PDA

View Full Version : How do I keep my mower from moving?????

rmcouto
04-21-2009, 10:21 PM
I am in my 4th year of a small landscape business and finally purchased a 48 inch walk behind. I also purchased a new 5x8 trailer. My question is how do I keep my mower from rolling around while driving. I do put it in gear, but it seems to still move a bit.. Any suggestions???

weeble67
04-21-2009, 10:26 PM
I don't know about Mass, but in Ohio state law requires you secure your load. I use Pro Locker, but there are plenty of other methods. At a minimum I would suggest you use ratchet straps.

deerewashed
04-21-2009, 10:27 PM
dont put it in gear it may screw it up. screw a 2x4 right bihind and infront of the drive tire so you can just drive it up and over the first block and fit the drive tire snug in between the 2 2x4s

doubleedge
04-21-2009, 11:21 PM
I would highly recommend fastraps (http://www.fastrap.us/index.htm). The link takes you to their main site, but you can get them cheaper at northern tool (I think).

EagleGrounds
04-22-2009, 10:58 AM
I don't know about Mass, but in Ohio state law requires you secure your load. I use Pro Locker, but there are plenty of other methods. At a minimum I would suggest you use ratchet straps.

You forgot just a little bit, you only need 1 ratchet strap for it to qualify as secured.

I use ratchet straps, but i am working on designing my own latch system that should make it quick and secure.

I would always reccomend securing it, espcally on a little trailer like that, it will sway alot, the last thing you want is for your mower to sway with it and then tip off!

JABBERS
04-22-2009, 11:41 AM
You will mess up the transmission. I know because about 15 years ago it happened to me.

4.3mudder
04-22-2009, 08:16 PM
All my stuff has 2x4's in the floor and hold everything. No one arond here straps their stuff down for a fact.

GravelyNut
04-22-2009, 09:25 PM

One in each corner does the job. Even in an enclosed trailer I use atleast 2 per tractor/mower.

topsites
04-22-2009, 10:06 PM
The absolute worst is if you have to slam on brakes, that mower starts to moving
and about a second into it SLAMS into the front of the trailer, why you think that's bad?

See the bad part isn't what damage this may have caused, that won't stay on your mind long at all.
The bad part is that 500 pounds of weight slamming into the wall like that will PUSH your truck forward many feet!
You will literally FEEL the truck MOVING from the weight that just pushed you in back, hopefully the reason you
slammed on brakes isn't because you were hoping not to drive into someone else's rear bumper.

Now you decide how you want to handle this, whether you want to strap it or chain and hooks or what...
But I would highly recommend some kind of anti-motion security in back :p

JABBERS
04-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Once I slammed on the breaks and broke a 1.5 inch strap. The strap was through both front caster wheels then around my metal rail (2 x 4 inch) on my trailer. The back of my walk behind shifted and broke the strap.

CLARK LAWN
04-22-2009, 10:24 PM
You forgot just a little bit, you only need 1 ratchet strap for it to qualify as secured.

I use ratchet straps, but i am working on designing my own latch system that should make it quick and secure.

I would always reccomend securing it, espcally on a little trailer like that, it will sway alot, the last thing you want is for your mower to sway with it and then tip off!

acually you are required to use a minimium of 2 plus one for every 10K pounds. i know a guy that got insucre load ticket for only having 1 starp on a tamper that was one his trailer.

AVLC
04-23-2009, 02:00 PM
. screw a 2x4 right bihind and infront of the drive tire so you can just drive it up and over the first block and fit the drive tire snug in between the 2 2x4s

He' right that will hold the mower no problem and very quick nothing else needed it holds our 60'' hydro walkbehind for 15 yrs. never had a problem

GravelyNut
04-23-2009, 04:45 PM
He' right that will hold the mower no problem and very quick nothing else needed it holds our 60'' hydro walkbehind for 15 yrs. never had a problem
A good bounce will prove you wrong. Tie them down or face the fines if caught. Also, if your load comes loose in an accident because it wasn't tied down properly, even if the accident wasn't your fault, you'll still get a ticket.

AVLC
04-23-2009, 05:25 PM
gravely nut i guess you could spend extra time at every job tying your machines down but if you where to follow all the laws you wouldn't make any money because according to the law machines need to be tied down in both directions. And for everyone with a dually towing a tandem axle trailer your overweight. Trust me the mower wont go anywhere.

CLARK LAWN
04-23-2009, 08:10 PM
gravely nut i guess you could spend extra time at every job tying your machines down but if you where to follow all the laws you wouldn't make any money because according to the law machines need to be tied down in both directions. And for everyone with a dually towing a tandem axle trailer your overweight. Trust me the mower wont go anywhere.

trust me it can and will move.

GravelyNut
04-23-2009, 09:56 PM
5 minutes tiedown time can save hours of repairs and dollars in fines. Set your trailer up so that you have the tie downs and attachment points setup for your equipment once and you'll not waste your time. I've seen all sorts of machines come into the shop because people wouldn't take the time to tie down their equipment. How many hours work will it take you to replace your damaged equipment? ZTRs/walkbehinds don't take falling off a trailer at 40 MPH very well.

Also, I have a dually and a dual axle trailer. And I'm never overweight. 6 weigh station stops in one day can prove that.

Horsepower Lawns
04-23-2009, 10:37 PM
5 minutes tiedown time can save hours of repairs and dollars in fines.

Forget about the fines & repairs. Can you live knowing that the 1min. you didn't take to strap down your mower killed someone?

AVLC
04-24-2009, 08:45 PM
Duallys with dual axle trailers are illegal unless you have medical card, dot registration inspection fees and a whole list of requirements. At least in CT. The actual weight is 18,000 anything over needs to meet those requirements

Horsepower Lawns
04-24-2009, 10:06 PM
Duallys with dual axle trailers are illegal unless you have medical card, dot registration inspection fees and a whole list of requirements. At least in CT. The actual weight is 18,000 anything over needs to meet those requirements

In most states, anything over 10,001lbs GVWR needs that stuff. So, if you have a 1/2 ton & a duel axle trailer you need that stuff.

GravelyNut
04-25-2009, 08:41 AM
The actual weight depends on what you have in them. It is only the GCWR of the two that exceeds your state's limits. My dually and dual axle trailer weigh just under 9K empty. The GCWR is 21.5K while the GVWR is 11.4K for the truck and 7K for the trailer. Plus there are 6K GVWR trailers and 5K ones too that are dual axles just to get around those rules.

And yes I have loaded mine to the 17K range and gotten weighed in several states without any problems. FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, WV, OH to name them.

GravelyNut
04-25-2009, 08:50 AM
Forget about the fines & repairs. Can you live knowing that the 1min. you didn't take to strap down your mower killed someone?

Nope!

I got inspected at the FL AG inspection station about a year ago where I had to open the trailer. They took one look and saw everything tied down and I was on my way. Even running around SE Ohio between the house and farm with the single axle flatbed trailer and one mower, it gets 4 straps. Pain to load back on a trailer if you should lose it off.

AVLC
04-25-2009, 03:19 PM
its not what the weight is is the gvwr of the truck and trailer combined. We got stopped by DOT with are 4x4 mitsu towing one of our mowing trailers. So now we had to get the gvwr rating on the trailer lowered so we could leaglly tow

GravelyNut
04-25-2009, 08:36 PM
its not what the weight is is the gvwr of the truck and trailer combined. We got stopped by DOT with are 4x4 mitsu towing one of our mowing trailers. So now we had to get the gvwr rating on the trailer lowered so we could leaglly tow
Then it is as I said, the GCWR. And it only applies to your state's vehicles in this case. CT can not legally go after a vehicle that isn't registered in your state for that weight.

PROCUT1
04-26-2009, 12:55 AM
Holy smokes

Its not complicated

Tie the thing down and it wont move. And you wont get a ticket when you meet Mr. DOT

Learned my lesson. I T-boned a car who ran an intersection. Had a dodge pickup and a 28 ft box trailer with 2 ZTRs in it.

One of the ZTRs ended up on the back bumper of the truck right through the front of the trailer. The other one flipped ass over end and was resting on the first one.

And that was with 2x4s screwed to the floor and not going very fast.

In the end the other partys insurance paid for the damage to my truck, the tongue of the trailer, but refused to pay anything for the machines or the trailer because it could have been prevented had the machine been secured.

10,000 in out of pocket damage that I could have prevented with $50 in straps.

EVERYTHING gets tied down now. Even a shovel in the bed of a truck.

corey4671
04-26-2009, 01:08 AM
those of you whining about it taking too long to strap something down...sorry...not buying it. Fastraps. takes me all of 30 seconds to slip the strap over the wheel and bind it down. It's part of my routine. WHen I pull up to a job, I slip the straps off as I'm pulling the pins on the gate.

nosparkplugs
04-26-2009, 01:43 AM
E-track works great, almost flush on all mounting surface's and does not get in the way like other systems I love the stuff:)

unkownfl
05-13-2009, 01:53 AM
Holy smokes

Its not complicated

Tie the thing down and it wont move. And you wont get a ticket when you meet Mr. DOT

Learned my lesson. I T-boned a car who ran an intersection. Had a dodge pickup and a 28 ft box trailer with 2 ZTRs in it.

One of the ZTRs ended up on the back bumper of the truck right through the front of the trailer. The other one flipped ass over end and was resting on the first one.

And that was with 2x4s screwed to the floor and not going very fast.

In the end the other partys insurance paid for the damage to my truck, the tongue of the trailer, but refused to pay anything for the machines or the trailer because it could have been prevented had the machine been secured.

10,000 in out of pocket damage that I could have prevented with $50 in straps.

EVERYTHING gets tied down now. Even a shovel in the bed of a truck.

You should have filed a lawsuit and said the straps broke because of illegal driving behavior of their insured. No way would I settle for that maybe your insurance wouldn't pay but theirs should if they were at fault.

weeble67
05-13-2009, 06:35 AM
You should have filed a lawsuit and said the straps broke because of illegal driving behavior of their insured. No way would I settle for that maybe your insurance wouldn't pay but theirs should if they were at fault.

Don't you think lieing to the Police Officer and to the insurance agency who was investigating it would have been a mess? I don't believe he was using straps. I think he was saying he learned his lesson and now everything gets strapped down.

unkownfl
05-13-2009, 07:43 PM
my bad I thought he said they broke but that was a post before his. I strap mine down with one but it should have two but since it is equipment it should have 4 to pass dot inspection two up front two in the back. I believe if you have a enclosed trailer you dont need to tie down.

SperaLandscaping
05-13-2009, 08:30 PM
I just bought Prolockers for my trailer. They work great one pin you pull, drive in and it locks automatically. They are like $175 per machine but work great and save so much time compared to strapping machines down. The time you would save would pay for them in no time..

SperaLandscaping
05-13-2009, 08:32 PM
Sorry just read back that you have a walkbehind, Price should be even cheaper like $129.. Check out Prolockers.com

unkownfl
05-13-2009, 08:36 PM
http://www.junglejimsap.com/mholder.html

SiteSolutions
05-14-2009, 12:04 AM
The actual weight depends on what you have in them. It is only the GCWR of the two that exceeds your state's limits. My dually and dual axle trailer weigh just under 9K empty. The GCWR is 21.5K while the GVWR is 11.4K for the truck and 7K for the trailer. Plus there are 6K GVWR trailers and 5K ones too that are dual axles just to get around those rules.

And yes I have loaded mine to the 17K range and gotten weighed in several states without any problems. FL, GA, SC, NC, VA, WV, OH to name them.

I think he was talking about a dually pulling a trailer with dual tandems, like an 8 wheel trailer with a pair of 10k axles.

My class A license says it's good for a big truck (>26,000 lbs) with vehicle in tow greater than 10k; a class B license is for big truck with vehicle in tow less than 10k, at least around here. I'm not a 50 states expert and could probably learn something new about just my state law, but I have had this CDL for 10 years now.

My guess is that if you are using a big 20k gooseneck behind your duallie, and are engaged in commerce with it, you should have a health card and probably some class of cdl. That's just a guess. It may be that since the GVWR of the duallie isn't >26,000 lbs, it doesn't require the cdl? Or maybe not even a health card. That's still a lot of truck to be tearing around town in, whether it is illegal or not.

unkownfl
05-14-2009, 12:17 AM
I think he was talking about a dually pulling a trailer with dual tandems, like an 8 wheel trailer with a pair of 10k axles.

My class A license says it's good for a big truck (>26,000 lbs) with vehicle in tow greater than 10k; a class B license is for big truck with vehicle in tow less than 10k, at least around here. I'm not a 50 states expert and could probably learn something new about just my state law, but I have had this CDL for 10 years now.

My guess is that if you are using a big 20k gooseneck behind your duallie, and are engaged in commerce with it, you should have a health card and probably some class of cdl. That's just a guess. It may be that since the GVWR of the duallie isn't >26,000 lbs, it doesn't require the cdl? Or maybe not even a health card. That's still a lot of truck to be tearing around town in, whether it is illegal or not.

If you have no name on your stuff you dont need a cdl. I dont have to worry class a here with medical card just missing dot numbers.

VirginiaLawnCare
05-14-2009, 12:47 AM
The absolute worst is if you have to slam on brakes, that mower starts to moving
and about a second into it SLAMS into the front of the trailer, why you think that's bad?

See the bad part isn't what damage this may have caused, that won't stay on your mind long at all.
The bad part is that 500 pounds of weight slamming into the wall like that will PUSH your truck forward many feet!
You will literally FEEL the truck MOVING from the weight that just pushed you in back, hopefully the reason you
slammed on brakes isn't because you were hoping not to drive into someone else's rear bumper.

Now you decide how you want to handle this, whether you want to strap it or chain and hooks or what...
But I would highly recommend some kind of anti-motion security in back :p

:laugh::laugh: that happened to me a couple weeks ago the strap broke and my two walk behinds SLAMMED into the front of my trailer I wasn't a happy camper. Except the weight didn't budge the F350 I was more worried about my mowers.

terrapro
05-14-2009, 01:21 PM
If you have no name on your stuff you dont need a cdl. I dont have to worry class a here with medical card just missing dot numbers.

If you are doing business with a vehicle it needs to be commercially registered. If it is registered commercial it needs to follow DOT laws fed and state.

I'll even point you in the right direction, here is the link. http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/

Horsepower Lawns
06-23-2009, 11:11 PM

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=280136
http://wcco.com/local/oakdale.rollover.accident.2.1055891.html
Story:
According to authorities, the crash happened as the driver was heading north on 694 at about 11:30 p.m.

According to the State Patrol, the driver swerved to avoid a fertilizer spreader in the road, rolled over and left the road at 10th Street.

There were three people inside the car.

One of them, a 19-year-old man, was thrown from the vehicle and killed. The State Patrol said he was not wearing a seat belt. He was a passenger.

The driver and the other passenger were injured but are expected to be alright.

The identity of the victim has not been released.

So, anyone still not want to strap your stuff down.:hammerhead:

mngrassguy
06-23-2009, 11:33 PM
Thanks Horsepower for passing this on. This was a completely avoidable tragedy. I can't imagine how the guy that lost the spreader feels right now.

GravelyNut
06-24-2009, 08:08 PM

Some states have gotten sneaky about the GCWR. Add the trailer and tow vehicle GVWR together if they don't have your vehicles GCWR handy. Now in the case of a dually rated 11400 and a 15K trailer even empty and you'd be in trouble without a CDL. Empty weights might not even be 15K total but you're still out of luck. And yes, having a correct CDL solves that worry. The scary thing is, with a Class B you could have a loaded truck and trailer that weigh more than the semi but still be legal. Most states are 20K/axle limits for the trucks so a tripple rear axle dump and a 10K trailer would weigh more than the normal semi at 80K

Duffster
07-04-2009, 02:34 AM
The scary thing is, with a Class B you could have a loaded truck and trailer that weigh more than the semi but still be legal. Most states are 20K/axle limits for the trucks so a tripple rear axle dump and a 10K trailer would weigh more than the normal semi at 80K

I wouldn't worry much about that. The difference between a Class A and a Class B has less to do with weight and more to do with it being a combo vehicle and all the details about the trailer.

louisianarebel
08-11-2009, 03:32 AM
So i'd be in trouble with this? http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/louisianarebel14/demco-1.jpg

Duffster
08-11-2009, 09:45 AM
So i'd be in trouble with this?

If you don't have a CDL......Yes

In trouble for the weight.......Not here.

louisianarebel
08-11-2009, 12:07 PM
If you don't have a CDL......Yes

In trouble for the weight.......Not here.

Never thought about getting a cdl before. I always thought it was for 18 wheelers...:confused: thanks for the info

Duffster
08-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Never thought about getting a cdl before. I always thought it was for 18 wheelers...:confused: thanks for the info

As far as weight goes, CDL requirements start at 26k and you are ~29k or more.

You need a Restricted Class "A" for that truck and a Med Card.

If you travel interstate you will also need USDOT #'s.

louisianarebel
08-11-2009, 12:57 PM
As far as weight goes, CDL requirements start at 26k and you are ~29k or more.

You need a Restricted Class "A" for that truck and a Med Card.

If you travel interstate you will also need USDOT #'s.

I only pulled material durring hurricane work, most the time i pull a bobcat around and thats not really often anymore.. How old do you have to be for a CDL?

Duffster
08-11-2009, 01:00 PM
I only pulled material durring hurricane work, most the time i pull a bobcat around and thats not really often anymore.. How old do you have to be for a CDL?

18 intrastate, 21 interstate

Do you use that trailer for the bobcat?

louisianarebel
08-11-2009, 04:27 PM
18 intrastate, 21 interstate

Do you use that trailer for the bobcat?
Thats good im 19. Yea and the little gooseneck sometimes
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/louisianarebel14/PIC-0051.jpg

Duffster
08-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Thats good im 19. Yea and the little gooseneck sometimes
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/louisianarebel14/PIC-0051.jpg

CDL is based of of GVWR, so you would need one to pull the 20k goose empty.

topsites
08-11-2009, 06:02 PM

All depends where you live, some states it's 10k

Duffster
08-11-2009, 06:11 PM

Only CA;)...........

louisianarebel
08-11-2009, 07:41 PM
What if im not getting paid to pull it or making money off it? Like when we do favors for friends or somthing, do i need a CDL if thats mostly what i do?
Thanks for putting up with all the stupid questions by the way.

Duffster
08-11-2009, 08:54 PM
What if im not getting paid to pull it or making money off it? Like when we do favors for friends or somthing, do i need a CDL if thats mostly what i do?
Thanks for putting up with all the stupid questions by the way.

Here it has to be a RV before it is CDL exempt, I don't know about that part in Michigan, I would think you would have a hard time saying that it was non-commercial.

ps. I don't mind the questions.

louisianarebel
08-11-2009, 08:56 PM
Here it has to be a RV before it is CDL exempt, I don't know about that part in Michigan, I would think you would have a hard time saying that it was non-commercial.

ps. I don't mind the questions.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to have to look into a CDL soon..

Duffster
08-11-2009, 09:40 PM

You got any examples?

mngrassguy
08-12-2009, 12:02 AM
Only CA;)...........

Or Minnesota

Duffster
08-12-2009, 12:11 AM
Or Minnesota

Nope...........

South Florida Lawns
08-12-2009, 12:18 AM
I got so much equipment packed in my trailer theres no need to tie it down its all jammed together inside my enclosed thers no room for it to move.

STIHL GUY
08-12-2009, 11:03 PM
a 2x4 will hold it in place or rachet straps work pretty well

phil5
01-14-2012, 05:32 PM
Try to use this!!!!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=4266122#post4266122

Or see below.

ProLockers Trailer Wheel Lock Down System Lawnmowers ATV’S Landscapers look!

Check me out on Ebay, user pcb1303 Ebay item# 230378274152 I have been selling Prolockers for years and 100% feedback!!! I am a paid sponsor of this site and I may terminate my sponsorship at any given time, so make sure you write down my contact information as I will be selling the original left over stock of Prolockers for years to come.

Here is the story, I bought up ALL of the “Original Prolockers made from 2002 to 2007” with extra parts (yes, the pins) a few years back shortly after ProEquipment (Prolockers.com) the founder went bankrupt. These units are VERY popular as I have sold hundreds of them in a short time and hundreds more on hand so keep my phone number I will be around for a long time! I have sold these on Lawnsite for about a year, but now I am back in full force and I want to personally thank all of you who have purchased the Prolockers from me in the past with hopes of many more new customers, tell all of you friends. Please post reply’s to my add here and tell everyone of your experience with the purchase of a Prolocker from me, GOODJ or BadL!

New in the box left over original stock, never used or opened.

LOWEST PRICE YOU WILL EVER FIND!!

ProLockers Features:
∑ Heavy Duty steel construction
∑ Powder-coated finish
∑ All hardware and instructions included
∑ Installs in 20 minutes or less
∑ Only one ProLockers needed per piece of equipment up to 1,500 lbs.
∑ Secures equipment and prevents damage
∑ Mounts to left or right side of equipment
∑ Comes complete with mounting brackets and hardware.
∑ Optional Padlock For Theft Prevention
∑ Easy 1 Pin Removal From Trailer Deck
∑ Eliminate Chains, Straps, and Tie-Downs
∑ The most important one of all, Exceeds DOT Requirements 393.100 and 393.102 (try finding this on the new reproduction ones made from overseas)!!!

Below are the models and their capacity. Please use the tire size for your application as listed below to help you determine the unit that will best match your needs.

MODEL #PE-WL 325
12 1/2" to 16" Tire Height
7 1/8" Tire Width
Fits most zero turn mowers, lawn/garden tractors, and
some snow blowers, stump grinders, and golf carts
List Price: $169.95
Our Price: $60.00 each OR 2 for $100.00 (spring special).

MODEL #PE-WL 425
20” to 26” Tire Height
11 1/8” Tire Width
Fits most ATVs, Utility Vehicles, and some large golf carts
List Price: $249.95
Our Price: $125.00

I also have many extra sets of pins; they are sold in a set of 2 (one fixed and one operational) for the cost $17.95 with free shipping.

SHIPPING USA only, flat rate of $15.00 for each Prolocker.

PAYMENT, PayPal, Bank Check or Postal Money order ONLY.

I have several hundred of the ORIGINAL STOCK ProLockers, “MADE IN THE USA” and not the ones made overseas that you would pay $129.99 for. I will ship FedEx ground all insured from FedEx for $100.00 per box (no PO boxes PLEASE), I also ship truck freight and I offer high volume discount buying. Contact me for more information. SCAMERS NEED NOT TO APPLY, WE ALL KNOW WHO YOU ARE!!!

Phil 715-551-2215 (cell)
Wausau, WI 54401