PDA

View Full Version : Scag TT Promo Price

puppypaws
04-21-2009, 02:00 PM
There are new Scag TT's, 61" with the 35 Vanguard in different areas of the country being sold at a promo price of $10,499.00 and I was told they could be bought for $9,800.00 from the right person.

People that keep talking about the high prices of Scag mowers need to be looking in the right places, they are in areas of the country to be bought at pretty good prices. This is not hearsay, and came straight from the man in the know. He gave me the impression every sell was tough and things were being done to deal with this weak economy.

bryansong
04-21-2009, 02:13 PM
Price quoted to me this morning Blue Springs Missouri

$12,148.00 This is quite a bit away from your source.

I am talking about the high prices --- yet, I am still working on it. I think I am going to run into this with eXmark also. Still working on it!!!

Also, I have no intention of scouring the country trying to make a deal. I need a local dealer, even if it is 20 miles away, local enough.

Bryan

puppypaws
04-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Price quoted to me this morning Blue Springs Missouri

$12,148.00 This is quite a bit away from your source.

I am talking about the high prices --- yet, I am still working on it. I think I am going to run into this with eXmark also. Still working on it!!!

Also, I have no intention of scouring the country trying to make a deal. I need a local dealer, even if it is 20 miles away, local enough.

Bryan

It really amazes me how there can be so much price difference around the country on all mowers. I told him what Tacoma was able to buy the 35 TT for ($9600.00) and he said, "someone really wanted him to have that mower, I know exactly what the cost is and that was more than a good price."

The impression I got from him was Tacoma bought the cheapest one in the country. I asked him what the promo price on the 29 dfi was and he said, "$12,999.00," I said, "you have got to be kidding me." He then told me you may find one for a little over $12,000.00 if someone was hungry enough, after that he said, "and believe me we have dealers hurting in this economy."

I said, "I'll be darn if I would buy a weaker mower (by far) and pay $2500.00 dollars more for it." I realize there is a fuel savings, but I don't know if it would pay its way in comparison due to the fact a 35 hp Vanguard is by far more productive. You can say, I am saving fuel, which means I am paying the difference in price, but when you take into consideration how much more productive the machine is; this makes the money figure a little differently.

bryansong
04-21-2009, 04:37 PM
Puppypaws,

I am leaving from work in a minute or so, never heard back from the guy I saw Saturday, I called too early and he wasn't in yet. I am going to go by there tonight. I hope he can get me a demo unit.

I have no problem with a more productive 35 hp unit. I asked for a price quote on the 29 kaw DFI ( fuel injected) also ( not buy my salesman) and it was $11,700.00
That is less than I thought it was going to be.

Bryan

tacoma200
04-21-2009, 05:56 PM
Puppypaws,

I am leaving from work in a minute or so, never heard back from the guy I saw Saturday, I called too early and he wasn't in yet. I am going to go by there tonight. I hope he can get me a demo unit.

I have no problem with a more productive 35 hp unit. I asked for a price quote on the 29 kaw DFI ( fuel injected) also ( not buy my salesman) and it was $11,700.00
That is less than I thought it was going to be.

Bryan

That's just a little more than what I priced the 29 Kaws at, I think the best offer was $10,895 for an 08 and maybe $10,200 for an 09. My dealer had to buy 5 of the 35's last year that were offered for the same price that the dealer had been paying for the 27 Kohlers (that's what the dealer said) so my dealer took them up on the offer. Other dealers told me the same thing that they were offered a promotion on 35 Briggs but most of the dealers passed up the offer because the 27 Kohlers and 29 Kaws are better sellers here. I can't explain it but my dealer said he still had a couple left, not sure if I can get anyone out of taxes but I bet he would sell the last two at or close to the price he gave me. He was only able to sell this at this price because he agreed to take several 35's off their hands when they needed to move that model. Most dealers passed on the offer. My dealer thought it was crazy not to buy the 35's at the 27 Kohler price so he jumped on the deal. This is what I was told. I also had to agree on paying up front, not trades, no finance to get this price.

If my dealer had to buy the same unit now his price would be much higher I would guess.

puppypaws
04-21-2009, 08:15 PM
My dealer thought it was crazy not to buy the 35's at the 27 Kohler price so he jumped on the deal.

That would seem like a no brainer to me personally, the 35 will drag a 27 backwards.

thawk408
04-21-2009, 09:23 PM
My dealer is selling me a 61/35 for $9600. Picking it up thursday. Also getting $1000 in trade for an old walk behind I have and I am financing.

thawk408
04-21-2009, 09:44 PM
It wont let me edit?

I believe he ordered 3 more, if anyone wants one.

bahamamills
04-21-2009, 11:27 PM
Best I could find for the 61/35 was 10.2 and call dealers withing 45 miles in every direction.

clvickers
04-21-2009, 11:43 PM
I just both a SCAG TT w/61" Deck, 27 A/C Kohler and Suspension Seat for $10,250.00

bryansong
04-21-2009, 11:56 PM
Tacoma,

The price I was quoted over the phone by a young man at a different shop location a few miles from their main shop, still the same establishment, different branch.

I met with salesman at the main branchand he said they never carried the 35hp. OK lets check out the 29hp dfi for a possible demo at my house. He had one in a crate. He started looking at the numbers trying to figure out where the other guy came up with 11,700.00. It turns out it also needed a 2 thousand dollar deck added,
Huh? That is putting me up in the high 13's. I am beginning to believe I couldn't afford this mower and was ready to leave and started thinking about the Wildcat on sale. 61" 27hp kawasaki and that is the biggest engine availible for the Wildcat. He still wanted to bring me a mower so he showed me a John Deere. I almost said OK during a weak moment but said No, I came here for the Velocity Deck so bring me the 52" Wildcat 27 hp motor. (didn't have a 61) I am thinking the 61" decks needs a bigger motor. I quit looking at the Wildcat for just that reason.
Tomorrow he will bring the Wildcat 52" but that won't show me that it is strong enough for a 61 but that will show me if I like the deck.
Friday I get the eXmark and the Toro to keep for a couple of days and they will have the 61" 29 hps. (no DFI)
It is getting old. I mean all the work you have to do to figure out what you want, or at least what you think you want. At least I am getting down towards the end of the process.

Last thoughts, If I love the Scag Wildcat and feel I would much rather have it instead of either of the other two I will shoot the dealer an offer on a Turf Tiger 61" 29 HP DFI with a cart hitch and headlights. If he can't afford to take that offer then I buy one of the other two
I want a 61.

Tacoma, please don't forget I asked you a question and could use an answer.

Bryan

puppypaws
04-22-2009, 01:19 AM
Tacoma,

The price I was quoted over the phone by a young man at a different shop location a few miles from their main shop, still the same establishment, different branch.

I met with salesman at the main branchand he said they never carried the 35hp. OK lets check out the 29hp dfi for a possible demo at my house. He had one in a crate. He started looking at the numbers trying to figure out where the other guy came up with 11,700.00. It turns out it also needed a 2 thousand dollar deck added,
Huh? That is putting me up in the high 13's. I am beginning to believe I couldn't afford this mower and was ready to leave and started thinking about the Wildcat on sale. 61" 27hp kawasaki and that is the biggest engine availible for the Wildcat. He still wanted to bring me a mower so he showed me a John Deere. I almost said OK during a weak moment but said No, I came here for the Velocity Deck so bring me the 52" Wildcat 27 hp motor. (didn't have a 61) I am thinking the 61" decks needs a bigger motor. I quit looking at the Wildcat for just that reason.
Tomorrow he will bring the Wildcat 52" but that won't show me that it is strong enough for a 61 but that will show me if I like the deck.
Friday I get the eXmark and the Toro to keep for a couple of days and they will have the 61" 29 hps. (no DFI)
It is getting old. I mean all the work you have to do to figure out what you want, or at least what you think you want. At least I am getting down towards the end of the process.

Last thoughts, If I love the Scag Wildcat and feel I would much rather have it instead of either of the other two I will shoot the dealer an offer on a Turf Tiger 61" 29 HP DFI with a cart hitch and headlights. If he can't afford to take that offer then I buy one of the other two
I want a 61.

Bryan

Bryan, believe me, there is a 61" Scag TT with a 35 hp Vanguard waiting for you to take home and love. Get on out there and find it, if you don"t, and ever get a chance to run one, you will feel very sorry for yourself.

thawk408
04-22-2009, 01:36 AM
Tacoma,

I want a 61.

Bryan

That dealer is trying to sell you a mower at MRSP. Head out the door and go to a diff dealer.

js.lawn
04-22-2009, 01:39 AM

Bryan[/QUOTE]

I AGREE

tacoma200
04-22-2009, 06:53 AM
Bryan, what was the question you wanted answerer ? I'm on a cell phone and its hard to browse.

bryansong
04-22-2009, 07:28 AM
Tacoma,

Sorry, Maybe I forgot to ask the question. The question- What was the price quote you received for the 29hp DFI. This information might give me some incite as what I should try to offer.

Also, I extended my reach via email for the Big Block. We'll see what comes back.

Bryan

tacoma200
04-22-2009, 07:49 AM
Brian, for an 08 29 kaw turf tiger the best was 10,895 and for an 09 the best was 11,200 and I had to do some talking to get them that low.

bryansong
04-22-2009, 08:46 AM
Thanks Tacoma,

I guess they know eventually someone will give them what they want.

On the Big Block, it is still pretty early in the morning so I'm sure nobody is open yet but, I sent out email to three other dealers. Hopefully I will get some good news.

Bryan

bryansong
04-22-2009, 09:01 PM
I found a big block, and also found 31hp Kohler Aegis- Electronic Fuel injection L/C. I was asked not to reveal the price but it is fair to say the 40 mile drive was worth it.

Thanks for pushing me to search for the big blocks Tacoma.

I cancelled the demo of the Wildcat with yesterday's dealer so I could go look at these mowers. I still didn't get to see how well they cut but I did drive the 31 and the wildcat. I like the liquid cool and the fuel injection so I didn't test drive the 35hp. I have a good feeling I would be very happy with either of these mowers.

I have the eXmark dealer bringing the 29hp Next Lazer Z over Friday evening to keep for the weekend but I dicided to tell him not to bring the Toro since they were basically the same mower.

I think the 31 would be my first choice but I will wait until Monday to make up my mind. This search has been tiring, but at least I am nearing the end. Thanks you all so much for the education. I'm humbled!

Bryan

johnnybravo8802
04-22-2009, 09:01 PM
I paid $11,400(29 Kawi DFI) for mine last year but I thought that was a good price considering the inflated prices on the Exmark's. When I started buying Exmark's in 99', they were a lot more affordable. I bought a demo(72" 27 Kawi LC) with very low hours in 02' and only paid $8500. I almost flipped when I priced one out again last year. When I bought my Scag, I felt like I was getting a better machine for the same price-the dealer steered me away from the 35 B@S. I even looked at Hustler and they steered me away from the 35 because of the fuel usage-I don't know, that's what they said. In my opinion, B@S has to sell a higher HP engine at a much lower price because they aren't as good of an engine-there has to be some reason for it. Every B@S you see has a lot of HP for a cheap price. I'm not trying to offend anyone, just stating facts.

bryansong
04-22-2009, 09:18 PM
oops!

Thank you puppypaws, I meant to give you credit also.

Bryan, believe me, there is a 61" Scag TT with a 35 hp Vanguard waiting for you to take home and love. Get on out there and find it, if you don"t, and ever get a chance to run one, you will feel very sorry for yourself.

tacoma200
04-22-2009, 09:24 PM
Thanks Tacoma,

I guess they know eventually someone will give them what they want.

On the Big Block, it is still pretty early in the morning so I'm sure nobody is open yet but, I sent out email to three other dealers. Hopefully I will get some good news.

Bryan

Your welcome, I hope you are happy with whatever decision you make.:)

tacoma200
04-22-2009, 09:39 PM
I paid $11,400(29 Kawi DFI) for mine last year but I thought that was a good price considering the inflated prices on the Exmark's. When I started buying Exmark's in 99', they were a lot more affordable. I bought a demo(72" 27 Kawi LC) with very low hours in 02' and only paid $8500. I almost flipped when I priced one out again last year. When I bought my Scag, I felt like I was getting a better machine for the same price-the dealer steered me away from the 35 B@S. I even looked at Hustler and they steered me away from the 35 because of the fuel usage-I don't know, that's what they said. In my opinion, B@S has to sell a higher HP engine at a much lower price because they aren't as good of an engine-there has to be some reason for it. Every B@S you see has a lot of HP for a cheap price. I'm not trying to offend anyone, just stating facts.

I don't doubt the 29 dfi Kawasaki and 31 efi Kohler are designed to be longer lasting, or a better engine for lack of a better term at the moment. In fact I was calling dealers looking for the Kawasaki because it was liquid cooled and Kawasaki has a very good name. I was actually dreading mowing with less hp because after you feel the power of a big Briggs or other brand of engine it is very hard to go back. But while pricing Turf Tigers at about 5 dealers I drove to my local dealer and was shocked when he told me about buying several 35 Briggs at such a low price.

Anyway I got the mower through my local dealer, which I like and saved almost enough to buy a second 35 hp Briggs. That was the deal breaker, plus I love the torque on the Briggs. You hear of a problem with a big Briggs every now and then but the fact Daihatsu make them put them in a different class than the regular class of Briggs. This is several years Exmark, Scag, and other ZTR makers have offered it so the track record couldn't be that bad or they would yank them in a hurry like they did the 30 Kohler (which Exmark canned as soon as problems showed up)

I also have a bad habit of steering dealers instead of them steering me. Until you sign on the line your the boss and have all the dealing power (you can just walk away).

Crazy Cutter
04-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Found a great machine on ebay this afternoon for anyone in PA or willing to drive to PA for a 08 TT 61" 35HP briggs with only 15hrs used as a demo. Might be something to check out. The auction has a "buy it now" for $9900 also.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCAG-TURF-TIGER-ZERO-TURN-MOWER_W0QQitemZ330323143524QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item330323143524&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

johnnybravo8802
04-22-2009, 09:55 PM
I don't doubt the 29 dfi Kawasaki and 31 efi Kohler are designed to be longer lasting, or a better engine for lack of a better term at the moment. In fact I was calling dealers looking for the Kawasaki because it was liquid cooled and Kawasaki has a very good name. I was actually dreading mowing with less hp because after you feel the power of a big Briggs or other brand of engine it is very hard to go back. But while pricing Turf Tigers at about 5 dealers I drove to my local dealer and was shocked when he told me about buying several 35 Briggs at such a low price.

Anyway I got the mower through my local dealer, which I like and saved almost enough to buy a second 35 hp Briggs. That was the deal breaker, plus I love the torque on the Briggs. You hear of a problem with a big Briggs every now and then but the fact Daihatsu make them put them in a different class than the regular class of Briggs. This is several years Exmark, Scag, and other ZTR makers have offered it so the track record couldn't be that bad or they would yank them in a hurry like they did the 30 Kohler (which Exmark canned as soon as problems showed up)

I also have a bad habit of steering dealers instead of them steering me. Until you sign on the line your the boss and have all the dealing power (you can just walk away).
I agree Tacoma about you getting a great deal-I don't blame you. I was simply referring to the price difference reasoning. I bought my Ferris in 01' when B@S and Daihatsu first combined-they were suppose to be the sh@#!!!! I have never had so many problems with an engine and it was underpowered on top of that-a 31HP!!!!! Would you believe the flywheel came completely off of the back of the engine and locked the engine down(Only had 83 hrs.). I had to use a come-a-long to hoist the machine up onto the trailer and take it to the dealer. That was the final straw that made me sell the machine back to Ferris. I lost my taste for Ferris(lack of dealer support) and B@S. Maybe they have improved but that's enough to turn anyone off.

tacoma200
04-22-2009, 10:12 PM
I agree Tacoma about you getting a great deal-I don't blame you. I was simply referring to the price difference reasoning. I bought my Ferris in 01' when B@S and Daihatsu first combined-they were suppose to be the sh@#!!!! I have never had so many problems with an engine and it was underpowered on top of that-a 31HP!!!!! Would you believe the flywheel came completely off of the back of the engine and locked the engine down(Only had 83 hrs.). I had to use a come-a-long to hoist the machine up onto the trailer and take it to the dealer. That was the final straw that made me sell the machine back to Ferris. I lost my taste for Ferris(lack of dealer support) and B@S. Maybe they have improved but that's enough to turn anyone off.

Yes that would be enough to turn me away. I always feel like I'm taking a gamble, weighing the odds between the engines. Quality at a price or take a chance on saving money on a less known engine.

To be honest just buying a ZTR these days seems like a gamble, especially if the design is new.

puppypaws
04-22-2009, 10:44 PM
oops!

Thank you puppypaws, I meant to give you credit also.

You are more than welcome. I've only heard good things about the 31 Aegis, but then again, they have not been in zero turn applications very long.

Each to their own, but personally I do not want the extra maintenance and up-keep of liquid cool. They claim they are quieter engines and the longevity is supposedly better along with fuel economy. The rep that is bringing me the mowers claim his people are running more 27 Kohlers and 35 Vanguards in this area. He said these same people had 29 dfi Kawi's and found them not holding up any better than the a/c engines and the higher price was not found by them to be worth the difference.

He said his bigger commercial accounts were really liking the productivity of the 35 Vanguards, they hit the ground running hard every morning and don't let up. They run them for all they are worth one cutting season and trade them in on the same mower. There are still a number of 27 Kohlers being sold, he said, but if anyone every runs the 35, and know they can buy it for the same money, once they feel the power difference, it's a done deal.

I told him the Scag factory made the statement to me that the 29 dfi out sold every other engine they offered by far. He said, not in my area, once that was the case, but the difference in price is not justifying itself any longer, that could possibly change if gas goes back to $4.00 a gallon.

He also said he could not wait for my opinion of the ride with the new isolation seat on the Exmark Series 6. I did not tell him I had the best riding and operating zero turn mower on the market, (this is with $500.00 worth of additions). I will get a good idea of the ride, but there is a tremendous difference in the ride of a 11.5 mph mower (Lazer Z) and a 15 mph machine. You can take a mower that possibly rides better at 11.5 mph, but when you move it up 3.5 more mph it is a entirely dissimilar ride. That may not seem like very much to someone that has never experienced it, but when you use two mowers with that speed difference, it is a completely different ride and operation.

When I get this rodeo behind me this weekend where I can totally concentrate next week on these different mowers, I will run them through all mowing conditions. I am really disappointed I had to take a 29 dfi instead of the 35 Vanguard on the Velocity deck. The difference in power can make a deck react totally different, when your blade tip speed drops for any reason, you are then sitting on top of a mechanically different operating deck. The power of the 35 Vanguard keeps the deck operating to its full potential at all times. Where as with the 29 dfi in varying conditions you may see the deck at full potential only 75%; or maybe less during operation time.

puppypaws
04-22-2009, 10:54 PM
Found a great machine on ebay this afternoon for anyone in PA or willing to drive to PA for a 08 TT 61" 35HP briggs with only 15hrs used as a demo. Might be something to check out. The auction has a "buy it now" for $9900 also.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCAG-TURF-TIGER-ZERO-TURN-MOWER_W0QQitemZ330323143524QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item330323143524&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

That is a great mower, if I was in the area, I would start at $8600.00 and go up. It can probably be bought for $9400.00 to $9600.00, maybe less who knows. It appears he's had trouble getting rid of it in that area. Any make engine can go down; but the American people have a mental block on Briggs & Stratton.

thawk408
04-22-2009, 11:12 PM
In all honestly, even without the special promotion, I dont see why the 35hp would be priced much higher then the 27hp. The engines brand new are not that far apart, price wise.

bryansong
04-22-2009, 11:15 PM
puppypaws,
Talking about your $500.00 upgrade, are you refering to a different suspension seat on your tiger?
I should have at least driven the 35.
Something else to consider about me, I only mow my yard so I dont' put a lot of hours on a mower. I know some will say it is an overkill but I have mowed this yard for 29 years with nothing but used riders and push mowers. I think it is time to get a really good one. I did have a 1991 Ransom ztr 50" 20hp but I purchased it used and eventually the deck rusted out. Then, two years ago I bought a used Waker 48" 18hp but I also bought it used. I still have it today and it is a nice mower but I hate the single rear wheel castor. When it's wet it makes a big rut in the ditch. Walker does not make a split wheel for my model so that is what got me started this search, a search for a nice new mower, OVERKILL.
After all of these years my hard yard work is paying off. I just want to make it easier.

I still might look at that 35, it sure is a nice looking engine.

Bryan

tacoma200
04-22-2009, 11:16 PM
The image in peoples mind of briggs being the cheap engine of Walmart mowers is very difficult to break.

puppypaws
04-22-2009, 11:59 PM
puppypaws,
Talking about your $500.00 upgrade, are you refering to a different suspension seat on your tiger?
I should have at least driven the 35.
Something else to consider about me, I only mow my yard so I dont' put a lot of hours on a mower. I know some will say it is an overkill but I have mowed this yard for 29 years with nothing but used riders and push mowers. I think it is time to get a really good one. I did have a 1991 Ransom ztr 50" 20hp but I purchased it used and eventually the deck rusted out. Then, two years ago I bought a used Waker 48" 18hp but I also bought it used. I still have it today and it is a nice mower but I hate the single rear wheel castor. When it's wet it makes a big rut in the ditch. Walker does not make a split wheel for my model so that is what got me started this search, a search for a nice new mower, OVERKILL.
After all of these years my hard yard work is paying off. I just want to make it easier.

I still might look at that 35, it sure is a nice looking engine.

Bryan

No Bryan, I run a Hustler Super Z with flex forks ($199.99) and a flex seat (299.99). I mow large open areas at a very fast speed (15 mph), a great deal of the time. There is no mower on the market that rides and handles as good as mine does. I believe the Scag Velocity deck is better than the Hustler XR-7 deck in all cutting situations. I cut low, 2.75" which allows my XR-7 deck to give a great cut at a very fast speed.

I believe the Velocity deck with its very large discharge opening and design gives a better cut in all variations of mowing. I would love to have the ride, handling and speed of my Super Z with a much larger engine and a Velocity deck. I think that would be the ultimate cutting machine.