PDA

View Full Version : Redmax 7000 BP just died.

dave k
04-21-2009, 06:36 PM
My Redmax backpack just died, think the piston went out, I couldn't pull the rope, took out the plug, it spun ok, put it back in, re tried to start it and it started and than started make clunking/knocking noises and that was it. It is 8 years old and served me well. Just wondering if the new C4 technology would be better to go with that a 2 stroke, the Shindaiwa's are nice but no one has them in yet, anyone use them, the new ones are blue.
The dealer is about 35 miles away, that's the only bad thing, do they need to have the valves adjusted like the Sthil's after so many hours, I know it is only a one time adjustment.
Any suggestions or comments is appreciated.

jsf343
04-21-2009, 06:49 PM
My Redmax backpack just died, think the piston went out, I couldn't pull the rope, took out the plug, it spun ok, put it back in, re tried to start it and it started and than started make clunking/knocking noises and that was it. It is 8 years old and served me well. Just wondering if the new C4 technology would be better to go with that a 2 stroke, the Shindaiwa's are nice but no one has them in yet, anyone use them, the new ones are blue.
The dealer is about 35 miles away, that's the only bad thing, do they need to have the valves adjusted like the Sthil's after so many hours, I know it is only a one time adjustment.
Any suggestions or comments is appreciated.

Just bought one. The good... blows very well! cfm is one of the best if not THE best. It is fairly comfy with the new pads they placed on it. seems like it does not drink the gas as fast. quieter then my last shindawa. I feel it is better then any of the other blowers I have tried. The EPA will soon be making massive changes to the environmental laws, the good news is this blower is the cleanest out there with the stricktest pollution standards.

The bad... Heavy. hard to start, usually takes 4 pulls. My buddy had a Redmax also with the same issue that killed his as well, we bought the new Redmax and it starts hard as well. (think its the environmental crap on both of them) it is also spendy.

Bottom line... I love it and would highly reccomend it to you if you don't mind thoses few bads.

dave k
04-22-2009, 04:00 PM
I will look at them, I saw a video on you tube of the 2 cycle blower, it was 30 degrees out side, sat all night, so they said and it started on the first pull, I like the Sthil because of the weight, I'm not getting any younger! but not crazy about having to have the valves adjusted yearly?

So your friends died like mine, did he ever find out what was wrong with it?

I may take mine apart just to see, time permitting. Thanks for the feedback

dave k
04-24-2009, 12:03 AM
Went with the shinny, can't wait to use it.

nosparkplugs
04-24-2009, 12:11 AM
I took the spark arrestor & baffle out of Shindy 802 as I do with all my 2 cycle equipment, and WOW I thought It was strong before what a improvement from a cold start. The baffle is so restrictive. anyway the removal of the EPA BS will improve the cold start response time

I am really not a fan of the hybrid 2 stroke engine technology either I have had REALLY bad luck with Stihl 4-mix engines blowing, but I am giving Stihl 4-mix a try again purchased one FC 110 Edger don't expect longer than 1 years of use too if history repeats. I too am not a fan of Stihl blowers or the valves; especially when their are options with NO Valves

Went with the shinny, can't wait to use it.

TheC-Master
04-24-2009, 12:25 AM
I took the spark arrestor & baffle out of Shindy 802 as I do with all my 2 cycle equipment, and WOW I thought It was strong before what a improvement from a cold start. The baffle is so restrictive. anyway the removal of the EPA BS will improve the cold start response time

I am really not a fan of the hybrid 2 stroke engine technology either I have had REALLY bad luck with Stihl 4-mix engines blowing, but I am giving Stihl 4-mix a try again purchased one FC 110 Edger don't expect longer than 1 years of use too if history repeats. I too am not a fan of Stihl blowers or the valves; especially when their are options with NO Valves

I must be the only person who has had no issue with the 4mix then?

nosparkplugs
04-24-2009, 12:30 AM
I had several low serial number 4-mix units with the soft valve guides; which has been debated to death on here. Also the Valves do need to be adjusted depending on your hours of use to hard for me to keep track of, I'm lazy I guess. For us one day of use is 8 hours or hard weedeating or edging that adds up, and BOOM these 4-mix engines cost me some serious $$change$$. FS 250r's now, and I just kept/use the old FC 110 edger heads on the FS250r's, and we have one dedicated new FC 110 were trying to kill:)

I must be the only person who has had no issue with the 4mix then?

jsf343
04-24-2009, 01:38 AM

REALLY?! wow, I will have to try that, excuse my ignorance but what baffle? I understand the plug arrestor and will pull it, but what baffle, seen them on mower decks and what not. I am thrilled to hear that seems to make a difference for you, nothing worse then pulling on the stupid thing for 4 or 5 pulls first thing in the morning. I really like that blower too, just a pain to start and feels like it should have 1 more gear to it if not for all the epa crap.

ed2hess
04-24-2009, 05:12 PM
If you are interested in getting another unit that will last 8 years then there is only one answer and that is straight 2 stroke. Maybe in the next 8 years they will get all the problems with the valve machines fixed.

Richard Martin
04-24-2009, 06:12 PM
I like the Sthil because of the weight, I'm not getting any younger! but not crazy about having to have the valves adjusted yearly?

You set the valves one time at 130 hours (when it's well broken in) and never again. And they do start up very well, even when ice cold. Mine starts on the first or second pull every time.

Yater
04-24-2009, 06:16 PM
My ebz7001 runs like crap occasionally. It's less than a year old and will stutter and bog sometimes (after it's well warmed up). It's a workhorse for leaf cleanups but I hate my redmax dealer and will try stihl (br600) next time because of him.

dave k
04-24-2009, 08:11 PM

How do you remove the baffle, where is it at?
The screen should just pull out correct?

nosparkplugs
04-25-2009, 01:17 AM
the baffle can be found on the muffler/exhaust their will be two phillip screws remove them, best done with a magnetic screw driver too. Then remove the baffle cover/screen & baffle itself:)

How do you remove the baffle, where is it at?
The screen should just pull out correct?

04-25-2009, 02:40 AM
Dave, I have a 7100 Redmax blower that is 3 years old, only problem I had was the two bolts that hold the carb on started coming lose in the third year and it started losing power. Soon as I figured out the problem it became a horse again. I bought another this year during the annual spring sale, and still have no compaints, actually it is better, the choke is easier, and bigger to get to.The padding is a little softer and makes for a longer day seem shorter, and of course, the power is still there. Good luck on your choice.