PDA

View Full Version : Transplanting hollies??

lawnprosteveo
04-21-2009, 07:25 PM
First, let me apologize if this is a dumb question. My landscaping experience is lacking at best.

I have a customer with 3 very large hollies. They are like small trees. When she bought them she had them planted in large cement decorative pots. Now they are huge...approx. 8' tall or so....and heavy.

My question is this. How do I get those large heavy plants out of the pots without damaging the plant or the expensive pot? There is no way to lift them...nowhere to grab and extremely heavy!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Focal Point Landscapes
04-22-2009, 03:48 AM
First warn the client that damage could occur to the pot and/or plant - then fully saturate the root , lay the plant on its side , secure the pot and pull on the plant . May require mechanical assistance :)

AGLA
04-22-2009, 07:43 AM
The good news is that the roots should hold the soil together very well. I would not soak it in order to keep the rootball in tact. If you can lay the trees and pots over on their sides and pull the pots off, you should have a very nice compact rootball that you can wrap.

lawnprosteveo
04-22-2009, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the replies.

BostonBull
04-22-2009, 04:08 PM
I second the soaking method as well. BUT! I would lay on its side and SOAK the plant washing as much soil away as possible. This will make extraction easier, but more importantly, will allow for a root evaluation. More than likely the Holly is potbound, and has girdling roots which will need to be pruned before planting. if left alone they will kill the tree. Bare rooting also allows you to "lay" the roots out in the hole when planting, find the root flare, and like said above give a visual of whats going on in that zone.

Good luck!