread on here where Puppypaws tested a Bad Boy mower with the 28 HP Cat diesel along with a couple more mowers and he said that the Cat powere mower didn't handle the tall thick grass near as well as the other two, which were gas powered. Do a search and you'll see his report. Or PM him and he can tell you his experience with them.