PDA

View Full Version : Estimating Help For Much Needed Work

J.R. Services
04-21-2009, 07:29 PM
Alright here's the deal: I've worked for a very large company for the past two years and this year is my first year on my own, I have been very lucky to hookup with a neighbor who is a contractor that does mostly government contracts. He has provided me the opportunity to be his sole subcontractor for yard work and I now need to give him an estimate several different services for a government housing facility. It is approximately 6 acres of mowing with a decent (good bit) of weed whacking that also needs to be aerated, fertilized 2x a year with triple ten, one pre emergent weed treatment, and one broadleaf treatment. Edging is also required once a month, do you guys charge by the foot? There is also minimal weeding mulch beds bimonthly. In addition to all of that there are two other smaller sections that are mowed and trimmed monthly. How do you guys charge for trimming and pruning shrubs, small trees and other plants, and they also need 150 pansies in the spring and 30 mums in the fall. I already estimated the mulching. The guy that mowed it last year, not a professional just a guy with a zero turn (not sure what size), said it took him "all day" to mow and trim.
So if anyone would be interested in giving me a little help with estimates for one or all catagories (seperate): mowing, trimming, edging, trim and prune, fertilize, planting flowers, weeding, lawn weed control, and aerating. Thanks so much for any help that you can give me.

punt66
04-21-2009, 07:37 PM
hahah so you want us to do the work too? Just figure it out piece by piece.

J.R. Services
04-21-2009, 07:43 PM
No, sorry. Let me rephrase this. I'd like to have some input on the info i need to make a good estimate. Example: how much fertilizer per acre and how long to spread, approx how long to mow 6 acres with a 62" ztr, and the going rates for edging and pruning, aerating.

punt66
04-21-2009, 07:47 PM
No, sorry. Let me rephrase this. I'd like to have some input on the info i need to make a good estimate. Example: how much fertilizer per acre and how long to spread, approx how long to mow 6 acres with a 62" ztr, and the going rates for edging and pruning, aerating.
\
Are you going to use weed control? You need to be a licensed applicator to apply weed control and a licensed applicator knows application rates so i will assume your not licensed. I would sub that out.

DennisF
04-21-2009, 08:20 PM
Fertilize at a rate of one pound per thousand square feet on most northern grasses. Applying at one pound per thousand sf lets you fertilize more often and keeps the growth rates from getting out of hand. Some people might fertilize at higher rates to increase growth rates, but I don't care for over fertilized lawns. To much maintenance for my liking. About 45 pounds per acre should do it. Mowing 6 acres on a 62 inch ZTR should take 2-1/2 to 3 hours....maybe less if you can mow at close to the mowers top speed without rattling your teeth too much.

Where I live edging is always done as part of the service. Once an edge has been established it takes very little time to edge pavement. Edging landscape beds is also part of the service where I live, so you need to figure out how long it will take you to edge everything including the beds if you want the property to look professionaly maintained. If it takes another hour to edge everything I would add $50-$60 to the per service price.

Since this is a government job... you do know that they will take the low bid.. right? So be prepared to submit a bid that might be considerably below what you think the job would pay in the private sector.

Good luck!

J.R. Services
04-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks, I think mowing will take me probably 3+ hours because of all tight spaces and trimming.

J.R. Services
04-26-2009, 08:39 PM
mowing is $350+, and estimations on times for overseed and aerating?

hitechlm
04-26-2009, 08:41 PM
sounds like your in over your head if you have to ask these questions

J.R. Services
04-27-2009, 11:14 AM
the commerical overseeded runs at approximately 15,000 sq ft/hr so about 3hr/acre if I just run one of them, probably run 2 and get it done in a day, 28/hr for labor plus $200 in rental of overseeders and $100 in fescue seed. So I'm looking at $700 for overseeding. Mulching is approximately 10-11yds, $675. The only question I have left is how long will it take to core aerate close to 6 acres with a 36" tow behind aerator and the current average hourly price.