PDA

View Full Version : Dump Inserts

sjmcdevitt87
04-22-2009, 12:10 AM
I want to get a dump insert for my truck. Does anybody recommend any brands? Should i buy new or used? If i buy used how much is it to replace the pump? I appreciate any suggestions Thanks

vmderrick
04-23-2009, 09:39 PM
I have heard good things about truckcraft inserts. They are aluminum and are extremely light so it doesnt put a lot of stress on your truck

lawn king
04-26-2009, 07:51 PM
By the time you figure the loss of payload and volume plus the cost of the unit, it just doe's not add up? I never could get the mindset of dump inserts?

hosejockey2002
04-26-2009, 11:31 PM
By the time you figure the loss of payload and volume plus the cost of the unit, it just doe's not add up? I never could get the mindset of dump inserts?

Ah, the words of a man who has probably never owned one. Considering the time it takes to unload a pickup by hand, I figure that mine saves me $25 every time I push the button. It doesn't reduce volume, the whole load just sits about 6" higher, which is a consideration but not a big problem. The loss of payload, about 1,000 lbs. Unless I'm hauling dirt or gravel, the box fills up long before I run out of payload. It helps to have a pickup with good payload capacity. If you have a 4wd crewcab diesel unless it's a dually you're not going to be able to haul much without exceeding GVWR. I can put 2,800 lbs. in my insert without exceeding any of my ratings, and the truck will handle up to 4,000 and still drive down the road just fine.

Does my truck haul as much as a class 4 or 5 dump? No, but my insert has greatly increased the versatility and productivity of my pickup, and the truck and insert cost slightly more than 1/2 the cost of a class 5 small dump truck. Adding dump capability adds to the cost and takes away from the payload of ANY truck, but at least in my case it does in fact pencil out.